Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 3:43am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Cattle/stock cars.......
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Rolling Stock
(Moderator: CHESSIEMIKE)
   Cattle/stock cars.......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Cattle/stock cars.......  (Read 1739 times)
JerseyRails815
Former Member
Cattle/stock cars.......

« on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 5:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

All:

Are cattle cars operated anywhere on US rails, or has this once commonplace operation been totally replaced by trucks? (something is telling me that cattle cars are no longer used, but I am not sure)

Also, if they are no longer used, what railroad was the last to use them?

I know that livestock was handled on the NYS&W into the 1960's; the NYC leased stock cars from NISX (North American Car Corp.) during that same decade.

Appreciate any info......

"JerseyRails815)

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013, 5:05pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
TAB
Historian
Re: Cattle/stock cars.......

« Reply #1 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 6:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

....apparently, by the end of the 1980s, the transport of live stock by rail fell victim to economic realities as the financial burden of an extensive infrastructure along with manpower requirements made the profit, generated by hauling this commodity, negligible.....Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:08pm »

I agree with TAB.  It's probably been close to thirty years since I've seen a cattle car while watching trains.  The big stock yards in Chicago and on the East Coast are gone.  Meat packing is done in the Midwest and the product is sent to market in refrigerated trailers or refrigerated freight cars.

It was also necessary to let livestock out of the cars to exercise and water them.  That is a costly and time consuming process.

JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 10:32pm »

Thank you, both; appreciate your input.

My last personal recollection of stock cars were the ones I'd see on NYS&W freights passing through North Bergen (NJ), back in the 1960's.

These cars were destined for the long-defunct Charles Miller Slaughterhouse, which was also located in North Bergen.

Again, here was a once-commonplace operation that has vanished into the history books.......

"JerseyRails815"

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013, 3:31am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 10:43pm »

Also of interest.......

http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/Sandifer/Clinics/Stk/01.htm

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsRRList.aspx?id=29

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013, 10:55pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 10:59pm »

Here's another good page on stock car and stock car operations (interesting history, data, and photos).......

http://www.american-rails.com/railroad-stock-cars.html

JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:20pm »

One of the last stock cars built (1964), former UP #43009 is today preserved.......

http://www.sdrm.org/roster/freight/stk43009/

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:21pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:29pm »

This 1943 photo shows a number of stock cars in the consist of a SF freight (location unknown)........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Santa_Fe_stock_car_train_rev.jpg

JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:52pm »

A rare view from 1904, showing sheep being unloaded from the upper level of a Wisconsin Central stock car (at Chicago)........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Unloading_a_stock_car_rev.jpg

Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 7:35am »

Many cities had their own stock yards.  The Chicago stock yards were huge.  There was even an "L" branch which went to the stock yards.  This branch was discontinued many years ago.

Baltimore had its own stock yards in Southwest Baltimore.  Baltimore Union Stockyards closed sometime in the late Fifties.

The cost of transporting livestock became too expensive.

Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 7:47am »

The stockyards "L" line was opened in 1908.  It was 2.9 miles long and had a total of eight stations.  The stock yards reached their peak around 1924 and began a slow decline over a period of many years.  The line was discontinued on October 6, 1957 after several of the major packing plants closed and moved their operations out of the Chicago area.  CTA operated a bus service in place of the elevated line for about fifteen more years.

Information from the Chicago-L.org web site.

No more stock cars?  As Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know...the rest of the story."

Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 7:52am »

Stock cars were commonly included in toy train sets.  Both Lionel and Ives made stock cars for their train sets.  

In the late Forties and throughout much of the Fifties, Lionel and Amercan Flyer had operating stock cars which had "cattle" that exited the car, roamed around a platform, and then proceeded to go back into the car.

JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:10am »

on Sep 3rd, 2013, 7:52am, Inlet-Longport wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Stock cars were commonly included in toy train sets.  Both Lionel and Ives made stock cars for their train sets.  

In the late Forties and throughout much of the Fifties, Lionel and Amercan Flyer had operating stock cars which had "cattle" that exited the car, roamed around a platform, and then proceeded to go back into the car.

Yes, these were "hot" items in LionelLand, back in the day; it boggles the mind to think how many were sold, several decades ago.

Also, tin-litho train sets (such as Marx and the once-commonplace Made In Japan items) also often had cattle cars as part of the set.

The short lived "UNIQUE" line also offered a cattle car, about 1949/1950.......

"JerseyRails815"

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:21am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:18am »

on Sep 3rd, 2013, 7:35am, Inlet-Longport wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Many cities had their own stock yards.  The Chicago stock yards were huge.  There was even an "L" branch which went to the stock yards.  This branch was discontinued many years ago.

Baltimore had its own stock yards in Southwest Baltimore.  Baltimore Union Stockyards closed sometime in the late Fifties.

The cost of transporting livestock became too expensive.

Into the 1950's, the PRR also had an extensive stockyard/cattle shed near the old passenger terminal/ferry slips at Exchange Place in Jersey City.

There were also a number of meat-packing plants in Jersey City, many years ago, when the railroads were still in command in the area.

The old SWIFT plant was located near the Holland Tunnel (Jersey City), adjacent to the ERIE tracks........

"JerseyRails815"

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:19am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:27am »

Lionel's #3656 operating cattle car, a timeless classic.......

http://www.robertstrains.com/photo17.htm

JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:33am »

Here is an excellent page on the old UNION STOCKYARDS in Chicago; there is interesting info here on rail operations here as well..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Stock_Yards

JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:37am »

This detailed page (w/historical photos) highlights the operation of the old CRT/CTA Stock Yards Branch.

Interesting to see the "L" trains travelling straight through the yards themselves.......

http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/stockyards.html

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:43am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 4th, 2013, 12:48pm »

An article on SF stock yards.......

http://www.atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Clinics/Stk/04.htm

(courtesy of Santa Fe Historical & Modeling Society)

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2013, 12:50pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #18 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 8:37am »

Robert R. Young, a railroad executive who worked for the C&O and the NYC
was famous for his advertising slogan "A hog can cross the country without changing trains but you can't."

He was referring to the fact that cross country passengers had to change trains either in Chicago or St. Louis.

Young tried unsuccessfully to end this time worn railroad practice.  It still exists.

Most of the stock cars I remember from my days of watching PRR freights go past Edgewood, MD on the NEC were made of wood.

Evidently there was still some need for stock cars as late as 1964 when the last ones were built.  I can't remember when I last saw such cars.  Hopefully someone can find out when the last ones were white lined.  My guess is that ATSF and UP probably were the last operators of such equipment.

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2013, 8:43am by Inlet-Longport » Logged
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 9:57am »

on Sep 5th, 2013, 8:37am, Inlet-Longport wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Robert R. Young, a railroad executive who worked for the C&O and the NYC
was famous for his advertising slogan "A hog can cross the country without changing trains but you can't."

He was referring to the fact that cross country passengers had to change trains either in Chicago or St. Louis.

Young tried unsuccessfully to end this time worn railroad practice.  It still exists.

Most of the stock cars I remember from my days of watching PRR freights go past Edgewood, MD on the NEC were made of wood.

Evidently there was still some need for stock cars as late as 1964 when the last ones were built.  I can't remember when I last saw such cars.  Hopefully someone can find out when the last ones were white lined.  My guess is that ATSF and UP probably were the last operators of such equipment.

The last ones I can recall seeing were those hauled by the NYS&W, destined for a North Bergen slaughterhouse.

This was back in the 1960's.

As I had mentioned earlier, the PRR once had an extensive cattle-handling facilty at Jersey City, just north of the Exchange Place ferry terminal.

The ones that the NYC used during the 60's were leased from NISX.

These cars were big, with a capacity of 80,000 pounds.......

"JerseyRails815"

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »