Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 3:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

WHAT PASSENGER CAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Rolling Stock
(Moderator: CHESSIEMIKE)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: WHAT PASSENGER CAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE  (Read 1313 times)
silver_champion
Historian
  387.jpg - 198630 Bytes
« on: Jul 17th, 2005, 8:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Let me tell you. I got for my model railroad, a HO model of the C,B & Q's business car. I love it. I wish that I had the  money  and the back yard for it. Here is a picture of it and lets hear from you. Also please check out my new Photo Shows on railroading at    //photoshow.comcast.net/richardtrains

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (198630 bytes, 1024x673 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 387.jpg - 198630 Bytes

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2005, 8:55am by silver_champion » Logged
RDG484
Former Member
Re: WHAT PASSENGER CAR WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE
  RDC_No._9163.jpg - 26354 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 12:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I would love to have an RDC outfitted as a private car.  Both cabs would be retained, so there would be no observation compartment, but I would have a living room, drawing rooms, a dining room, a galley, and a utility room.  On the outside, she would have the Reading tiger stripes on both ends, cab signals, ATC, and everything else to run anywhere there is 4' 8 1/2" gauge track.  I would store it on a siding that's long enough and away from any main lines, so I could run her myself any time I want to without interferring with anyone else's operations.  Shown is a model of what she would look like.

Yeah, keep dreaming!!!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/RDC_No._9163.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2005, 12:57pm by RDG484 » Logged
trainman786
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:20am »

California Zephyr dome-observation car "Silver Sky" would be nice... but I'd also settle for Missouri Pacific sleeper-lounge car "Eagle Cliff" (We run her on ASTA's "Hill Country Flyer" so I get to ride this car whenever I want to    )

Jim

Another ferroequinologist out chasing trains! www.austinsteamtrain.org
RARITAN_CLOCKER
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 1:37am »

I'd love to have a train (hauled by either an E-L E-8 or a CNJ GP-7) consisting of suburban coaches that I knew so well when growing up in the 60s. The train would consist of a two CNJ combos (one railroad roof, one arched roof), two CNJ commuter coaches (both railroad roof), two arched-window Erie Stillwells, two Erie two-tone green "thru-line" Stillwells, and last, but not least, two Lackawanna open-platform "Boonton" cars. Then, for good measure, I'd have to have a pair of CNJ RDC's with a "standard" arched-roof coach sandwiched in-between....hey, if you're gonna dream, GO FIRST CLASS!!   (all cars would be restored to the way they were when in revenue service; i.e. original rattan and leather seats, repro vintage advertising car cards, etc.)

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2005, 1:40am by RARITAN_CLOCKER » Logged
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 1:48am »

Great Northern full dome Glacier View. Awesome car.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 5:28pm »

American Orient Express's Pullman "Monte Carlo" for purely sentimental reasons.
(I rode it several times under its original name - Opequon)

OK, if I cant have that one I'd like any of the UP's domed dining cars.  Repainted in B&O colors of course!  

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 6:12pm »

Hi All,

Interesting  question. Like the others, I would have to go to my HO gauge rolling stock roster. It is then obvious it would be a Dome car, most probably the Silver Lariat, ex-CZ and now based at Los Angeles Transit Center. A close second would be the gone, but not forgotten, full length dome that ran the Surfline on Amtrak until recently, no name, only a number. Anyone know what happened to those ex-Amtrak full domes   For the record, from my HO gauge rolling stock roster, I have 14 Domes. These include Vista Domes, Full Length Domes, and Dome/ Observation cars (Tail cars). All have scratch built dome interiors, including people, bars, seating etc.

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2005, 6:16pm by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 6:23pm »

on Sep 16th, 2005, 6:12pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi All,

Interesting  question. Like the others, I would have to go to my HO gauge rolling stock roster. It is then obvious it would be a Dome car, most probably the Silver Lariat, ex-CZ and now based at Los Angeles Transit Center. A close second would be the gone, but not forgotten, full length dome that ran the Surfline on Amtrak until recently, no name, only a number. Anyone know what happened to those ex-Amtrak full domes   For the record, from my HO gauge rolling stock roster, I have 14 Domes. These include Vista Domes, Full Length Domes, and Dome/ Observation cars (Tail cars). All have scratch built dome interiors, including people, bars, seating etc.

Hey Alan

That full length dome is still around.    

I saw it on 68 & 77  last week.   She's part of a substitute consist I guess.  

Thats a classic;  six wheel trucks, rides real nice too.   I believe its ex Santa Fe.

PX

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2005, 6:27pm by Passenger_Extra » Logged

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 4:38am »

yall old schoolers gunna laugh at me for dis one....but i always wanted an Amtrak SuperLiner "Sleeper". i love SuperLiners. they ride very smooth and sound ( and feel) like riding the Heavy Rail cars on the Red Line to the Airport in Cleveland. if only i had the back yard,the cash to buy one and the helicopter or helicopters to air lift it and a peice of track to set it on,ill be one happy locomotive!

Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 4:46pm »

Mine would have to be the 1956 Budd- PRR "tubular train" cars. There were seven of them ( which made up the consist of one train- called the "Keystone" by PRR) These were bi level cars, with the second level being LOWER than what would be a conventional single level. Each car had a regular level lounge section on each end of the car, with the main passenger seating area on a lower level in the middle of the car.  I saw this train and rode in one of these cars only once, in 1962, but was always intrigued by them.

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2005, 4:47pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 21st, 2005, 6:43pm »

I would like to have a 3-car train of Bullets and outfit them with cab signals and ATC and run them on the Long Island RR.

Coffee
Historian
  AMT2051HIALEAHFL-SEPT5-99SLIDE3.jpg - 53198 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 5:59pm »

One actually named for my hometown, Fairport Harbor, photo courtesy of Jeff Lubchansky.  I got a shot of her Jan, 04 in Lordstown, Ohio in a snow storm so I gave you Jeff's.

NYC10360, ex NYC10812, ex PC 4202, ex AMT 2001, ex AMTK 2051. NYC had a number of sleeper cars named after Harbors.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/AMT2051HIALEAHFL-SEPT5-99SLIDE3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2005, 6:00pm by Coffee » Logged

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

Ohio Central Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiocentralsystem

Reading2124
Historian
  pr10a.jpg - 58873 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 8:56am »

Reading Company Observation #10

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RollingStock/pr10a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

O scale READING WEAVER CRUSADER FOR SALE...ENGINE #118 (4-6-2) streamlined engine and cars (5) 900 $...private message for more details

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 11:49am »

Another car I liked a lot is the "King Cotton."  My wife and I rode in that car back in '93 when we rode the New River Train, hauled by "C&O 2765."  It was gorgeous inside and we all ate like royalty.  It looks a lot like Reading No. 10 pictured above this post, but was painted a dark blue outside.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 5:47pm »

Hmm - that's a good question. I think I'd like an ex-Santa Fe El Capitan highlevel refitted as a proper private car. Better cars than the Superliners (not that the Superliners are bad cars - it's just that the Budd Company did an even better one for Chico - they even planned for sleepers, but never did build them).

If I had Bill Gates's money, I think I'd have a train.  Set of Es, brought up to modern standards as far as using an AC transmission, and replace the 567s with Cat V-12s, up front.  Ex-ATSF Budd baggage cars for supplies and such. A couple of the ex-Budd Slumbercoaches Chico rebuilt into 11-br sleepers for crew space, spliced with a diner set up for food and lounge space for the crew. Dome lounge. Sleeper (4-4-2 configuration) with roof-line adapter to match the following Hi-levels. Hi-Level coach with stairs at forward end, rebuilt as sleeper. Hi-Level diner set up as diner lounge. Second Hi-level coach rebuilt as sleeper, with stairs down at rear.  Sleeper (4-4-2) with roof-line adapter to match preceeding Hi-Levels. Sleeper (master bedroom)-lounge-buffet  (standard height car). Ex-coach set up as offcie to help keep up with things. Cal Zephyr origin round end dome-sleeper-lounge-obs (like Silver Penthouse, which i rode in on a long ago Temple-Chicago trip).  Be a nice train, eh?

Have considered the utility and desireability of a Budd RDC set up as a private car, and have decided it would be a nice thing. Preferably a  two- or three-car set, and possibly with the end cars set up like the old Roger Williams cab cars instead of blunt ends. Put a good TV camera in each cab and a big-screen TV in the lounge area of one of the cars so the owner can watch what's happeening on a trip, almost as good as a cab ride, eh?

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 6:04pm »

Yo ClydeDET,

Let me know when you will have the Train Warming Party. I'll be there with the bells on.  

Great imagination, but you have thrown economics to the wind. Good idea of upgrading a pair of E units as Union Pacific did for their passenger consist.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:34am »

Hey, we are talking about what we'd LIKE, not what I figure I'll ever have (or even see). Like I said "IF i had Bill Gates's money...".

On the other hand, I don't suppose hitting the Texas Lottery would be out of the question (if I ever bought tickets - that's something i do on a VERY rare basis), and if the numebers were up on that and I hit, i expect I just might be able to swing an RDC re-built as  PV. And might do it, too. If it happens - i'll hold a party and invite thoose who are close enough to come see.

np_pasco_rider
TRAINing

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 3:50pm »

I am with Pennsy on what I would like, if it was me and I had Bill Gateses Money. I would buy 6 or 7 dome cars NP GN SF cars most full length domes. I would use a few Vistas thou. I don't remember if they made any full length domes with sleepers in them, I do remember the vistas thou some having sleepers under them. My last car would be a vista party car with a rounded end. It would have to have the rolling red light in the back. Of course it would have to be powered buy (please forgive me if I am wrong about this) 2 F7's with the 2 B units in the middle.
If I had that I would go round the country and just pick up all the rail fan friends that wanted to ride with me  
ALL ABOARD!!!

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 11:58am »

Sounds like a wining program to me - but I fear none of us will ever have Bill GAtes's money... I sure don't expect to.

But I am inspired to start work on  (another) passenger string for my layout (if I ever manage to get space for a layoput again, it is going to have a LOT of passenger equipment on it...).  Four RDCs spliced by a dome-lounge.  Plan to re-work the end RDCs to have raised cabs like the Roger Williams, and will eliminate the cabs on the center cars, and put interiors in. We'll see how it works.

Transcon
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Mar 18th, 2006, 6:51pm »

A MILW Skytop Sleeper Lounge Observation would be very great to have. But an ATSF Pleasure Dome or a MILW Super Dome would also be a nice thing to have.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »