Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 17th, 2017, 3:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Out of gas
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   Out of gas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Out of gas  (Read 2191 times)
cn2220
Historian
Re: Out of gas

« Reply #40 on: Jul 30th, 2008, 4:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 27th, 2003, 10:35pm, Ken V wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Does this happen from time to time or is it almost never heard of?

More common than you'd think on CN. Train 570 at Lillooet, engineer radioed the powers that be before leaving Lillooet saying they didn't have enough fuel to make it to Squamish. He was told "We're not fueling the engines until they get to Squamish, you have enough to get to Squamish". Sure enough, about half way to Squamish they ran out of fuel.  

Before I transfered over to the former BC Rail, I worked a transfer job out of North Vancouver to the CPR at Sapperton and back, we told them before we left North Vancouver that the units needed fuel, we were told that the units were not getting fueled until they got to Thornton yard 48 hours later. We got to the CPR at Sapperton ok, but as soon as we started to pull on the 100 grain loads the lead unit died...ran out of fuel. Long story short we had to double the Lake City Hill in Burnaby. What was normally a 4 hour round trip took us 8 hours.  

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pilot.Dean
TRAINing

« Reply #41 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 10:58pm »

If you run out of fuel, can you get out and push?

How much does the rate of consumption vary by train length, freight weight, road grade, etc?

Are there performance charts or computer programs that give an estimated fuel burn for a given route?  

A trip computer that tells you your remaining range?

Is there any sort of fuel plan published in advance of a run, because the above comments make it sound like some dope in an office just guesses and tells the engineer to wing it!?!

Is there a fuel indication in the "cockpit", or just the gauge on the side of the tank itself (which you can only see standing on the ground) and how do you tell how much fuel is in the (pardon my not knowing the proper term) "slave" loco's behind when you're in the "master" loco and underway?

Fuel is planned down to the pound and watched like a hawk constantly in a jet airplane. This all seems very foreign to me to be so cavaleir.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2008, 11:03pm by Pilot.Dean » Logged
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:39am »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 10:58pm, Pilot.Dean wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If you run out of fuel, can you get out and push?

How much does the rate of consumption vary by train length, freight weight, road grade, etc?

Are there performance charts or computer programs that give an estimated fuel burn for a given route?  

A trip computer that tells you your remaining range?

Is there any sort of fuel plan published in advance of a run, because the above comments make it sound like some dope in an office just guesses and tells the engineer to wing it!?!

Is there a fuel indication in the "cockpit", or just the gauge on the side of the tank itself (which you can only see standing on the ground) and how do you tell how much fuel is in the (pardon my not knowing the proper term) "slave" loco's behind when you're in the "master" loco and underway?

Fuel is planned down to the pound and watched like a hawk constantly in a jet airplane. This all seems very foreign to me to be so cavaleir.

Out here, CN's computers are programed for flat grades, the BCRail has some nasty grades. While the train would make it on the flat mainline, on the BCR the engines are being run at full throttle or full DB for a good portion of the trip. The crew will say they don't have enough fuel to make it, whoever is making the decision looks in the computer which says they should have enough fuel to make it and because CN has a policy to never trust their employees, he or she tells the crew to go.  

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:44am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »