Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 7:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

R.R. Jobs
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   R.R. Jobs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: R.R. Jobs  (Read 447 times)
rjk
TRAINing
R.R. Jobs

« on: May 11th, 2006, 11:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey all, cool site I like the pics. Anyway, I live in northern Illinois and was wondering if anyone could tell me about entry level positions on the railroad and how hard it is to get in. Any info would be Great. Thanks in advance.

razor
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: R.R. Jobs

« Reply #1 on: May 11th, 2006, 12:36pm »

It's a good time to be looking for a job on the RR. Start here:

http://www.rrb.gov/PandS/Jobs/rrjobs.asp

-r

rjk
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: May 12th, 2006, 12:08pm »

Thanks for the link razor, theres lots of good info

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #3 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 2:22am »

Go to college and get a better job where you can have a life  

or go to a site called the Railroad Retirement Board .

www.thecutline.com
bluenoser
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: May 24th, 2007, 8:30pm »

please forgive the double post, but I wrote this in a more obscure topic and I thought maybe CN was the place for it.  

I am about to apply for a bunch of Conductor positions in Northern Alberta with CN. I am an over-the-road trucker so the shift hours and being away from home doesn't bother me, and I'm young so there's not much that holds me back.  

My problem is the want ads on CN's website don't offer any inkling of what they're looking for other than a simple job description. there is no mention of conductor school (I've got a friend who is about to do it at George Brown in Toronto but I would lie down on hot coals to avoid Toronto) or of transportation industry experience, which I suppose I could say I have from the trucking. and prior to trucking I never had a job that would be useful in mentioning when applying to the railroads.

so I'm sitting here with a half-written cover letter and I'm really not sure how to put my best foot forward. Just about all I have going for me is that I'm a lifelong railfan and once I've mentioned the trucking experience, I'm up against a wall because their want ad is too general. so if there's anybody out there that works for CN....do you have any suggestions about what language it's helpful to use? any idea what successful cover letters look like? I really can't imagine what other people applying to these jobs are writing, they must be getting a real mixed bag of applications.  

the reason I'm taking this so seriously is, really, I'm only ever going to have one cover letter for the railroads, all that's going to change is the job title I'm applying for. if I can get a solid application, it would help me now and in the future. any suggestions at all?

bluenoser
TRAINing

« Reply #5 on: May 25th, 2007, 6:29pm »

well, never mind. I tried applying anyway and I don't think it worked. CN's website has the most ridiculously complicated application process. in the end, there was nowhere to upload a cover letter even though some of the job ads requested one and you can't go back and undo anything once you begin the process and you can't start over because before you apply you're made to choose five jobs to apply to (and I applied to five of the conductors positions) and then you can't change them, so I can't apply to any of the other various positions I wanted. so in the end I think the system only let me send a partial application with no cover letter to a fraction of the jobs I wanted. seems like BS to me.  

KootenayValleyRailway
Historian

« Reply #6 on: May 25th, 2007, 8:15pm »

although the setup is a little weird i didnt find it that difficult when i applied. you can add your resume and coverletter both at the same while you are doing the original application process when you sign up. you can also update your resume and add your coverletter. it isnt to difficult. on this page http://www.identifythebest.com/CNWS/Portal/main.asp?logon=0&Session=XxrOoA0525200720082496443 you just have to put in your telephone number and the last 3 letters of your sin# and u can update anytime you want and they always know when you update it.

Canadian Pacific Railway
Conductor - Calgary (Laggan/Red Deer Subs)

The Columbia & Kootenay Railway - "The railway from nowhere to nowhere" ~ William Van Horne (1893)
CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20th, 2008, 8:16pm »

Moving this out of the CN forum since it really has nothing to do with CN .  

www.thecutline.com
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »