Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 3:38am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Private Car `Atalanta'
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Rolling Stock
(Moderator: CHESSIEMIKE)
   Private Car `Atalanta'
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Private Car `Atalanta'  (Read 107 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Private Car `Atalanta'

« on: May 30th, 2013, 10:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Jay Gould's old `Atalanta' sits (san trucks) under cover across the street from the Excelsior house Hotel in Jefferson, TX. Jay, interestingly, stayed at the Excelsior while he was building the I-GN and tried to get the city fathers to offer land and incentives. They wouldn't and he (allegedly) wrote "grass will grow in the streets of Jefferson" in the register when he left. Well, after the Corps of Engineers finally blew the Great Raft on the Red River, the level in Caddo Lake (only natural lake in Texas) and Big Cypress Bayou dropped, the steamboats came no more, and the railroads got the cotton business besides. Jefferson did indeed have grass grow in the streets, but it blow completely away and is a neat place to visit now. Bunch of B&Bs and other things.

Oh - Jay DID build the I-GN (now UP) right along the north and west side of town, and it is real active now. UP and KCS cross on the north side of town and KCS runs along the east side of downtown, couple of blocks from the courthouse (Marion County).

We toured the `Atalanta' when we were in town to celebrate wife's birthday and it is well restored, with period furnishings. Neat few minutes, worth the $5.00 a head. Docent was knowledgeable and we had an enjoyable time. If anybody knows of where a proper stove (cook-stove) can be found - they will be interested as the kitchen lacks the stove..

TAB
Historian
Re: Private Car `Atalanta'
  atalanta-jay-gould-1_smaller.jpg - 81654 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 5th, 2013, 3:01pm »

....I was able to glean this photo from the 'tripadvisor' web page...there are more there but sizing them correctly is problematic and minutes after I achieved success with this one, I forgot what I did....that's happening a lot lately.....hmmmm.....where was I....oh yes the photo.....Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/atalanta-jay-gould-1_smaller.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2013, 5:23pm »

on Jun 5th, 2013, 3:01pm, TAB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
....I was able to glean this photo from the 'tripadvisor' web page...there are more there but sizing them correctly is problematic and minutes after I achieved success with this one, I forgot what I did....that's happening a lot lately.....hmmmm.....where was I....oh yes the photo.....Tom

Yep, that's it all right. Handsome car (it is under cover - roof over it - which is a good idea for preservation considering it is wood construction). It is sitting on cribbing, no trucks. And has A/C and central heat for environmental control and preservation of interior and furnishings.

The furnishings are not original to the car, but are antiques and proper for the period and period photos as to what the car had in the day.

TAB
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2013, 12:14pm »

.....well either I remembered what I had done or discovered a different way to capture and resize the photos but it worked with the results shown below....that car is truly an exquisite show piece.....Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2013, 7:45pm »

Yep, good set of pictures. It is an exquisite car, and i expect i'd have liked to take a ride in it back in the day. It has two staterooms that share a full bath, with a tub.

About all it lacks is the cook-stove for the (very compact) kitchen. That was apparently removed during its years of service post-railroad days.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »