Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 3:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Basic Railroad Questions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   Basic Railroad Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Basic Railroad Questions  (Read 581 times)
Mav2005
TRAINing
Basic Railroad Questions

« on: Dec 11th, 2007, 12:49am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello everyone I'm brand new to this site, but I've been a fan of the rails for quite some time.  I have a few basic questions about the railroad and I figured I'd ask them here.  First off, where do trails fill up with fuel?  Are there major depots where they have underground storage tanks or how does it work?  Second, how long can an engineer or train pilot operate said train?  With airline pilots, there are regulations about how long one can be behind the yoke and I was wondering if this applies to trains as well.  Third, are there track maps that are stored inside the train for navigation?  How else would the engineer/conductor know where he/she is going?  Thanks!

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Basic Railroad Questions

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 2:32pm »

I think that if you hang around and read various threads you will begin to get some understanding of how things work.  Given the very basic nature of your questions, I am not quite sure how to answer.  

Fuel:  Generally there are fueling track at major railroad yards with large fixed tanks.  For locations where only a few engines need fueling, frequently there will be a contract with a fuel company and a truck pulls up next to the engine and pumps it directly into the tank.  Go online and look up information on railroad yards.  Generally they will show locations for engine servicing.

Time in the cab:  There is the federal hours of service law that limits operating crews to no more than 12 hours at a stretch.  It has several provisions on what constitutes start and finish time and required rest that are not easy to explain in one or two sentences.  

Knowing the route:  The train crew is expected to get into their heads where things are on the routes they run.  There are trackside signs and signals that provide necessary information.  There are rulebooks that define what various things mean.  There are employee timetables for each line that give locations of places, distances between them, capacities of sidings, speed limits and lots of other things about the route being run.  A train crew has to be qualified to run on a particular line and make runs as students before being turned loose.  They are not simply given the information, an engine, and a train and told go for it.

We are just scratching the surface so far.

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2008, 1:00am »

on Dec 11th, 2007, 12:49am, Mav2005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hello everyone I'm brand new to this site, but I've been a fan of the rails for quite some time.  I have a few basic questions about the railroad and I figured I'd ask them here.  First off, where do trails fill up with fuel?  Are there major depots where they have underground storage tanks or how does it work?  Second, how long can an engineer or train pilot operate said train?  With airline pilots, there are regulations about how long one can be behind the yoke and I was wondering if this applies to trains as well.  Third, are there track maps that are stored inside the train for navigation?  How else would the engineer/conductor know where he/she is going?  Thanks!

To answer the first part of your question about where fueling is done makes me wonder why you want to know such a thing . Basically engines are filled at round houses . Train crews are only allowed to work 12 hours a day . Track maps ? No . You know where you are going based on times traveled over that certain part of territory (experience)  

www.thecutline.com
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2010, 12:07am »

on Sep 20th, 2008, 1:00am, CN5710 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Basically engines are filled at round houses .

I believe you mean engine terminals. There's not too many roundhouses around these days.

Todd K. Stearns

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:08am »

Oddly enough, tho there wasn't a "roundhouse" there anymore, where I worked the engine terminal (yard and servicing facilities) were STILL called "the roundhouse".

GF

90mac-hater
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18th, 2013, 1:47pm »

Now that ptc in being installed on trains, there is a track map of sorts on a screen in locomotive.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »