Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 3:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New CSXT Rock Cars
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Rolling Stock
(Moderator: CHESSIEMIKE)
   New CSXT Rock Cars
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New CSXT Rock Cars  (Read 361 times)
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

New CSXT Rock Cars
  CSXT_293016_Rock_Car.jpg - 82852 Bytes
« on: Jan 9th, 2011, 7:33am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

CSX has been getting some new rock cars in service. I think they have bought 200 of these.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/CSXT_293016_Rock_Car.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New CSXT Rock Cars
  CSX_Rock_Car_Door_Contacts.jpg - 42163 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 7:34am »

Is this some kind of door control? If so, how does it work?
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/CSX_Rock_Car_Door_Contacts.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

CSX_Rock_Cars.jpg - 63940 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 7:36am »

Here is a comparison to one of the old style rock cars.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/CSX_Rock_Cars.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2011, 8:01pm »

Xonstruction must be picking up - saw a train of crushed rock coming through here headed south last week. Around 75 cars.  All hoppers, with a variety of reporting marks, but all marked "Aggregate Service Only" and some with rotary couplers on one end.

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 1:52pm »

ChessieMike,  

I would guess those cars are set up for push-button unloading. They look similar to what ballast hoppers have for opening and closing dump doors (UPRR and Herzog as examples), without the hardware installed. Definitely a cool looking car.

Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 2:59am »

CHESSIEMIKE-I've been seeing these cars semi-frequently here in my little corner of the world in southern Maryland on CSX's Pope's Creek subdivision.  

The two coal fired power plants at Chalk Point and Morgantown (MD) had scrubbers installed on their smokestacks, coming on line in the last year or two. They use limestone, hauled in the short cars like the one in your first photo, in the scrubbers to filter the emissions.

Last summer I saw an entire train of these cars when they were brand new-many of the cars were still in numerical order and the graffitti vandals had yet to tag them.

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2011, 3:00am by Aa3rt » Logged
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

K965-23_at_MP.23.jpg - 105423 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26th, 2011, 4:08pm »

This is the longest cut of the new rock cars I have seen to date. K965-23 is shoving back from MP.25 on the Peninsula Sub, 3/25/11. He is at MP.23 and that Brakeman (or in this case Brakewoman) will ride all the way down to MP.20 where they will start switching. Even though there is a nice platform on the end of the cars, she will have to ride on the step because there is not a cross bar at the end of the car. I would think someone would figure out how easy it would be to add one to the end posts that are already there.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/K965-23_at_MP.23.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Rock_Car_293373_small.jpg - 108646 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2014, 9:18pm »

Looks like CSX is reading our posts! I had not looked at any rock cars very close lately. Today I noticed this one. Note the cross bar on the end of the car now. This one was showed a build date of 3/13 and was at Lee Hall, VA on 2/20/14.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/Rock_Car_293373_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

WVa_Jon
Chaser
  CSXT_290771-2.jpg - 30905 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12th, 2016, 2:26pm »

I wondered about these rock cars when I saw a pair of them at a chemical plant near Gallipolis Ferry, WV, last summer. My first thought was that these were buffer cars, but they were actually coupled in between a pair of tank cars.

Here's a photo of one of them, still in the 29XXXX series. It doesn't have "How Tomorrow Moves" under the CSX letters, just three yellow underlines, and it has four outlets, compared to three in pix of the other cars:

Now, about 30 or so years ago, Chessie System had a bunch of these in some kind of service near Hampton/Newport News, VA. I'll try to find a picture of them and upload one. If anything, they look very similar to an amateur's eye.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/CSXT_290771-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2016, 2:32pm by WVa_Jon » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »