Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 3:42am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

WHAT PASSENGER CAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Rolling Stock
(Moderator: CHESSIEMIKE)
   WHAT PASSENGER CAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: WHAT PASSENGER CAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE  (Read 1308 times)
kjohn
Historian
Re: WHAT PASSENGER CAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE

« Reply #40 on: May 29th, 2010, 9:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I would love to have a CP/VIA tail end dome car.  Back in the 80's, I was lucky enough twice to have booked a bedroom in one.  Once, an old buddy and I rode out to BC from Sask in one, and another time, a buddy and I rode back to Sask from BC.  There was hardly anybody on the train, so the steward treated us like we were the owners of the whole darned railroad!!  If I was able to pick power for it, it would be CP/VIA 1898 and 1899 E8's, and /or CP FP7A 4063 and a couple of good old B uinits.  Aw, maybe I would also include a good, smokey old MLW as a helper, mostly for the extra steam generator!!  Well, probably a "torpedo" Geep should be helping as well, right?

1st generation EMD preferred!!
MarkG
TRAINing

« Reply #41 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 5:06am »

Hello all,
That is a question I have pondered seriously ever since someone offered to sell me a smooth-side vista dome car which had started out on the UP.  I would love to have a vista dome car in UP Armour Yellow.  But the dream I keep would be to have a Skytop Lounge car; especially if it were in UP Armour Yellow.  It seems to me to be the best of all worlds.
Regards,
Marko

Marko
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 10:39am »

I agree, a Vista Dome would be nice to own. However, I would choose one such as the Silver Solarium. This is an Observation car, Vista Dome. A really nice Tail Car.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 2:31pm »

on Oct 5th, 2010, 10:39am, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I agree, a Vista Dome would be nice to own. However, I would choose one such as the Silver Solarium. This is an Observation car, Vista Dome. A really nice Tail Car.

Spent some time in one of the ex-Cal Zephyr Sleeper-Dome-Observation Lounges on a long past Amtrak trip from Temple to Chicago (1975 IIRC). We were in a bedroom in one of the Pine-series ex-ATSF 10-6s on the Lone Star (I think it was no longer Texas Chief). Nice view, nice facilities otherwise. Would be a nice possession, especially if internally rebuilt to include a crew room, a suitable kitchen and a master suite (probably have that under the dome). Put Santa Fe-style Pleasure Dome parlor seats in the dome. Yep, that would be a nice ride.

grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 11:59am »

I would really like to have (own) Louis Sockalexis PPCX 800110 Lounge/bedrm/observation car....but I am short by $329,000 give or take a few bucks...I have goals and dreams...this just might fall under both ?

Gord.

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Apr 7th, 2012, 11:05pm »

on Apr 7th, 2012, 11:59am, grobrailman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  I would really like to have (own) Louis Sockalexis PPCX 800110 Lounge/bedrm/observation car....but I am short by $329,000 give or take a few bucks...I have goals and dreams...this just might fall under both ?

Gord.

That's an admirable goal.  I decided to do a Google search for this car, to see what the hubbub is about, and you're right-- that's a swank hunk of vehicle.  Looks like it's brand-new and ready to go to work carrying the markers on the Broadway Limited.

In my searching, I also found this video clip showing the 2008 AAPRCO Special departing San Pedro, CA.  The Special is 24 cars long, and is a visual smorgasboard of passenger train delights.  A little something to please just about everybody.  Here's the consist:

Genesis Locomotive No. 87
Genesis Locomotive No. 99
Caritas, Platform Obs. in D&RGW-inspired livery
Pony Express, Baggage Car painted and lettered for Canadian Pacific
Silver Lariat, an ex-CZ Dome Coach in stainless steel and lettered California Zephyr
Colonial Crafts, a Sleeper painted and lettered for the Pennsylvania Railroad
Tolani, an ex-AT&SF Chair Car in stainless steel and lettered for Santa Fe
City of Angels, lettered for Southern Pacific, but with a paint scheme "based on" SP (sort of)
Overland Trail, a Lounge Car done up in SP Daylight livery
Salisbury Beach, a Sleeper in stainless steel, lettered for Boston & Maine
Chapel Hill, a platform Obs. painted and lettered for Chesapeake & Ohio
The Observatory, Dome car painted in NP North Coast Limited livery (almost)
Beech Grove, in SP Sunset stainless with red letterboard
Northern Sky, a Dome Lounge Observation painted and lettered for Northern Sky Excursions
Northern Dreams, a companion (and matching) Sleeper to Northern Sky
City of Spokane, an Observation painted Great Northern green and orange
Scottish Thistle, a platform Obs painted for Canadian National
Palm Leaf, an ex-AT&SF 10-6 Sleeper in stainless steel and lettered for Pulman
Bella Vista, Dome platform Obs. painted and lettered for Rail Ventures Corp.
Virginia City, platform Obs. in 2-tone Pullman gray (I think this is THE Virginia City)
Burrard, platform Obs. painted for CN
Two Rivers, Sleeper painted and lettered for New York Central
Colorado Pine, Sleeper painted blue-and-white
Hollywood Beach, ex-SAL "Sun Lounge" lettered for Seaboard
? ? ?  unlettered platform obs. painted in a CN-inspired livery (sorta)
Louis Sockalexis Bedroom Lounge Car, painted and lettered for PRR

Here's the link-- enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NemBktonzbM

Decisions, decisions . . .

Norm

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2012, 11:09pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Apr 8th, 2012, 8:39am »

Norm - All -  

I particularly enjoyed sight of S A L, HOLLYWOOD BEACH...

Looks the way it did when first in service!

.........................Vern.........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Apr 8th, 2012, 10:35am »

Thanks Norm.  Great stuff!  More Private Varnish on the market now due to the tough economic times and the real possibility of cuts to both Amtrak and Via Rail...at least that is what some of the owners of PV are sugguesting.

The Scottish Thistle is up for sale as well as several others.  As you know a number of owners charter their PV's to help pay for up- keep..the only problem with that is all the added miles on the car...the more for repairs.  The last I checked over 50 PV's were available for charter  (all members of  A.A.P.R.C.O.)..as an associate member I get to "drool" over all this great stuff !..but my love is Private Varnish...my wife says it could be worse things !

Gord.  

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: May 22nd, 2012, 6:03pm »

Yes, it is "The" Virginia City, which was bought a few years ago, brought up to AMTRAK standard (apparently didn't take too much, car was in good shape despite being out of service for quite some time) and placed back in service.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »