Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 3:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Are railroaders railfans, too?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   Are railroaders railfans, too?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Are railroaders railfans, too?  (Read 2383 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Are railroaders railfans, too?

« Reply #20 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 8:29am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I have a hand full of close friends that are and were railroaders, and that are also live steamers. Most of them enjoy running COAL burners, as I do. As far as I know, there are at least two of these guys that don't hide their enthusiasm for small scale steam locomotives. The folks that I have been aquainted with for so many years are very profesional railroaders, and accomplished live steam locomotive builders and runners.

Take care,

Bruce

blippo
TRAINing

« Reply #21 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 7:07pm »

If a railfan is one that has model train sets, train items displayed at home, etc. ,  there are plenty of people that work for the railroad that have this.   More than you think.  The railroaders that say they aren't rail fans are the same one's always talking about the railroad when you strike up conversations with them.

RESTORER1
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 9:19am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

2Cents worth.
 I have found that without a doubt there is a railfan in all railroaders, but the difference stands out like a person that makes pizza, they make it ,and can get it when ever they want, so it eliminates the yurning(if you will).
 Railfans and tourist are always welcome at the Newhope and Ivyland, we almost always take time to show off. I loved trains as a child and I was Always told that you hafta love your job.  
The work at times can be blood money but in the end it still steams(  ) worth it.
I guess it is kinda like a pet you love, when everything is healthy your happy. when it pukes on the floor in the middle of the night and you step in it, welllllllllll that is when you kinda wish you didn't have to clean it up. but,know what? you still love that pet anyhow. -J

C420
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 8:33pm »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 7:07pm, blippo wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If a railfan is one that has model train sets, train items displayed at home, etc. ,  there are plenty of people that work for the railroad that have this.   More than you think.  The railroaders that say they aren't rail fans are the same one's always talking about the railroad when you strike up conversations with them.

We call them closet foamers.

They would say how bad the railroad is. Then they rank on the railfans "foamers".Then would talk about the latest issue of any model or railfan mags. Finally would say I'm not a railfan.

RESTORER1
Former Member
Re: Are railroaders railfans, too? Of Course!!!

« Reply #24 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:09am »

I'm a Fan of My Railroad. I can't say I'm a foamer, I prefer working on them to running them. I don't chase different rails all over the state or country, but I will always stop and watch a SMT(Slow moving train). I don't care for non-railroders challenging me on all the details of the train-ops or acting like they know more. they may know more,but I want them to come to work with me for a month and see what it really takes to keep them running. From Hot Riveting with a 90lb gun to changing blown drivers outside in the snow(up hill,bothways).  If you want to sit in a cab, you gotta know the engine,I will alway be amazed at the Hands-on Knowlwdge that our people have compared to a bored computer tech who took up Trains as a hobby.-J

Fred
Railfan

« Reply #25 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:32pm »

I've been an railroad employee now for 39 years and a modelere and railfan since before then.  I will admit though that I don't railfan as much now as I use to because of all the mergers & consolidations there war fewer railroads to railfan. i do enjoy my visits to Chicago for the variety it provides.

razor
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:19am »

Most rr crews think railfans are dorks and losers. Hence, even if a crew member was a railfan, he/she prob. wouldn't admit it. However, there are a good number of rr workers that are "closet" railfans. There are others like me who are not railfans (my interest in locomotives is "does it have reclining seats and does the heat/ac work?") In fact, I pretty much hate trains in that I spend a lot of time in/on them and don't want to think about railroading at all in my off time. Of course, I'm typing this right now..so maybe I'm a closet raifan too...

-r

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:52am »

To be good at any skill, you have got to love it enough to do it whether or not you get paid for it.  This is as true for the guys that design and build them as it is for the guys that run them.  Our fan obsessions may not be what we are doing right now, but it usually relates.  

Since I have spent most of my life with engineering companies working or design or construction supervision on transit systems with some railroad work thrown in, I am not sure where I qualify in this.  However, I do draw my paycheck from doing work related toward getting a railroad built, so I would call my self a railroader, even though I usually am gone by the time the system is running.  We may not always be noisy about it, particularly with people we are not certain of, but the railfan mind is there.  The best station architect I know (pause for multiple engineer - archtect jokes) on a recent visit to Los Angeles took a day away from visiting some of her family, gathered up one of her relatives, got a couple of day passes and spent the day going through the light rail getting off and looking over every station.  Unfortunately, she has been sidetracked from some of what she is good at because she crossed her boss in one of his usual less than brilliant moves, her boo being a guy who probably would fail to qualify as a Dilbert pointy headed boss due to stupidity.  When in our civil/track group we go out to check over things, we end up talking about other systems, discuss various aspects of different track designs, take the opportunity to look at the existing railroad.  I have rolls of film of clearance problems or other issues needing work interspersed with pictures of trains on the adjacent existing railway, when we are at places where the existing railway is adjacent.  

George

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:04am »

I've met quite a few.  Some have a history of working for a Class One RR, but remember that not all RR jobs are behind the throttle.  Others work in the cab, but for short-line or scenic roads.

As for the general rule that crews think fans are dorks, well, I s'pose it's more of a "bird-by-bird" situation.  In other words, some do, some don't.  To date, I haven't had a negative experience with a RR crew...tho I can't exclude the possibility that some engineer may have said "Hey, there's that dork with the camera again."  

-Charlie

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:11am by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:36am »

George is right.

To be good at anything you have to love it.   I grew up with railroaders on both sides of the family on the NKP, B&O and NYC.  And yeah, I heard a lot of complaining, but it was because especially in the mid to late 60's they could see changes coming they felt wasn't good for them or the profession they truly loved.  

If railroad work was typical 9 to 5, it may be a different matter, but its more than that.  Its a way of life that some people just aren't cut out for.  

PX

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:47am »

Hi George,

Looks like we Engineers not only think alike, we act alike.

Now, several years ago, I had a colleague Lady Engineer named Lydia. A very talented engineer, and unfortunately for her, rather attractive. Caused all sorts of problems for her with the local lotharios. A married lady, with two teen aged kids, at that time, she realized early out how to deal with these "men". So when I teamed up with her, needless to say, all hell broke loose, and I would unsheath my sword and put the mark of Zorro on the offending non compos mentis. We got a lot of good works done, and she wound up with a rather thick skin which protected her from these miscreants. I really enjoyed working with her, and watching the eyes of those we had to deal with. Most of them were gentlemen, and then there was the occasional loser. All were "happily" married men. My wife always considered her a very intelligent and most personable Lady.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:43pm »

There's a fella here in the NS Piedmont District who's always in a PRR cap. We talk whenever we catch each other and he's a fan as much as anybody else around here. Got to talking about NSlocos.com  today and the history of a Conrail unit that had the PRR reporting mark that was parked in the yard.

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
NSWDriver
TRAINing

« Reply #32 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 12:46pm »

Id say a lot are fans but we see stupid railfans almost get themselves killed all too often.  There is a tendency to deny it bust just about every Driver i have spoken to enjoys the job and is a fan at heart.

Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #33 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 2:32pm »

I have a friend who works for SPERRY RAIL SERVICE, and he said that if you wanna work for a railroad and yet see tons of trains, it's the right job for you! The local CSX crew that I know also enjoy other railroadania. One enjoys live steam and miniature trains, while the other just enjoys his job.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:03pm »

on Apr 27th, 2007, 2:32pm, Adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 while the other just enjoys his job.

Well that is good.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
1oldgoat
TRAINing

« Reply #35 on: May 27th, 2008, 11:22am »

IF you are a railfan who hires out, or a railfan talking with "rails"- do not call a string of locomotives a "lashup".  That's foamer-speak for "i don't know what I'm talking about."  It's called a "consist". OK?

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #36 on: May 27th, 2008, 11:12pm »

There's a couple of other phrases I can't STAND, and, to me, they scream FOAMER and Rail dork (don't take offense, please!)  They are:

"On the point"  NObody I ever knew on my railroad EVER said that!!!!  

"Cornfield Meet"    Never heard THAT, either. It was "HEADLIGHT meet" on Southern/NS!  

and "Track Speeder"  I guess the fans were talking about those old pump hand cars that had been GONE for 60 years?  But some of the militant foamers referred to our MOTOR CARS as "track speeders".  WE called 'em--------M O T O R C A R S!!!!!!!  

Yep, you could TELL the rabid railfans often by their mis-use of phrases THEY thought were appropriate but WE never used.

As to the original question, I think a lot of long-term railfans start out as such. The TRUE nature of the railroads, their treatment of employees, the general military-like atmosphere---ALL serve to burst the bubble pretty quickly. I keep telling people how it was at my road, but they simply believe that their Camelot, their dream job, their affinity, the things they read about in the railroad mags just CAN'T be wrong!!!!  Many excited newbies become bitter and disillusioned pretty quick. THERE IS NO 'ROMANCE' OF THE RAILS, FOLKS!!! It-is-HORSE HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

Gadfly

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #37 on: May 30th, 2008, 3:35am »

on May 27th, 2008, 11:12pm, Gadfly wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There's a couple of other phrases I can't STAND, and, to me, they scream FOAMER and Rail dork (don't take offense, please!)  They are:

"On the point"  NObody I ever knew on my railroad EVER said that!!!!  

"Cornfield Meet"    Never heard THAT, either. It was "HEADLIGHT meet" on Southern/NS!  

and "Track Speeder"  I guess the fans were talking about those old pump hand cars that had been GONE for 60 years?  But some of the militant foamers referred to our MOTOR CARS as "track speeders".  WE called 'em--------M O T O R C A R S!!!!!!!  

Yep, you could TELL the rabid railfans often by their mis-use of phrases THEY thought were appropriate but WE never used.

As to the original question, I think a lot of long-term railfans start out as such. The TRUE nature of the railroads, their treatment of employees, the general military-like atmosphere---ALL serve to burst the bubble pretty quickly. I keep telling people how it was at my road, but they simply believe that their Camelot, their dream job, their affinity, the things they read about in the railroad mags just CAN'T be wrong!!!!  Many excited newbies become bitter and disillusioned pretty quick. THERE IS NO 'ROMANCE' OF THE RAILS, FOLKS!!! It-is-HORSE HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

Gadfly

well duh, you only did your 30 on the road. What makes you think you know how the railroads work? Sheesh, next thing you'll be telling me is that you don't get to drive those steam engines.

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
RRG2

« Reply #38 on: May 30th, 2008, 8:20am »

Gadfly hit it out of the park. On conrail, we could spot the new FOAMERS which just hired,they tend to use the corny terms. When I hired, a boss commented that the buffs belong in management. (he was a buff and made the comment in front of another magament buff.)  There were also the closet fans,which are still there today on NS. Most buffs know who each other are,and when those guys work together the topic of "STUNT RAILROADING" comes into play.

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #39 on: May 31st, 2008, 10:20pm »

HA HA! Electro Soundwave!!!!!     Really, I'm not lying!  Those terms I mentioned live forever in the world of the fan, not on the real railroad.  To the worker, for example, "on the point" would be met with "just who gives a flyin' flip about what number is up there?"  

On the original subject,  I saw many a "fan" who was conscientious and tried to do the job, truly make railroading a career, become bitter and angry.  Honestly, on many of the railroads, the way they "manage" people has the opposite result.  What could be an exciting career often becomes a grinding drudgery filled with fear and resentment towards so-called "managers" whose mission in life was to scream, threaten, and intimitate, and take people out of service for the least mistake.  Some of these bosses were nothing more than thugs who would not DARE talk to people they way they did if they couldn't hide behind their position, and some employees DID knock the snot out of them when they got a belly full of their manure.

Not exactly on topic, but an example of this was some of the Claim Agents I ran into in my railroad years.  If an employee got injured, these claim agents would really talk crap and try to use intimidation and threat in order to minimize the $$$ the RR had to pay out.  I know of one such claim agent who was convinced that an employee was NOT really injured, so he sent a fellow agent off a different division to try to "trick" the employee. To do this, the agent from the other division posed as an insurance agent trying to sell the employee health insurance, the idea being that if the employee "lied" about any health issues in order to get this lucrative policy, they could use the false information against the employee.  The employee was smarter than the agent because he knew that insurance agents must have a state-issued license to SELL Life and Health insurance....................so he played along!    When the fake insurance agent left the house, the injured employee called the State insurance department and told them that someone without an insurance license "sold" him a policy and gave them the name of this agent AND the fact that he was actually an employee of a certain RR (which shall remain nameless).  Oh, boy, oh BOY!    Did a certain  stinky element truly hit the fan over THAT one!!!!!!  
When we employees heard THAT one, you can really imagine the laughter!!!!!!!!!
Serves 'em RIGHT!!!  LMAO!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »