Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 26th, 2014, 11:08pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RCT&HS GP7 #621 Underway
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Reading Co.
(Moderators: rdc_jay, TOOLING 17039, rail pacer)
   RCT&HS GP7 #621 Underway
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RCT&HS GP7 #621 Underway  (Read 4115 times)
Reading2124
Historian
RCT&HS GP7 #621 Underway

« on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The RCT&HS's GP7 #621 has been Approved for the move to hamburg , PA. The brakes ect. have been worked on. Now All that has to be done is have Norfolk Southren Inspect The unit for transport. The unit currently resides in Pennssburg on the Ex-Reading Perkiomen branch. It Will be here any time Now!!! †

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †-CJ

Heres a Link to Its current state...http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=108850

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2006, 3:54pm by Reading2124 » Logged

O scale READING WEAVER CRUSADER FOR SALE...ENGINE #118 (4-6-2) streamlined engine and cars (5) 900 $...private message for more details

RDG484
Former Member
Re: RCT&HS GP7 #621 Underway

« Reply #1 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 9:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Thanks for the info.  Good to know.

Mr._RBMN
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 4:01pm »

hmmmm.....this is a catch-22 for me...for one thing, i would love to see that geep in the reading colors...on the other hand, i grew up loving that exact engine when it was drilling my home town. why can't you guys pick a different loco

Reading2124
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:30pm »

They aquired it Back In 2003 † Its a great thing that they have it. Who would of known its fate if we wouldnt of got it. Trust me, Its going to be safe where it is...

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † -CJ

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2006, 11:50am by Reading2124 » Logged

O scale READING WEAVER CRUSADER FOR SALE...ENGINE #118 (4-6-2) streamlined engine and cars (5) 900 $...private message for more details

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 4th, 2006, 4:01pm, Mr._RBMN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
hmmmm.....this is a catch-22 for me...for one thing, i would love to see that geep in the reading colors...on the other hand, i grew up loving that exact engine when it was drilling my home town. why can't you guys pick a different loco

Many ex-RDG GP-7's were low-nosed after they were sold.  This is one that wasn't.  All it needs to look good is a nice coat of olive green paint.

spikemic
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 5:25pm »

its not moving yet and it needs more than just paint.............

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2006, 5:26pm by spikemic » Logged

member Reading Company Technical & Historical Society MP&RE group - Reading Railroad Heritage Museum
metal craftsman/welder/fabricator/jack of all trades
glennk419
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 8:42pm »

on Feb 6th, 2006, 5:25pm, spikemic wrote:       (Click here for original message)
its not moving yet and it needs more than just paint.............

What is its' mechanical condition and when was the last time it ran under its' own power?  

Glenn
TOOLING 17039
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 9:27pm »

Lets not get excited just yet there are still allot of hurdles to jump before the engine goes anywhere. I hope the engine isnít in Phillipsburg I think you mean its in Pennsburg. As for the mechanical condition it needs allot of little parts in order to even start it. Including a $5,000 dollar set of batteries so every little donation to the 621 fund is a help. Hopfully within the next few months it will arrive with the rest of the collection. The enthusiasm and support for this project is greatly appreciated.

RCT&HS Mechanical Department
-Preserving the Past for the Future-
O2BARRTYCOON
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 7:47pm »

on Feb 6th, 2006, 9:27pm, TOOLING 17039 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lets not get excited just yet there are still allot of hurdles to jump before the engine goes anywhere. I hope the engine isnít in Phillipsburg I think you mean its in Pennsburg. As for the mechanical condition it needs allot of little parts in order to even start it. Including a $5,000 dollar set of batteries so every little donation to the 621 fund is a help. Hopfully within the next few months it will arrive with the rest of the collection. The enthusiasm and support for this project is greatly appreciated.

The 621 Fund??!!  Hmmm...I didn't even know there was one!! I guess I need to start reading the Crusader Newsletter a little closer!!  Anyhow, nice to hear things are moving forward with the Geep!!!!

TOOLING 17039
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 9:23pm »

As with most noprofit organizations, anybody can donate whatever amount they wish to a specific fund and the organization has to use that funding for the project it is donated for. The reason you do not see these funds in the Crusader is they are all generalized together for simplicity in the monthly finance reports. The 621 fund or the 3640 fund are both part of the Locomotive Fund where there is money earmarked in for both of those units. So if you would like to support the 621 and the 3640 write a check specifically for those funds or anyother project you would like to support.

O2BARRTYCOON
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 12:04pm »

on Feb 13th, 2006, 9:23pm, TOOLING 17039 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As with most noprofit organizations, anybody can donate whatever amount they wish to a specific fund and the organization has to use that funding for the project it is donated for. The reason you do not see these funds in the Crusader is they are all generalized together for simplicity in the monthly finance reports. The 621 fund or the 3640 fund are both part of the Locomotive Fund where there is money earmarked in for both of those units. So if you would like to support the 621 and the 3640 write a check specifically for those funds or anyother project you would like to support.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!.....check is on the way!!!

JJ Smith
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 12:38pm »

Maybe the RCT&HS should print all of the sub funds at least once and awhile so we all know what needs money.  More donations may be given that way.  Members need to be reminded of important projects in the works such as 2060, 1186, etc.

Modeling the Pottsville area (RDG, LV, and PRR)
Member: RCT&HS, ARHS
O2BARRTYCOON
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 1:46pm »

on Feb 14th, 2006, 12:38pm, JJ Smith wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Maybe the RCT&HS should print all of the sub funds at least once and awhile so we all know what needs money. †More donations may be given that way. †Members need to be reminded of important projects in the works such as 2060, 1186, etc.

AGREED!!!!

TOOLING 17039
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 5:55pm »

I would like to start out by thanking you for supporting the RCTH&S with your donation, it will go to good use with the project you specified. I also agree with your statement of having a broken down fund report and I will say something to the treasurer next time I speak with him. As for projects that can really use some additional funding the 3640 comes to mind first currently we have raised some funds for the unit with the Atlas O Scale models that were quite nice I might add. But unfortunately it appears in order to finish the project we will require some additional funding as for how much I would need to calculate but a rough guess I would say between 2 to 4 thousand dollars. Every donation no matter how much goes a long way and the 3640 will be high quality restoration when it is completed. That is also why any photos of the 3640 or any other society locomotive while the Reading Company owned them are very helpful to maintain historical accuracy during the restoration itself. Thank you again for supporting the RCTH&S and its projects.  
TLW  

gp7633
Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 10:04am »

That's great it's finaly getting moved. I got to see it almost every day when I was hauling stone to the new Wal Mart during work. I have a bunch of great pics of 621 (Ma & Pa 1506) at East Penn Junction (CP Burn), when Conrail was moving it to Pennsburg for East Penn Railway. It was by sheer chance that I caught her. I was up the street getting tires at the cheapie tire place, and decided to head down to see if anything interesting was coming through, their was alright, I saw somthing Yellow in the distance and walked up to it and saw the rain gutter on the roof and Ma & Pa paint, I knew it was 621 right away. I didn't have a camera, so I went to a store and bought a disposable camera. Fortunately it was still sitting there and the pictures turned out great. Maybie I can get them posted somehow.

JJ Smith
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Jul 8th, 2007, 9:04pm »

Please know that 621 is still in Emmaus and that there are no immediate plans to move it.  Money was set aside for the move but it never took place.  It is hoped that the 621 can be moved to Hamburg when the RCT&HS locomotives return after being used for excursions on the Perk line in October.  As a new board member of the RCT&HS, I plan to push to get 621 onto our property.  It should have been moved last year.

TOOLING 17039
Historian
  cs1-2.jpg - 85341 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Jul 9th, 2007, 5:20pm »

I agree with you Jeff but there always seems to be an unforeseen obstacle that pushes the move back weather it be the branch we were going to move it to being out of service, doing all the maintenance inspections on the engine or finishing an ongoing restoration project, or not having track on our property to put it on. Don't worry it will get here and with more help it will get here sooner. Not trying to preach or make excuses but unfortunately things are not always as simple as one would hope they could be. It will definitely be a good asset to our museum filling a void in first generation diesel power on the reading. Here is a picture taken of 621's control stand.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Reading/cs1-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2007, 5:22pm by TOOLING 17039 » Logged

JJ Smith
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 8:00pm »

on Jul 9th, 2007, 5:20pm, TOOLING 17039 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I agree with you Jeff but there always seems to be an unforeseen obstacle that pushes the move back weather it be the branch we were going to move it to being out of service, doing all the maintenance inspections on the engine or finishing an ongoing restoration project, or not having track on our property to put it on. Don't worry it will get here and with more help it will get here sooner. Not trying to preach or make excuses but unfortunately things are not always as simple as one would hope they could be. It will definitely be a good asset to our museum filling a void in first generation diesel power on the reading. Here is a picture taken of 621's control stand.

I am glad to hear that 621 is still on your list TOOLING.  Hopefully the October trips will occur and we can bring her back with that consist.  Thanks for the picture.

TOOLING 17039
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 8:50pm »

There are allot of projects all of them in various stages of completion none are forgotten. Its just the practicality of completing started projects with diminishing time has become a priority. Perhaps as a new board member this is something that you can help rectify.

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2007, 8:53pm by TOOLING 17039 » Logged

JJ Smith
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 7:26pm »

It appears as though the 621 will be coming to Temple later this year. †The Perk trips in October still look like they will happen. †The 621 will come home in October returning with the 902 and 903.

Now lets get that museum open! †I am hopeful that things will move forward then as having an open museum will open many doors finacially and politically.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:38pm by JJ Smith » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »