Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 10:08am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR  (Read 3312 times)
locoloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR

« Reply #80 on: Apr 30th, 2005, 5:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:54pm, TexasRailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I am trying desperately to get a job with UP as a conductor (train service) in the Ark-La-Tex area. I have my application in at the three locations with openings near where I live. I have three friends who are ex-cops who went to UP. It is something I have always been interested in, ever since I was a little kid. I am eagerly awaiting the call to test.
Would someone who is employed by UP, or familiar with their testing, please tell me what the written and physical agility tests entail? Thanks  

Texas Railfan

The written test required one to read specific passages, primarily regarding railroad operations and safety rules, then select from multiple-choice answers to questions posed regarding the passages.  Testers can re-read the passages as necessary.  Basically a reading comprehension test passed by the majority of applicants at the hiring session I attended.  

The physical agility test is described on the last page of the printed Internet employment application.  Included are an arm lift with a mechanical device that measures the maximum force that can be generated doing an arm curl; a handgrip with a handle connected to a recording device that measures grip strength; and as many sit-ups with arms crossed over the chest, knees bent, and a fellow applicant anchoring your feet as can be performed in one minute.  I was told by the person administering the test that a pass-fail determination is made from a composite score derived from the three measures.  The test is not challenging for a reasonably fit person, but the petite females in the group did not pass.    

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2005, 2:49pm by locoloco » Logged
locoloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #81 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 9:40am »

UP revised their physical agility test effective July 1, 2005.  The test is now administered after a contingent job offer is extended.  New requirements, as I understand, include lifting from the floor and placing on a table weights in 20 lb. increments up to 60 lbs.; grasping a simulated railcar ladder rung with one hand only while extending the arm and maintaining three point contact for 4 minutes; and lifting and carrying 17 feet and back an 85 lb. coupler knuckle.

Dan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #82 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:26pm »

I'm planning on it! It's always been my dream to work on a RR.

Gif from Frograil

Known by CSX crews in NW Georgia as "that kid". Avid MSTS/Trainz/RTC Simmer.
adam17
Former Member

« Reply #83 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 1:12am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I'd like to work as an engineer for either the Strasburg, New Hope & Ivyland, or Wannamaker Kampton & Southern Railroads. Either them or SEPTA.

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #84 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 2:13pm »

I myself plan on working for NS soonr or later. Its just a matter of when.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

shark
TRAINing

« Reply #85 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 6:52pm »

I should have stayed in college!

NS_conductor
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 10:12pm »

Yeah the railroad is very demanding.With little time at home.I get a called to take a train from the home terminal at 3am in the morning.Be on the train for twelve hours lay up in the hotel.Get called in the middle of the night and take a train back to the home terminal, and I do this 7 days a week.So as you can see the home time is very little.Yep keep that family photo in the back pocket.Thats pretty much the only time you will see them.

M.A. Payne
On cable TV they have a weather channel -- 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window.
NS_conductor
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 10:14pm »

Yeah the railroad is very demanding.With little time at home.I get a called to take a train from the home terminal at 3am in the morning.Be on the train for twelve hours lay up in the hotel.Get called in the middle of the night and take a train back to the home terminal, and I do this 7 days a week.So as you can see the home time is very little.Yep keep that family photo in the back pocket.Thats pretty much the only time you will see them.

M.A. Payne
On cable TV they have a weather channel -- 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #88 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 3:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I would love to work for a samll shortline someday like

Strasburg Railroad
Black River And Western Railroad
New Hope and Ivyland

And maybe a comoter line like Long Isalnd Railroad

But there arwe so many good choices in the world today

Anthony

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2007, 3:19pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
hambone9640
TRAINing

« Reply #89 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 10:28pm »

I worked for the Santa-Fe railroad and later the BNSF after the merger but it was always the Santa-Fe for me. I worked 42 years as brakeman and conductor and enjoyed most of the time.
         Hambone9640

hambone9640
TRAINing

« Reply #90 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 10:32pm »

on Nov 26th, 2005, 6:52pm, shark wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I should have stayed in college!

Roger on the college.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Jul 12th, 2007, 11:37am »

In my early to mid twenties, I went to a job fair held by Conrail. The only way I could get my foot in the door was to operate Mi-Jack cranes unloading intermodals at Croxton Yard, so I passed.  
Something tells me I made the right choice......

FFW-1

One down, one to go.......
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #92 on: Jul 12th, 2007, 10:25pm »

Sometimes people forget that there is much MORE to railroading than just trains! Many of the more "'militant" fans are simply focused on that one thing while there are track gangs, pump repairmen, signal maintainers, electricians, blacksmiths/machinists, pipefitters, clerks, dispatchers, building and grounds maintenance (B & B Dept)---and many MORE jobs to be had in various crafts. Ya don't gots to be Casey Jones to work for the railroad!  LOL!  

Gadfly

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #93 on: Jul 14th, 2007, 4:34pm »

Strasburg for me, I want to be a fireman or an engineer, I like the smell of coal burning(And I would get some publisity as well ). And I also like taking photographs, so mayby they'll hire a RR photographer , I doubt it though.

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #94 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 2:24am »

With me, I've always wanted to be a conductor or engineer for the CPR. I want to go to the local college after high school, take their conductor course and try to get a job for the CPR. If my plans for CP fails, I could always try CN. Or maybe even BNSF, but I doubt their's many job openings for BNSF in British Columbia  .

Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #95 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 1:47pm »

I would love to work for Strasburg. Union Pacific or Norfolk Southern are also on my list of possible jobs.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2008, 1:50pm by Espee9180 » Logged
Fred
Railfan

« Reply #96 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 8:35pm »

I consider myself "lucky" - I have a job I like doing, working for the railroad!
Started out in 1966 as an operator for the New York Central, in April, 1968 I became a train dispatcher for The Penn Central a position I held until May, 1988 when my desk was combined with another and moved out of Detroit, Mi to Toledo, Ohio. Since then I have worked as a yardmaster for Conrail here in Detroit. The advantage of these 3 type jobs are that I get to sleep in my own bed everynite and don't have to worry when the phone rings. I still might not be home all day on every holiday but I'll be there at one time or another. Working as a road engineer or conductor can definitly put a strain on one's family life, I've seen A LOT of divorces on the railroad during my 40+ years there. can the railroad be a good life? It is what you make it. My oldest son just hired on this past year as an operator and will continue attending college to get his degree.

NSrailfan929
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #97 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 10:26pm »

Ever since i was a little boy i dreamed of being a conductor/engineer... now im going on 19 years old an am able to actually reach out an touch what i wanted for so long only to realize now that i would rather have a life an more free time right now than sign my life away to 24/7/365... am i saying im not going to work for the railroad.? of course not... i will when the time is right... but overall id deff do it...

"CSXT 400, Clear of all tracks, Release 3-Step, Stretch em out, Over"
gp80mac
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 2:40pm »

I don't want to.  

Oh, wait, I already do.  Crap...

~ gp80mac ~

All of my posts are my opinion ONLY, and do not reflect the opinion of any company, railroad, organization, or other person.
Piglet
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 11:43pm »

I always thought that I would but I think in the real world I will stay away.  I have a friend who started with CN at 19 and now at the grand old age 49 going on 50 he isn't able to hold are  regular run yet.  I have run engines at museums and worked on them as well.  This includes tearing down engines and doing track work.  I enjoy it but I think doing it every day is something I will pass on.  I like to have a rough idea when I have a day off and can do something with out having an electronic leash on my hip.  I have a great deal of respect for those who can do it but I don't think I could so I will just enjoy my photo's and pitch in to help at museums when and where I can.

we learn from the past
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »