Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 23rd, 2017, 6:17am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Logo Mystery
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Rolling Stock
(Moderator: CHESSIEMIKE)
   Logo Mystery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Logo Mystery  (Read 280 times)
MrEleganza
TRAINing
View Profile  

Logo Mystery

« on: Dec 17th, 2011, 3:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Greetings railfans,

I come here at the suggestion of some people on Metafilter.   I am trying to figure out whose stock the logo I saw - or sort of saw - some time ago belongs to.   I will repost the question I asked there, here:

"Logofilter: Trying to track down a logo on the side of a train I saw that reminded me of the Windows logo.

I live (well I recently moved, but used to live) real close to train tracks, and a couple times I saw a boxcar whizz by with a logo that grabbed my attention. It reminded me of the Windows logo, but (I think) not curvy and with (I think) lines coming out of it of some kind.

I say "I think" because I never got a good look at it. This set off a whole chain of Murphy's Law events where whenever I would stand and watch a train to try to see it again, it wouldn't appear, and if I wasn't paying attention to the train passing by I would see it in my peripheral vision and turn too late to really drink in the image.

Any railheads (is that word?) know what it might be? I know that a lot of boxcars have the logo of the cargo being stored - I saw a lot of Tropicana Orange Juice boxcars - but for some reason I think this is an actual transport company like CSX or Union Pacific. This was on the East Coast of the United States."

Pursuant to other questions people asked me over there, I saw it in Wilmington, Delaware, and I THINK it was a dark red car with a yellow logo.  Not positive on this.

So thanks in advance whether or not you can clear this up for me.  I will link to the metafilter discussion thread in the next post since I don't know if links for new users are allowed.

Thanks again!

MrEleganza
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Logo Mystery

« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2011, 3:03pm »

http://ask.metafilter.com/203571/What-was-this-logo

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2011, 12:58am »

Hi, MrEleganza,

Probably not much help here, but I did, on a hunch, go to google.com and click on their "images" option.  I typed in "railroad logos" and got a page with hundreds of logos on it.  You might head on over and see if one of them gives you the "Aha!" moment.  There is also the option of choosing "railroad logos old".

If you do strike paydirt, could you tell us which one it is?  My interest is piqued now, as well.

Regards, and good hunting,

Norm

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2011, 5:32pm »

Could it have possibly been the Railbox logo? I think Railbox per se is no longer with us, but I swear i saw something with its old logo and new reporting marks - TBOX instead of RBOX, I think.

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24th, 2011, 12:19am »

Clyde, that Railbox logo sure looks like a contender to me-- but of course MrEleganza is the one in the know . . .

Based on the description of a red car with a yellow logo, I came across this-- granted, it's not a boxcar, but it is a dark-red car with a yellow logo that could almost, in peripheral vision, pass for a Windows-type logo . . .

Well, here, see for yourself . . .

http://tc.gc.ca/eng/policy/report-acg-hopper-annual-report-2009-2694.htm

Maybe ? ? ?

Norm

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2011, 12:20am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28th, 2011, 9:55pm »

Yeah, those wheat sheafs on the Canuck gran service hoppers would seem another potential. But - Mr.Eleganza is gonna have to tell.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 4th, 2012, 8:46pm »

My guess would be a SP or ex-SP Golden West Service boxcar.  

See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33167527@N05/6248378788/

Todd K. Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 9:44pm »

I don't think Mr. Eleganza is too bright myself. On the very same Metafilter link he provides here, he calls the members of railfan.net bastards. That's not the way to win friends and gain help Mr. Eleganza.  

Near the bottom of the page at:

http://ask.metafilter.com/203571/What-was-this-logo

"Nary a response at railfan.net yet, the bastards!
posted by mreleganza at 2:25 PM on December 18"

Todd K Stearns

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 3:14pm »

Trifle impatient (not to mention rude and crude) wasn't he?

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2012, 3:56pm »

To say the least. He can ask further questions on here but he'll get no help from me. I think I did answer his question though. Should I delete it and leave him wondering? Nah, that would be sinking to his level.  

Todd K. Stearns

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »