Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 4:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR  (Read 3306 times)
DannyR

Re: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR

« Reply #20 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 1:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

In 1980, I applied for a position with the Chessie System(whether it would have been a B&O or C&O assignment I don't know) and in 1982, an application to Conrail was submitted. I did not hear from either so I embarked on what became a communications career in 1983 that has continued to the present. In 1993 after having been in North Carolina for six years, I took a test for CSX and passed but decided against it because of the sporadic schedules and the on call requirements that other posters have alluded to. Had I still been single and without a family, I would likely have gone on to training and a subsequent career.

Working for a railroad has been long glorified from a railfan point of view but after talking with many railroad employees over the years and in addition to what I have read here and elsewhere, much of the "glory" is misplaced. While I have the ultimate respect for those that move the industry, the choice was made to remain on the outside looking in.

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 1:12pm »

on Dec 8th, 2003, 10:35am, CP5657 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I work for the evil beaver, the Canadian Pacific Railway.

LOL

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

rrvideojunkie
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 11:08am »

I am almost 50 and applied for a job as a LIRR Assistant Conductor. I have had 2 interviews and have not heard anything in 4 months. Did they not accept me? Are they just slow? As a white male, am I low on the pecking order and they will contact me when theri minority quotas are full? Did I screw up somehow? I want a concrete answer right now.  Of course I know 9-5 hours with weekends off would be history if hired and I likely wouldn't have good seniority until I was at retirement age. Do I want these crazy hours at my age, or would just being on the railroad make me feel good enough that I wouldn't care about the hours? Maybe I just want a day job with weekends off. I will leave it in God's hands as to what is best for me. If the rr turns me down, God has other great plans for me. If the RR is the answer in God's eyes, then I should have a rewarding career there and I will hear from them soon.

UP_wife
Chaser

« Reply #23 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 1:54pm »

on Dec 7th, 2003, 11:44am, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim -
Frankly, my wife's a bit relieved.

-Charlie

She should be a LOT relieved!  

UP wife  

UP_wife
Chaser

« Reply #24 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 2:04pm »

on Jan 13th, 2004, 11:08am, rrvideojunkie wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I likely wouldn't have good seniority until I was at retirement age.

As soon as you're out of conductor training, apply to be an engineer.  RR's are headed towards everyone being engineer qualified and a one-man crew.  (God help us!)  But you'll be ahead of the conductors, seniority-wise who may eventually be forced into engine service.  

My husband and I thought a job with the RR was an answer to prayer.....but I also believe God has a bizzare sense of humor!  

UP wife  

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 1:17pm »

As a member of  railroad family, (there are still three of us (cousins) in the industry at some level or other).  

It's a lot easier now than it used to be, and I wouldn't think of doing any thing else at this stage, but don't kid yourself; if you don't like  being away from the family, missing holidays, reunions, and family outings, or working weird hours, get a job clerking.   The operating department of a railroad is no place to be.  

Having said all that, if I had my druthers I'd love to have worked back in the "Golden Era"  from about 1910 to 1950.  Passenger conductors then were the Lords Temporal.   And engineers, the Knights of the Realm.

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 1:35pm »

I was so close to trying to get on with a railroad as a conductor right out of high school, but I opted for college, and am currently studying Civil Engineering. I am hoping next summer to get an internship with BNSF, and finding out how to get into their engineering department after college.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 2:14pm »

Hi Zw etc.

You keep up with your Engineering studies, it will serve you well.

Some years ago, I was introduced to the "Chief Mechanical Officer" of the LIRR. I wanted to take some photographs of the Jamaica yard and the engines and rolling stock. After a little chat I was told that I was not to be given permission to take the photos. In the meantime I got some insight into this gentleman. Being an Engineer myself, unbeknownst to him, I could see he was marginally competent, but an excellent politiician. That was immediately a complete turn off. Keep up with your Engineering studies and don't worry about the politics. You might just find your niche with a railroad or whatever, where your engineering background is valued more than your political skills. And you don't have to worry about what super politician is trying to knife you in the back.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 3:44pm »

The only thing wrong with being a politician is------- being a politician. I have often felt that I would like to serve in an elected office, however I don't like what you have to do to get there. So---- I'll stay where I am.

At one time I had seriously considered trying to get a RR job ( would have been with the PRR at that time) but when I saw that my cousin was constantly being laid off by the New Haven RR, ( even though at that time he had more than 20 years with the RR) I thought I'd better do what I was preparing to do --- teach music. ( Law came later)

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2004, 3:45pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
trainpixsnet
Chaser

« Reply #29 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 1:39am »

If I was given the chance to be an engineer or conductor, I would love to do it. Though, I think I would rather be a Trainmaster. I dont care what company I would work for as long as it was a Class 1 RR -- they are all the same up there.

I'D RATHER BE RAILFANNING!!!™
Be sure to check out the TrainPixs Network

<{{{><
I.C.H.T.H.Y.S.
Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 10:05am »

Well, I'd say finish your school work, take all the management courses you can.   Hire out as a switch tender, or conductor to get some experience.  Check out the internship programs, although I think most of those are oriented towards the engineering and mechanical side of the house.

Trainmaster is a handfull.  

PX    

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2004, 10:05am by Passenger_Extra » Logged

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
sd50
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Jul 31st, 2004, 8:31am »

on Dec 7th, 2003, 11:44am, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim -
Yeh, the RR life from what I hear is very demanding.  The one message I get consistently on these boards from nearly every Class 1 RR employee is: "Kiss your personal life goodbye...and better keep a photo of your family in your wallet or you might forget what they look like."

The only alternatives I can see to this are the regional commuter lines and the short line or industrial roads.  A job with Septa Regional Rail, for example, would have me home every night (the last train runs around midnight)...but of course there's the insanity of Septa to deal with...and from what I'm told one has to pay his dues as a bus driver before entering the rail division (tho that doesn't really make sense and I hope I'm wrong).  

Then there are the smaller RRs like the Winchester & Western, Delaware-Lackawanna, New Hope & Ivyland, and Reading & Northern (just to name a few in the eastern PA-southern NJ region).  Problem is, the employment openings are few and far between...and in my case, I'm 41 years old with no RR experience, so what could I bring to the table?  Enthusiasm, sure.  Knowledge and skill, nope.  And that's what a RR needs.  So I'll have to be content with my trackside perch.

Frankly, my wife's a bit relieved.

-Charlie

I do work for one of the shortlines you mentioned, and I work regular hours in M.O.W. The traincrews however do not work regular hours. Granted they usually start at a set time. But they get back to the office anywheres from 6 to 12 hours OR MORE later when you include dead head time.  

WE hire people right off the street and have hired people that are 50+.

Conrail
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Aug 2nd, 2004, 1:08pm »

I want to work for the rr. I would want to work for either Guilford or CP. I got a couple years to go befor i can even serusley thinking about it thogh
preferabley engineer,  

last ditch MBTA purple line

or the Housatonic RR

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2004, 9:30am by Conrail » Logged

Conrail
free lance rr Worcster Central RR
Train Gifs from www.frograil.com and http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak9
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 1:23am »

Im in NC and after HS or college i think itd be cool to hire on with a short line in my area.    Where would I gain experience?  Would I just need general experience from college, or would a short line hire me on and then teach me?  Dont class 1s like NS and CSX have their own RR schools? I read that somewhere.
                  Cy

Go Braves!

VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 2:49pm »

I would like to work for a commuter or Amtrak.  I love passenger trains and the periodic interaction with people.  It's a lot less lonely than the freights, and as for commuters, you stay a lot closer to home with a better work schedule.

Jim

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #35 on: Sep 6th, 2004, 9:53pm »

I want to get a job desinging locomotives

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
DNatureofDTrain
Chaser

« Reply #36 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 2:41am »

My railroad career dream has been there since I was 2 years old.
At first I wanted to work for Union Pacific.. mainly cause I liked their paint scheme, but after awhile.. I do not know but I just did not like the feelings I got from them.

So I hunted to find out what railroad operated the tracks closest to home. That turned out to be first I learned it Was Wisconsin and Calumet.. but not that road is long gone.. Then I found out it was Wisconsin and Southern Railroad company..

So just three weeks before I graduated in 1999. I applied to the railroad company. I was sooooo happy.. But when we were setting up the date of my first interview. Then I got the crushing news.....

"I see here, that you do not have your driver's licence"

Every weekend I got a phone call.

"When are you gonna get that licence?"

It is now 5 years later and I still do not have that dang licence. Its cause that Murphey guy made that stinkin law.. (just kidding) "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong"  

I started to practice driving with my Dad and he is the only one who would take me out. Then a cement truck ran a stop sign and had to hit Dads truck. So my Dad was in and out of the hospital for 4 years, and just now has recovered enough to start take us driving. But.. whenever I get a date set up with him. Boom.. one of the stupid foster kids decide to get into trouble with the law, or get kicked out of school, or something comes up.

So I was hoping and praying there was a job without a drivers's licence requirement on the WSOR...  

So far.. I have not found one...  

Good news is I got to go driving three times this year... All but bad news is that was a month ago.

I did apply again this year for Wisconsin and Southern Railroad company for maintenance of way. But due to that and other negative factors in my family.. I do not have an real work experience that I can write down..

I do confess, that I still want to work for the railroad, and thought of never making it literally kills the **** out of me.

But as a back up plan I been studying, and got myself a legal ordination with an interfaith like church....

I love Spirit (God) but.. I still want to work for the railroad, and out of all the railroads I have fallen in love with the WSOR.

This year I got a special surprised from the WSOR. Three days before October 25th it was announced on a railroad group that the WSOR was comming out with a new engine... This engine was the WSOR 25th annivesary paint scheme. Many of the railroaders on this list had no idea. But on October 25th, I turned 25... And This was the first day people posted links to WSOR's special 25th annivesary engine.

This is also the first day in 5 years that I sat three cars from a railroad Crossing to Watch 3 WSOR units come passed on a way to a choir concert put on by the school.

The railroad I wanted to work for made my b-day golden, and they have no idea... how much these stupid lil coincidences put me into a high happy mood. My family is all flustered cause I never make a b-day list anymore. So I looked at mom after the train passed, and I said thanks for my b-day present. The 9 other foster kids in the 15 passenger van all asked, "This is what you wanted?" I said yes.

Now if some miracle could happen. I could get that driver's licence and get out there on the rails.... ****, even if I did not like that job. I would be happy just knowing I did pursue my life long dream, and my goal, and gave it a try.

Then I could rest, happily. Until then, I'll never rest...

- "DNatureofDTrain"

"May the Last order Never fade, and the Last rail never rust"

"DNatureofDTrain" L. C. Dana by Made together through roll 4025 WSOR and 316 DNDT
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 10:32am »

Hi DNatured etc.,

You lost me. Why would a RR require that you have a driver's license ? If they would want you to drive one of their vehicles, that would require a Chauffeur's license, or possibly a trucker's license. Either way, they should go for getting you that, including the training. Many workers at the LIRR do not have a driver's license, since public transportation in the metropolitan NYC area is incredible. My dad was elderly when he got his driver's license, and then took his time to get a car, since he had no place to park it in the city. The only thing that makes sense is that you might need a car to get to the job. But if a bus or subway etc. could do it, why bother ?

Second thoughts, a shame about your dad, but if you can scrape the cash together, sign up with a driving school to get the driver's license. Generally, the hardest part is passing the written test. Was such a course offered in your High School ? They usually can provide a car for the driving test. Certainly a driving school will provide the car and professional driver to get you to taking the tests. Good luck and don't give up.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
AmtrakFanIL
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 7:33pm »

I want to work in Mangement for Amtrak, UP or CN.

AmtrakFan

arnstg
Railfan

« Reply #39 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 9:45pm »

Graduated from High School in 1956 with a father, grandfather, and several uncles who were RR men. I seriously thought of that career but the RR's were severely contracting employment at the time. No jobs at any level were available.

I wonder what my life would have been if I had been able to take that path.

Hmmm.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »