Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 7:57pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

personality test
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   personality test
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: personality test  (Read 389 times)
blueshark68
TRAINing
View Profile  

personality test

« on: Apr 9th, 2006, 3:50am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What kind of personality is the  NS railroad looking for when hiring for the conductors position? Intorvert/Extrovert etc? I took the personality test they gave and I, along with about 60 out of 70 others, were not the type they were looking for. I assumed that was the test I didnt pass because the language math test was fairly easy.

MP_SA_93
TRAINing
Re: personality test

« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 12:42am »

It has to do with safety.  NS does NOT want impulsive, risk taking, creative types who will think for themselves (and perhaps do something foolish).  They are looking for the sort of person who feels most comfortable staying within an established routine, and who will always follow the rules (and realign the switch properly).  When you take the test, answer the questions as if your mother was behind you, reading your responses over your shoulder.

razor
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 11:05pm »

They are looking for ppl with leadership traits.  

-r

1oldgoat
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 12:58am »

Beg to differ about RR's looking for people with "leadership traits".  They may say it, but they really want people who follow orders blindly, ask no questions and who don't rock the boat (or engine).  That's why anyone with real leadership abilities doesn't last long, especially in management!  This is why they are having such a hard time finding qualified people to stay with them.  

Now I have to admit I've always had problems with "authority", but I became a union rep and I enjoyed giving the BS back to them.  For example, when some manager gets too big a PITA (pain in the a**), or gets too heavy handed, we'd have a "rules observance".  This is where everyone follows ALL the rules to the letter.  This will bring things to a screeching halt in no time.  Also, when dealing with a difficult manager remember, "Never under estimate the power of ridicule"!

Example:  They implimented a new rule that you had to ring the bell when ever there was a person close to the track.  An engineer friend passed an overweight trainmaster all decked out in his orange and reflective gear without using the bell.  When he stopped, the TM climbed on the engine and asked him, "Didn't you see me standing next to the track?"  My friend replied, "Yes, I did.  But I mistook you for a traffic barrel".

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »