Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 18th, 2017, 8:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR  (Read 3291 times)
Railroadman
Historian
Re: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR

« Reply #60 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 9:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Wow sounds like you are having fun. What Sub are you working?

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #61 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 3:54pm »

on Nov 6th, 2004, 7:32pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Conductor school is not easy don't act like you know it all thats a good way to get you and your crew killed.You will have a lot of studying to do.

good luck

Roger that

www.thecutline.com
TexasRailfan
TRAINing

« Reply #62 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:54pm »

I am trying desperately to get a job with UP as a conductor (train service) in the Ark-La-Tex area. I have my application in at the three locations with openings near where I live. I have three friends who are ex-cops who went to UP. It is something I have always been interested in, ever since I was a little kid. I am eagerly awaiting the call to test.
Would someone who is employed by UP, or familiar with their testing, please tell me what the written and physical agility tests entail? Thanks  

Texas Railfan

Flyguy
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 12:27pm »

I am thinking of leaving my airline in order to work for either BNSF or UP.  We are seeing our wages and benefits cut so bad that staying may not be worth it in another year or so.  There are some similarities between the Airlines and the Railroads as far as senority  goes but from what I am reading you have to be very flexible time wise especially when you start?  It seems to me that BNSF is a more stable company than UP but UP seems to be hiring more which might mean you could move up the seniority ladder faster?

As someone said.....the grass is always greener on the other side....so I gotta be sure I want to leave the airline after almost 15 years but I am sure it can be done and it could be a good thing.

I have been reading something here about a %75 %80 payscale thing and I don't know what that means exactly but we have these different pay scales in the airlines and IF BNSF for example is reporting record profits then my advice to you railroad people is contact your union reps and TELL THEM to stop this CRAP right now about different pay rates based on seniroity because once the UNION gives in to management the cut backs and give backs WILL NEVER stop!  This is my opinion and I am not a RR man but it seems to me that on all your class I roads you need to have the same PAY RATES especially if the companies BNSF, UP, CSX, NS etc are all making GOOD profits!  Set me straight if you think I am wrong on this?

kyblue
Enthusiast

« Reply #64 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 3:47pm »

on Feb 4th, 2005, 12:27pm, Flyguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I am thinking of leaving my airline in order to work for either BNSF or UP.  We are seeing our wages and benefits cut so bad that staying may not be worth it in another year or so.  There are some similarities between the Airlines and the Railroads as far as senority  goes but from what I am reading you have to be very flexible time wise especially when you start?  It seems to me that BNSF is a more stable company than UP but UP seems to be hiring more which might mean you could move up the seniority ladder faster?

As someone said.....the grass is always greener on the other side....so I gotta be sure I want to leave the airline after almost 15 years but I am sure it can be done and it could be a good thing.

I have been reading something here about a %75 %80 payscale thing and I don't know what that means exactly but we have these different pay scales in the airlines and IF BNSF for example is reporting record profits then my advice to you railroad people is contact your union reps and TELL THEM to stop this CRAP right now about different pay rates based on seniroity because once the UNION gives in to management the cut backs and give backs WILL NEVER stop!  This is my opinion and I am not a RR man but it seems to me that on all your class I roads you need to have the same PAY RATES especially if the companies BNSF, UP, CSX, NS etc are all making GOOD profits!  Set me straight if you think I am wrong on this?

Generally most railroad workers do make the same money.. however Most of us started out at scale... like most jobs u dont start out making full pay rate so what the railroad does is start u out at 80% then make 5% increases until u reach 100 % in 5 years.. as for the unions we have lost our biggest bargaining tool. we cant even strike man.. so how do we get the rr's to take us serious.

T.C.SHRED
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 7:59pm »

Kyblue , I think Jimmy Hoffa woulda called it a follow all the rules work slow down !

n2qmt
TRAINing

« Reply #66 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 12:08am »

Hello all...New to the forum here but I'd like to add my thoughts.  I am 36, married with 2 children.  After about 10 years of EMS, then 4 years in the Army, I went into aviation as a flight dispatcher.  3 years later, I am the Senior Chief Dispatcher at a regional airline and now comes the best part...  Today CSX Human Resources called me to offer me a job as a Train Dispatcher in Selkirk.  I am so excited!!  I took the test a few weeks ago, passed the test (obviously) and felt that I slam dunked the interview.  I got offered one of 5 slots.  

So now I have my chance to work for a Class 1.  I'm already used to working weird hours so that won't be so bad for me.  The huge drawback for me is giving up my senority here.  I write the schedule for my department so it is easy for me to get the days off I want and I can bid whatever I want.  

The pay is better at CSX and hopefully, I'll be able to retire from there in about 25-30 years.  That is one thing I will not be able to do here in aviation.  I will certainly miss the people I work with but I think I am making the right choice in moving back to NY.

I guess the point of the story is to those that posted about being "too old" or not having RR experience.  The only thing I can say is you have to try if that is what you really want.  The worst thing that can happen is they will say no.  Cheers!

John

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 2:27am »

on Mar 29th, 2005, 12:08am, n2qmt wrote:       (Click here for original message)
   Today CSX Human Resources called me to offer me a job as a Train Dispatcher in Selkirk.  I am so excited!!  

Huh?  I though CSX has all dispatching done from Jacksonville.

Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 8:13am »

All but two dispatchers are in Jacksonville. I'm not sure where the other Two are.

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 4:04pm »

i could be wrong but i think one's in Cleveland. im not sure. i know of we dont get a certain train loaded,we have to call Jacksonville with a notice.....and i dont think they like when we call them for that reason

arnstg
Railfan

« Reply #70 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 8:48pm »

Yes there is dispatching from Selkirk yard south of Albany. Saw it when I attended the NYCSHS convention in 2003.

They cover the Hudson Line, the old B&A, the old NYC to west of Erie plus various lines in the Southern Tier. May have missed some others in that area.

Neat setup at Selkirk.

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 9:07am »

Although im only 15, i plan on working for the Norfolk Southern out of Binghamton or Allentown. Im not going to give up on chasing my dream down.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #72 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 10:26pm »

I was so sick and tired of my job working for a major aviation government contractor (L-3 Communications, formerly Raytheon, formerly E-Systems).  Had a DoD clearance that I rarely used and was a technical writer after losing my weight engineer position to cutbacks.

My background is aviation, but I wanted something else.  I applied at BNSF in Fort Worth and with the TRE.  Neither gave me a call back.  Consider myself to be qualified for entry level jobs (4 year Bachelor degree in technology).  But the RR was not for me.  Even thought about working part time for a short line, but the only other part timer I knew for the Blacklands Railroad trained two full time engineers and he pretty much lost his hours after that.

Finally, I got recommended for another weights engineer job in Albuquerque working for a startup aviation company.  Startups are just about as risky as railroad jobs, but I'm happy.  And, at least, I'm still close enough to trains to take pictures every now and then and get to take short round trips on Amtrak whenever I get the urge.

Guess the RR isn't right for me, but that's OK.  I love aviation too, though, and anytime I get the chance be a part of changing the world, I'm going to take a shot at it.

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2005, 10:27pm by VentureForth » Logged
americanorth
Railfan

« Reply #73 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 7:28pm »

Been working for Metrolink for years.

Amtrak, it's still around for a reason. If you don't see why apparently you don't know what your talking about.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 8:12pm »

Hi Americanorth;

Just what  do you do for Metrolink I live within walking distance of the Montclair station, San Bernardino Line. Any activity in that area or line I normally take the San Bernardino Line to LATC, and go from there.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
The_S.P._Caboose
Railfan

« Reply #75 on: Apr 24th, 2005, 12:35pm »

I would love to work for the railroads.  Unfortunately my medical concerns just don't allow it to happen.

Regards, Gary
Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Apr 24th, 2005, 2:41pm »

Same here Buddy.

on Apr 24th, 2005, 12:35pm, The_S.P._Caboose wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would love to work for the railroads.  Unfortunately my medical concerns just don't allow it to happen.

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

Fred
Railfan

« Reply #77 on: Apr 24th, 2005, 4:02pm »

All of the CSXT disprs are in Jacksonville EXCEPT 2 former Conrail locations: Selkirk, NY and Indianapolis, Ind.

JLJ061
TRAINing

« Reply #78 on: Apr 27th, 2005, 7:40pm »

When I was younger I wanted to work for the railroad more than anything else. I even got as far as testing out with Conrail. It was about that time when I found out the required hours/conditions/etc. It was a lot for me to mull over. Then I guess I made my final decision when Conrail called a few weeks later and I never bothered to return the call. It was probably just as well I didn't.

If I ever chose to apply to a railroad again, I think I would also choose a commuter route, like Metra or even better NICTD (SouthShore Line). The hours would be a little more manageable and I would get home every night.

My best friend of 15+ years tested out with the NS and answered their call. He started working out of Fort Wayne for awhile, but got sick of their policies and eventually switched over to Conrail. He then transferred north to work out of Elkhart and was sitting pretty since, until the big Conrail break-up came into play. Next thing he knew he was back to working for NS and still is to this day.

locoloco
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Apr 30th, 2005, 11:18am »

A stable, college-educated white-collar type, railroading has always beckoned me.  I am in my early 50's, have been married to the same woman for 30 years, and, not unrelated to our children being grown, money and work schedules are not issues.  I went through a UP cattle call but was declined, because I did not have two years of experience working outdoors and operating heavy equipment.  A UP industrial switching contractor subsequently hired me "part-time" (averaged unpredictable 6-day, 40 plus-hour schedules that always included weekends when the trains were running but no benefits) and trained me to handle coal trains in a utility plant.  The trains consisted of two UP locomotives pulling and 1 UP locomotive pushing 135-car rotary-coupler bathtub gondola consists in a loop to and from a branch line.  A "captured" SP or CNW locomotive was substituted occasionally for one of the UP engines.  The plant had its own car repair facility, so we set out bad orders and added replacement cars. Regretfully, the contractor could not find or keep people while I was employed, due possibly to the decrepit condition of the contractor's equipment, the bad behavior (including unsafe work practices) of the management team, and a constant flow of fill-in personnel from other locations with a penchant for saying, "That's not the way we do it where I come from!"  

I am looking to parlay this experience into another railroad job, preferably one with a little road time.  UP and BNSF continue to decline.  I may travel to one of NS's hiring sessions next week.  If that effort is unproductive, I will register for community college classes toward a railroad operations certificate that includes a practicum working at UP.  If that doesn't work, well ... long haul trucking has always beckoned me, and I wouldn't have to buy an RV!  Some people just don't know when to quit.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »