Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 7:57pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Loyalty to former Employers?  
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Loyalty to former Employers?    (Read 290 times)
green_elite_cab
Historian

« on: Feb 21st, 2006, 4:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was reading a book on CSX yesterday.  On one page, they had a picture of a CSX SD40-2 leaveing a siding.  Scratched in the yellow nose was the name Conrail.   I thought this was odd, and i remember hearing somewhere that many railroaders remain loyal to the predecessor railroads that hired them.   I imagine similar things must happen on the BNSF with old BN or ATSF railroaders.  Are any of you still loyal to your former employer?

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2006, 4:21pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Loyalty to former Employers?  

« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:22am »

Yes.  I still feel that the worst thing that ever happened to the Louisville and Nashville was control by the Atlantic Coast Line even though this began long before I was born.  During the brief period that I worked for them (L&N) it became obvious that they were required to show as much net as possible and then declare a huge dividend which went to shore up the ACL.  Then my immediate boss was an ex NC&StL guy who felt that the NC had been done in by the L&N takeover.  Apparently the L&N control of the NC previous to their merger was not to the same milk-um-dry state as the ACL control of the L&N had become by the time I was there.  

George

1oldgoat
TRAINing
Re: Loyalty to former Employers?  

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2008, 10:49am »

It's a funny thing.  When I hired out on the EL in '68, the crews were still loyal to the Erie (7+ years after the merger).  We had an Alco switcher still in Erie paint, and when the muck-a-mucks went thru, they hid the engine out of sight so it wouldn't be ordered to the paint shop.

Hired out on the BN in '74 at a former GN shop.  NP stood for "Non-Producer".  The few pre-'70 merger employees remaining when I retired last year were still flying their fallen flags.  

I went thru the merger with the Frisco in '80 and merger with the Santa Fe in '95.  My experience has been that when a merger occurs, the execs from the dominant company bail out with their golden parachutes, and the guys from the company taken over fill their places.  They usually purge the remaining ranks of officials from the other road and put their own people in charge.  

At the same time, they lay out and enforce a "new order" consisting of the same failed thinking and processes that led their road to be bought out in the first place.
Saw it when the Frisco guys took over, and again with the Santa Fe.  In both cases, the guys from the roads we bought took over and everything went to hell in a handbasket after that.

Not to say that life was good under the BN.  They took good care of their locomotives, but treated their employees like crap.  After the ATSF merger, Krebs and his gang abused the equipment and treated employees even worse.  (Ask the former Conrail guys about working for NS, or just about anybody who's gone thru a merger and you'll get the same answer.)  

So, I don't know if it's "loyalty", or just a desire to return to "when things weren't THIS bad!".   My guess that most employees who've gone thru a merger (railroad or other) will agree that the employees usually suffer after the money changes hands.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »