Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 8:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR  (Read 3298 times)
BNSF_1088
Historian
Re: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR

« Reply #40 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 9:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Oct 29th, 2004, 7:33pm, AmtrakFanIL wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I want to work in Mangement for Amtrak, UP or CN.

AmtrakFan

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

fragraf
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 2:10pm »

on Dec 7th, 2003, 11:44am, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim -

I'm 41 years old with no RR experience, so what could I bring to the table?  Enthusiasm, sure.  Knowledge and skill, nope.  And that's what a RR needs.  So I'll have to be content with my trackside perch.

-Charlie

C'mon Charlie, take the plunge...I've talked to the folks at the Reading and Northern, they'll train ya...Age: no problem...I'm 42 and will start Monday with the NS...can't wait....

Take pics, have fun...Never Foul A Track
fragraf
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 2:22pm »

I was never really a fan, but started thinking about railroading about 16 years ago.  I had worked for a police department, and was constanly working the edge of a NS yard in Richmond VA.  Got to know the folks down there....applied and was rejected.

Applied in '96 got rejected....

Since I have my divorce overwith, and the bank I worked for downsized me, I thought I would give it another run....

I had offers from the Evil Beaver CP, and the NS....

I took the NS...

Take pics, have fun...Never Foul A Track
AmtrakFanIL
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 10:34pm »

on Oct 29th, 2004, 9:48pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What do you mean by that?  Then my goal is to become the President of a RR company.

AmtrakFan

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 11:28pm »

on Oct 30th, 2004, 10:34pm, AmtrakFanIL wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What do you mean by that?  Then my goal is to become the President of a RR company.

AmtrakFan

We employees don't like MGT.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Rockmodeler1
TRAINing

« Reply #45 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 4:43pm »

For years after collage I had gone to the Norfolk Southern cattle call hiring sessions and only once made it past the initial testing session to get an interview where they were hiring about 7 people out of the 300 that showed up for the test.  Nothing became of that so I went from odd job to odd job and ended up becoming a paramedic.  For years I took the firefighter tests to only be passed up after being in the top 5 on many tests because I didn't know anyone or wasn't the politically correct type for the job quota.  I ended up spending 13 years at a private ambulance service which was fairly rewarding but it didn't matter if you were there 1 day or 13yrs, there was no bennefit to length of service nor any real retirement (401k is nice but it just doesn't cut it).  Then one day after a very frustrating week at work a friend called and said CSX was having a testing session near by and I went, passed, went to school in West Virginia, passed, and have been working on CSX now for about 2 months and I love it!!!  I already had crappy work hours because the only way to make a living in EMS is to get as much overtime as you can which ment 36 and 48 hr shifts, over 80hrs a week, so this is just up my alley!!!  If I truely had a choice back in my youth, I would have loved to work for the Burlington Northern.  They seemed so progressive in the 80's with the B-units, LPG engines, fuel tenders, double stacks just coming into their own, the Powder River Basin just getting into full swing.  I'm certainly not complaining, I love my new job but we all have that romantic notion of what the railroad was and could be.

JOHN

Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Nov 4th, 2004, 9:38am »

My lifetime dream was to be a engineer on NS'S Pocahontas District
or CSX'S New River Sub. I had to have part of my spine fused
a few years ago and the RR won't take people with that kind of history.
My PT was tough after surgery but I get around just fine now.
You probaly Can't tell what I had done unless you see the huge
scar on the back of my neck.

BUT... I have fulfilled one of my other lifetime dreams and that
is having a job in emergency services. I have a part time as
a EMS dispatcher and enjoy it very much.

Too bad I can't be a train dispatcher. That would be cool.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2004, 9:41am by Railroadman » Logged

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Nov 4th, 2004, 11:08am »

when i turn 18 i want to go to firemans school and be a fireman and shoval coal at the strasburg rr in 1 of their steamers and then work up to engineer

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
strasburg90
Historian
  Railroading/train5.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #48 on: Nov 4th, 2004, 11:09am »

or maybe the new hope and ivyland rr

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
DNatureofDTrain
Chaser

« Reply #49 on: Nov 5th, 2004, 4:55am »

"You lost me. Why would a RR require that you have a driver's license ? If they would want you to drive one of their vehicles, that would require a Chauffeur's license, or possibly a trucker's license. Either way, they should go for getting you that, including the training. Many workers at the LIRR do not have a driver's license, since public transportation in the metropolitan NYC area is incredible. My dad was elderly when he got his driver's license, and then took his time to get a car, since he had no place to park it in the city. The only thing that makes sense is that you might need a car to get to the job. But if a bus or subway etc. could do it, why bother ? "

They wanted me to have the drivers licence so I could prove that I am a responsible...

Well, I am not responsible enough to work on the railroad cause of lack of drivers licence., and because jobs are so dang hard to come by around here.

So I get to watch 9 foster kids, and 2 nephews all alone when my family leaves town.
As well as take phone calls, Do horse chores for 50+ horses, and help out with 4 households with yard work, and house work... on and off. And we won't mention the countless hours I spent helping others in Mental Health Chatrooms on how to seek proper help for their illnesses, and talking people through therapy.

So.. No.. Maybe they are right.... I guess I am not responsible enough for the railroad.

Oh yeah, just what I wanted to be.. a babysitter. NOT!.

I'm sorry. But I admit I am one of those disgruntled railfans when it comes to this topic. I was so dang close. To my first interview, and heaven forbid I did not have a driver's licence...

"I been workin' on the railroad, oh some day I will, and if they do not let me. I'll tell them to go to ****"  

(because I'll be ministering instead they will be the only ones I say that to, as on my path I do not believe Spirit/God Judges)

- Dana C. L.
"DNatureofDTrain"

ps.  I hope I did not ruin the thread. But this is a very very touchy topic to me. So my feelings are strong about it.

"May the Last order Never fade, and the Last rail never rust"

"DNatureofDTrain" L. C. Dana by Made together through roll 4025 WSOR and 316 DNDT
DNatureofDTrain
Chaser

« Reply #50 on: Nov 5th, 2004, 5:01am »

By the way here is a link to Wisconsin and Southern Railroad Company Job Openings.

Super Trucker Operator and Conductor Positions for anyone in the area that wants to pursue their dream.

http://www.wsorrailroad.com/openings.html

Or you can find some here.
and http://www.railjobs.com

- DNatureofDTrain.

"DNatureofDTrain" L. C. Dana by Made together through roll 4025 WSOR and 316 DNDT
HenryJ
TRAINing

« Reply #51 on: Nov 5th, 2004, 6:56am »

Here is a poll i just wanted to see how many of you want to work for the RR and for what one.
*******************************************************************I would like to work for CSX..Trains is something I have always loved,even when I was a kid...
 Iam about to give up my job(15years)working in the warehouse..Its not that bad?the job has never had any security,always threat of closer?,or moving the warehouse?or something?...and anyway, my kids are grown,and my wife gives me alot of support..(smile)
  I start to Conductor Training School in Janurary 2005 in Atlanta Ga(with some Luck, and God willing)....I finally get to do something in my life that I will love..
  Wish me Luck
 Have a Great Day...
 HenryJ  

If it ani't worth looking for? It ani't worth Having
Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Nov 5th, 2004, 12:15pm »

Congratulations Henry. Hope you enjoy your new Job. I know I would.

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
DNatureofDTrain
Chaser

« Reply #53 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 9:32am »

Henry, I'll be rootin' and prayin' for ya . - DNatureofDTrain.

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 7:32pm »

on Nov 5th, 2004, 6:56am, HenryJ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is a poll i just wanted to see how many of you want to work for the RR and for what one.
*******************************************************************I would like to work for CSX..Trains is something I have always loved,even when I was a kid...
 Iam about to give up my job(15years)working in the warehouse..Its not that bad?the job has never had any security,always threat of closer?,or moving the warehouse?or something?...and anyway, my kids are grown,and my wife gives me alot of support..(smile)
  I start to Conductor Training School in Janurary 2005 in Atlanta Ga(with some Luck, and God willing)....I finally get to do something in my life that I will love..
  Wish me Luck
 Have a Great Day...
 HenryJ  

Conductor school is not easy don't act like you know it all thats a good way to get you and your crew killed.You will have a lot of studying to do.

good luck

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

HenryJ
TRAINing

« Reply #55 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:36pm »

I would like to work for CSX..Trains is something I have always loved,even when I was a kid...
  Wish me Luck
 Have a Great Day...
 HenryJ  
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Thanks every-one for your support and comments..
 Have a good day to every-one..
 HenryJ

If it ani't worth looking for? It ani't worth Having
RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 3:31pm »

I would like to work as a Conductor/Engineer on the Reading and Northern Railroad here in Eastern, PA. That seems to be my best bet for working on any Railroad.

-Jeff

IGoDwnTwn
Enthusiast

« Reply #57 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:55am »

I start with BNSF in January...boy am I excited!!!!!

IGO

T.C.SHRED
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 9:49pm »

I worked my first mundane at 13 shoveling horse**** . so the idea of repetitive work doesn't bother me all that much , in the 30+ years since i have been a printing press operator ,warehousemen,truckdriver,warehouseman,pest control tech,warehou... keep goin back to the forklift. when i worked for carolina freight i could get called out 24,7 with 2 hour call out time , so thats nuthin new either.  
now I'm considering moving back up north to Western New York , and would love to work on the WNY&P , think they have a use for middle aged  warehouse workers? I have a CDL  
  By the way henry good luck from one warehouse rat to another & like they say in the corp SEMPER FI  

IGoDwnTwn
Enthusiast

« Reply #59 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 9:37pm »

Greetings  

I've had my first week at BNSF...WOW. Alot to this job!!! The best part is that I'm in the classroom or in training most of the winter months. We did go out the the yard friday (10 degrees outside). WE were out there about 6 hours total...with only a lunch break. Got a tour of a few engines and worked with a few rails cars...repairing knuckles and setting hand brakes...checking out the different style of switches and how to set them. There's alot to read!! WE got our GCOR, latern, radio, safety vest and gloves the first day of class. Got the CORA book yesterday....!! We had homework every night with a quizz the next morning. If you do the homework and read it over a few times, it will stick. Just have to apply yourself!!! In general...I LOVE IT!!!!!  

IGO  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »