Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 4:49pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Yard Engineers vs.Road Hoggers
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Yard Engineers vs.Road Hoggers  (Read 381 times)
wheeler
TRAINing

« on: Aug 25th, 2007, 11:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've been wondering if there is a pay/seniority difference in running a yard switch engine vs on the road.
Seems like the yard job may not pay as well, but may have better hours.
"OR" has a yard engineer been replaced by the remote controlled jobs on some RR's?

Curious

prostock19
Historian
Re: Yard Engineers vs.Road Hoggers

« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 1:50pm »

There is a pay difference.  The guys who take the yard are usually guys who like a set schedule with 2 days off.  The yard I work out of, a lot of guys are now coming out onto the road because the robos have invaded the hump.

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 10:55pm »

I wasn't T & E, but I can certainly relate to having set days off!  When I bid in 3rd trick Porter in the 80's, I had "banker's hours"!  8 to 5.  'Cept it wasn't quite what it seems.    More like 8 PM to 5 AM with Tuesdays and Wednesdays off.  I was young then, and I found that I could "stretch" my off days by remaining up all night the first night at work after my rest days.  I'd work Monday night, get off at 5 AM, run home and shower and crash.  I'd get up around noon-12:30 PM and have the rest of Tuesday off. Sleep Tuesday night, then have all day Wednesday, Wednesday night, then report to work Thursday night for a full shift 8 PM- 5AM to work the passenger trains, handle baggage, clean the freight house and haul freight crews.  I always said I would HATE night shift, but I actually grew to LIKE it.  Oh, on slow nights, I could get caught up after 3 AM (last passenger train--Amtrak 819) and slip into the freight house for a wink or two!  No, you weren't supposed to sleep, but the yard office would watch yer back and yell for you when there was something come up. We didn't rat people out, and besides, there really was no harm in it! The work got done, the trains were handled, the crews were hauled, the offices got cleaned, and everybody was happy. Even the night Terminal Trainmaster knew we did that and he never said a word!  Pretty cool guy, really with a great sense of humor! And those few extra winks make it more possible to work such an oddball shift.  I finally got rolled back to the Extra Board (YUCK)! and BOY!  Did I ever hate that!~  

Gadfly

csxt98engineer
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 4:33pm »

I Work as an Engineer in the Albany Service Lane out of Boston Ma. and started with Conrail.

Yard, Local and Road Assignments both have their Positive and Negatives and Both are Governed heavy by Seniority. Ive been with Conrail/CSX for 10 years now and with the passing of the 60/30 retirement its like I have 30 yrs seniority.  

Yard and Local Jobs-  

Positives ( 5 days on 2 days off, Re Crews, paid Holidays and quits

Negatives (Suffer from lack of Overtime, work with many Newbies and constantly watched by officals for work being done)

Road Assignments-  

Positives ( can make lots of money if your in good with your union rep... Great if your not a family man, Regular assignments usually work every other day sometimes back to back, great if paid over 200 miles, lots of overtime.)

Negatives (lack of Sleep, to much sleep, long stays in hotels, lots of Deadheading, work with many extraboard newbies.... divorce rate is high... you could lose a lot of money if your not up on what your entitled to....go to union meetings!!!

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2007, 4:35pm by csxt98engineer » Logged
CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 3:05am »

I work on the GTW District and we make $371.80 a day no matter if it is yard or mainline. Hunter Harrison don't believe in the mileage agreements so were hourly but a basic day pays what I mentioned above. It's based on a 10 hour day.

www.thecutline.com
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »