Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 18th, 2017, 8:08pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RR Police Jurisdiction
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   RR Police Jurisdiction
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RR Police Jurisdiction  (Read 1219 times)
NJ Railfan
Historian
RR Police Jurisdiction

« on: Feb 8th, 2004, 5:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I recently saw a non-uniformed NYS&W RR Police officer performing a traffic stop with an unmarked car on a city street Secaucus, NJ. The only way I knew he was NYS&W was by his coat, which said it in the back. Can a RR police officer make a traffic stop on a public street? Out of an unmarked car? How does this work?  

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
BNSF_1088
Historian
Re: RR Police Jurisdiction

« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 6:02pm »

I Know the CN Police in Michigan have the power of the State Police which they can stop you for anything like runing a red light speeding etc,If they arrest you they will have the local police come to the scene.The CN police in Michigan have all been to the FBI school.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

LehighValley107

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 11:06am »

Unless they were just on the RR, I do not think so.

Wew here had a guy arrested for hanging out by the trackm taking out the loose spikes...

Regards,
Christopher W. Barany

"The route of The Black Diamond"

NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2004, 10:13pm »

on Feb 17th, 2004, 11:06am, LehighValley107 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Unless they were just on the RR, I do not think so.

Wew here had a guy arrested for hanging out by the trackm taking out the loose spikes...

Wow pullin out spikes! Jersey railfan at work. lol.  

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
LehighValley107

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 8:25pm »

Quote:
Wow pullin out spikes! Jersey railfan at work. lol.  

Yup! Have nothing better to do they stand on the tracks and pull spikes out of a LIVE line..??

Regards,
Christopher W. Barany

"The route of The Black Diamond"

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 10:29pm »

The CN police in Michigan are baad asss  

www.thecutline.com
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 2:54pm »

on Mar 16th, 2004, 10:29pm, CN5710 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The CN police in Michigan are baad asss  

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Fred
Railfan

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 5:41pm »

The railroad police have the same powers as the local city police, just no jail to lock you up in!

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 6:19pm »

on Mar 17th, 2004, 5:41pm, Fred wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The railroad police have the same powers as the local city police, just no jail to lock you up in!

thats a roger  

www.thecutline.com
Two23
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 6:32pm »

on Mar 17th, 2004, 5:41pm, Fred wrote:       (Click here for original message)

They could lock me up in the cab of a Dash-9 to punish me.

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 6:40pm »

on Mar 17th, 2004, 6:32pm, Two23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

They could lock me up in the cab of a Dash-9 to punish me.

Kent in SD

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

RailCop
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 2:56am »

Railroad police also have multi-state jurisdiction authority, granted by federal law. They may function with full police powers in every state through which their employing railroad operates. As for lock-ups; the nearest county jail works just fine.

Let's 'B-Safe' out there,
Kevin
Karl84
TRAINing

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29th, 2004, 9:11am »

just my 2 cents, but as far as ive always been told, railroad police have the same or similar police powers as the US marshals, basically, when you deal with a rr officer, your dealing with a very high level policeman, gotta give them credit , they've got a hell of a job to do, I sure wouldnt want to be walking alone at night in some of the areas they are at, especially here in Detroit!!!! as always, with most police officers, just give them the respect they deserve and they are generally pretty good guys.  

Karl

Stay Safe and support Operation Lifesaver!!!
trainpixsnet
Chaser

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 4:40am »

Every RR Police officer that I have known, here in Kansas City, have been more than nice. After getting to know them pretty well and they started reconizing my car -- they would stop by to tell me the low-down and what has been going on for the week. Once one of them brought me a cold coke from his office (when it was 105oF   in the shade)!

Like what karl84 said above: as long as you show them respect, they will give you a break on most things.

Pax,
Nathan Chidester

I'D RATHER BE RAILFANNING!!!™
Be sure to check out the TrainPixs Network

<{{{><
I.C.H.T.H.Y.S.
EMD_TRAIN_FAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 12:34pm »

on Jun 21st, 2004, 4:40am, trainpixsnet wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Every RR Police officer that I have known, here in Kansas City, have been more than nice. After getting to know them pretty well and they started reconizing my car -- they would stop by to tell me the low-down and what has been going on for the week. Once one of them brought me a cold coke from his office (when it was 105oF   in the shade)!

Like what karl84 said above: as long as you show them respect, they will give you a break on most things.

Pax,
Nathan Chidester

Having had a 15 year career in Law Enforcement, I have to agree that what you said holds true for the vast majority of not only police officers, but people in general.  We used to say that we were "mirrors" of the various factions of people we dealt with.  When someone comes on decent to you, don't you generally hold the same attitude until you get a reason to change it? I realize that security requirements now are different than they were 10 years ago, but isn't mutual respect still the way to get along in life?  

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2004, 12:36pm by EMD_TRAIN_FAN » Logged

EMD_Train_Fan

Keepin' The Old Ones Rollin'
North49
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 3:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

that so true, always treat people with respect and you'll get respect in return....especially true with law enforcement! treat them like crap and they'll look for any excuse to lock ya up, i've tried both ways and found that being truthfull and respectfull goes farther  

dogman_dan
TRAINing

« Reply #16 on: Nov 19th, 2006, 6:43pm »

Well, I can tell you that if someone commited a crime involving the RR then we have jurisdiction to enforce the laws. I cant however go into the city and pull people over or go to bar fights. IVe been a RR cop for a short time now and even at the police academy most of the stuff taught will never apply to this job.

God made police so firemen would have hero's.
KingCoal
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 1:50pm »

on Jun 21st, 2004, 12:34pm, EMD_TRAIN_FAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Having had a 15 year career in Law Enforcement, I have to agree that what you said holds true for the vast majority of not only police officers, but people in general.  We used to say that we were "mirrors" of the various factions of people we dealt with.  When someone comes on decent to you, don't you generally hold the same attitude until you get a reason to change it? I realize that security requirements now are different than they were 10 years ago, but isn't mutual respect still the way to get along in life?  

Yup, You got to "go along to get along". No rocket science involved.

RETIRED
"A busy Mainline and a trout stream beside it"
paradise !
edward
TRAINing

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 4:27am »

Railroad police on all class 1 lines have the same power as the state police and are the only private police to carrie a weapon compared to like a security guard at a mall or hosptial or a factory, They can even write up people for traffic violations,, but they rarely do this as thier main job is to protect company property.

k5sss
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:08pm »

on Feb 8th, 2004, 5:04pm, NJ Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Can a RR police officer make a traffic stop on a public street? Out of an unmarked car? How does this work?  

By federal law, RR police have whatever powers their home state grants to them, regardless of what state the officer is actually in at any given time.

on Oct 31st, 2007, 4:27am, edward wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Railroad police ... are the only private police to carrie a weapon compared to like a security guard at a mall or hosptial or a factory,

That depends on the state; private security guards here can carry guns, though many don't for liability reasons.  Then again, many western states allow any citizen to carry a gun openly and only regulate concealed carry.

on Oct 31st, 2007, 4:27am, edward wrote:       (Click here for original message)
They can even write up people for traffic violations,, but they rarely do this as thier main job is to protect company property.

Exactly; it's not even the act of writing the tickets that would annoy the company, but the cop having to go to court if the person fought it.  That takes a cop out of the field, where he has a real job to do protecting RR property.  The only time I see RR cops writing traffic tickets here (or venturing off their property at all) is for people who stop on grade crossings.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »