Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 4:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RR Police Jurisdiction
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   RR Police Jurisdiction
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RR Police Jurisdiction  (Read 1226 times)
Gadfly
Railfan
Re: RR Police Jurisdiction

« Reply #20 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 8:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

They would rather NOT be writing traffic tickets or getting involved in such matters off RR property.  They've got enough to do as is.  I once went to court with the NS police when there was some vagrant throwing rocks at the company truck(s). Spent all day waiting to testify (witness) to the crime.  Got to know my company's RR cops pretty well as I saw them out in the yards regularly.  Much of their work was very boring with lots of detail and administrative stuff (paperwork).  Had one instance that was pretty hairy, but I wasn't directly involved in it.  '

One morning a "gentleman" came into the Chief Clerk's office (Roadway Equipment Shops) asking some directions.  There was a ratty old Nova parked in the drive idling.
Suddenly he snatched one of the clerk's purses and ran out the door, jumping in the Nova and screeching backwards out the driveway. Our truck driver (errand boy/crew hauler) saw this and sprinted to his truck.  The truck was a new Chevy with a 350 4-barrel, and Tony screeched out the drive in hot pursuit of this Nova!  All the while he was on the radio to the RR dicks telling them where the chase was going. You could hear that Quadrajet just a-howling: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, as he flew up N. Tryon Street (Charlotte, NC)!!!! Suddenly (I'm told) there were white Impalas all over the place. The city cops also joined in the chase as this old red Nova smoked its way up the road with a yellow NS truck after it!  He couldn't shake that Chevrolet pickup, and finally Tony and one of the RR cops managed to "hem" the guy up in traffic. I think the fellow got excited and flooded or choked the Nova down and it stopped on him.  The fellow was arrested (and his lady friend) and Tony returned to the shop both commended AND scolded for undertaking the chase--all at the same time!  They were glad he was able to get the perp stopped, but the risks kinda outweighed the benefits.  Still, nothing came of it and everybody teased Tony about being an "honorary Railroad Dick"!

Gadfly

keithsy
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: RR Police Jurisdiction

« Reply #21 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 4:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

RR cops are duly-sworn peace officers in the juridictions they serve. They have all the powers of a municipal or state policeman, to arrest, issue moving and parking violations, serve process, etc. At one time, in NY, RR police powers were limited to arrest, only, no summonses. That has changed. I applied for that job in the days of PC and ConRail. They hired only relatives, same with LIRR. They advertised the test on Fri., Sat., Sun.; Monday 9AM all the slots were taken. Metro-North was doing this until the forces were unified under the MTA. They are still doing it.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008, 3:24pm by keithsy » Logged
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »