Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 4:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR  (Read 3307 times)
BNSF_1088
Historian

« on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here is a poll i just wanted to see how many of you want to work for the RR and for what one.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

nkp774
Historian
Re: POLL WHO WANT'S TO WORK FOR THE RR

« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 10:59pm »

When I first got out of the service, back in 1968, I considered trying to get a job with then PennCentral in my field of communications. However, my career took me elsewhere and I guess it turned out for the better.

hudsonelectric
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 6:48pm »

Okay, okay. We all know that most all of us want to or had wanted to work for a railroad, fess up, guys!!   Me? I applied for a yard clerk job with the Southern back when I was living in New Orleans. The requirements were ratcheted up because there were so many applicants and that iced out most people, myself included, from the start. I also looked into AMTRAK and Metro North for ticket collector/trainman, but the starting rate was too much of a step backward and I couldn't afford the pay cut. It's too late in the game for me to start all over again at my age. Maybe if my wife could work longer hours and more days I could swing it? Ya think?  

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 7:04pm »

Your never to old to work for the RR

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

hudsonelectric
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 7:56pm »

on Nov 12th, 2003, 7:04pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Your never to old to work for the RR

Thanks for the compliment!  

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12th, 2003, 8:11pm »

Your welcome

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 9:28am »

Well anybody that has seen my posts is no stranger as to what
my favorite RR's are. I think just about any position with the RR
would be nice. Give the chance I would probaly work for
Norfolk Southern.  

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2003, 9:29am by Railroadman » Logged

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
BNSF_1088
Historian
  police-E.gif - 70482 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 9:56am »

If i could pass all the tests to become a Railroad Police Officer i would but i just don't have the writing skills and the collage stuff you have to do would be to hard for me.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Railroading/police-E.gif
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2003, 9:57am by BNSF_1088 » Logged

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Two23
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 11:57pm »

The hours are just too irregular for me to even consider it.  My wife is a hospital pharmacist and her hours vary widely.  We have two kids to watch and our closest relatives are hundreds of miles away.   And anyway, I'd rather be outside a train taking it's photo!    I love being a salesrep and traveling all around al the time.  I make my own schedule.  Now the UP used to have the best possible job for me--official photographer!  They had special cars for photgraphers and their equipment and they would travel all over the line taking promotional photos.  What a deal!  But, that was over a hundred years ago. . .

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
Jonathan Schoen
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 3:30pm »

I wanted to work for BNSF for a while. Than I discovered that they can call you in 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and you have to there within 2 hours! That's too much for me. I'm looking toward a career as a columnist for Railfan & Railroad.

Jonathan Schoen
President of the Teen Association of Model Railroaders, yo

What was it the engines said? Well, UP 119 called the Central Pacific Jupiter a western snob and Jupiter made fun of 119's midwester accent.

drivergto97
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 7:09pm »

on Nov 14th, 2003, 11:57pm, Two23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The hours are just too irregular for me to even consider it.  My wife is a hospital pharmacist and her hours vary widely.  We have two kids to watch and our closest relatives are hundreds of miles away.   And anyway, I'd rather be outside a train taking it's photo!    I love being a salesrep and traveling all around al the time.  I make my own schedule.  Now the UP used to have the best possible job for me--official photographer!  They had special cars for photgraphers and their equipment and they would travel all over the line taking promotional photos.  What a deal!  But, that was over a hundred years ago. . .

Kent in SD

Shoot Kent... your nearest neighbor is a hundred miles away!!      

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 11:44am »

Jim -
Yeh, the RR life from what I hear is very demanding.  The one message I get consistently on these boards from nearly every Class 1 RR employee is: "Kiss your personal life goodbye...and better keep a photo of your family in your wallet or you might forget what they look like."

The only alternatives I can see to this are the regional commuter lines and the short line or industrial roads.  A job with Septa Regional Rail, for example, would have me home every night (the last train runs around midnight)...but of course there's the insanity of Septa to deal with...and from what I'm told one has to pay his dues as a bus driver before entering the rail division (tho that doesn't really make sense and I hope I'm wrong).  

Then there are the smaller RRs like the Winchester & Western, Delaware-Lackawanna, New Hope & Ivyland, and Reading & Northern (just to name a few in the eastern PA-southern NJ region).  Problem is, the employment openings are few and far between...and in my case, I'm 41 years old with no RR experience, so what could I bring to the table?  Enthusiasm, sure.  Knowledge and skill, nope.  And that's what a RR needs.  So I'll have to be content with my trackside perch.

Frankly, my wife's a bit relieved.

-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 8:24pm »

on Dec 7th, 2003, 11:44am, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim -
Yeh, the RR life from what I hear is very demanding.  The one message I get consistently on these boards from nearly every Class 1 RR employee is: "Kiss your personal life goodbye...and better keep a photo of your family in your wallet or you might forget what they look like."

The only alternatives I can see to this are the regional commuter lines and the short line or industrial roads.  A job with Septa Regional Rail, for example, would have me home every night (the last train runs around midnight)...but of course there's the insanity of Septa to deal with...and from what I'm told one has to pay his dues as a bus driver before entering the rail division (tho that doesn't really make sense and I hope I'm wrong).  

Then there are the smaller RRs like the Winchester & Western, Delaware-Lackawanna, New Hope & Ivyland, and Reading & Northern (just to name a few in the eastern PA-southern NJ region).  Problem is, the employment openings are few and far between...and in my case, I'm 41 years old with no RR experience, so what could I bring to the table?  Enthusiasm, sure.  Knowledge and skill, nope.  And that's what a RR needs.  So I'll have to be content with my trackside perch.

Frankly, my wife's a bit relieved.

-Charlie

I hear you! Jim...  

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 5:56am »

Jim -

One other possibility is to sign on as a driver for crew vans (or intermodal bogies, since you've got trucking experience). I've seen ads in the paper for drivers for Morrisville yard's jitney, for instance. You'd probably have to rotate shifts and all that, but at least you'd be close to home. And you'd get to hang out with railroaders and hear a thousand reasons to hate the railroad! - Bob

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 6:09am »

on Dec 8th, 2003, 5:56am, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim -

One other possibility is to sign on as a driver for crew vans (or intermodal bogies, since you've got trucking experience). I've seen ads in the paper for drivers for Morrisville yard's jitney, for instance. You'd probably have to rotate shifts and all that, but at least you'd be close to home. And you'd get to hang out with railroaders and hear a thousand reasons to hate the railroad! - Bob

Can you outline the duties of each job - Bob. Thanks! Jim...  

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 6:36am »

on Dec 8th, 2003, 6:09am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Can you outline the duties of each job - Bob. Thanks! Jim...  

I'm not a railroader, Jim, so I'm not your best source for that info. But from what I've observed, van/jitney drivers are basically responsible for taxiing employees around the yard, and crews to/from their trains (either in the yard or out on the line if they've outlawed) and to/from their motel rooms when they go on/off duty. I'm sure that a clean driving record and knowledge of local geography would be essential.

Bogie drivers shuttle trailers around intermodal yards, picking them up as they're offloaded and parking them for forwarding. And vice versa. Pretty routine stuff. Since you already have a CDL, you're obviously a step up on the qualifications.

Maybe other members can give you more details?

- Bob

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 9:00am »

Jim -
For crew van work there are a few major companies that handle that sort of thing...Renzenberger has been hiring for NS in the Allentown and Baltimore areas...but the pay is only $7 per hour...so it's gonna hafta be a labor of love.  Another company is PTI (Professional Transportation, Inc.) Their number is on the crew vans, but I don't have it written down.

You can probably go to your local yard office and ask.
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
The Evil Beaver
Railfan

« Reply #17 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 10:35am »

Quote:
I work for the RR which isn't all it's cracked up to be believe me , it's a job . I like what I do I just don't like the people who run the place

I say the exact same thing to people when I talk to them in person, nicely put Dave.

I work for the evil beaver, the Canadian Pacific Railway.

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2003, 10:36am by The Evil Beaver » Logged

I'm first out already!
Don_Grabski
Enthusiast

« Reply #18 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:54am »

I would like to do it for a year before I retire.

Don Grabski
Happy Rails
Please visit my website:
http://www.daylightdon.com
Ranaldo20
Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 12:35pm »

I almost went to school to be a conductor for CSX, but then i decided that i have too much of a home life to be gone so much, so i went back to college instead.
If i had a time machine, I would go to work for the Southern.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »