Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 9:45am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Getting a cabride
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   Getting a cabride
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Getting a cabride  (Read 2543 times)
Conrail6707
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Getting a cabride

« Reply #40 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 5:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've gotten moving cabrides on three tourist railroads and I've been in an SD80MAC and an Acela, not giving exact locations for the SD80MAC and Acela because I do not want the crews to get into trouble, if you want to get a cabride your best bet is a small shortline, its best to bet permission by the railroad itself because, as I said before, you can get fired for letting people in cabs of locomotives thse days (thanks to the word "lawsuit").

Conrail
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 6:34pm »

it was probably said befor be nice. and ask the highset up person at that location, best bet is a yard master.  

its just an idea. ive never gottan a cab ride but i have gotten to sit in and see cabs of variouse engines. granted only the engineer agreed to it not any hire ups.

i found watching RJ Corman working to put two GP40-2s back on the rails, me and my dad had permision from the RJ COrman forman and the the forman of the railroad there who also gave us a ride to greet the RJ corman guys. not giving any locations though as said befor to save peoples jobs.

i might as well say the RJ Corman crew we met was very friendly even after a very long ride.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2004, 6:35pm by Conrail » Logged

Conrail
free lance rr Worcster Central RR
Train Gifs from www.frograil.com and http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak9
nkp_h6
Chaser

« Reply #42 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 5:42pm »

I've never gotten a cabride, but I have been invited into the cab of a CSX C40-8W while it was waiting for another train to pass. The crew even gave me a pair of CSX safety glasses .

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 6:11pm »

Hi,

Getting a cab ride is not that difficult, depending on where you are, and whom you know.

So, there I was at the Orange Empire RR Museum and a fellow, Bob, saw me looking up at him at the controls of an RSD-4. He invited me up into his cab, and up I went. Had a marvelous time and enjoyed the ride. You have to be at the right place at the right time. And don't be bashful, ask. Good luck. And, keep us informed of your efforts.  

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #44 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 1:39am »

on Oct 7th, 2003, 11:32pm, 5727 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

However, one time I was treated to the VERY unique experience of getting a cabride in a steam train...it was up on the Wakefield line, a historical touristy thing. It's about a 50km ride to Wakefield (Quebec) and consists of a massive old engine towing six passenger/tourist cars. I was chatting with the engineer, and he ended up letting me ride in the cab, hanging out the door on the way back. The second crewman was called Nicholai, from Romania, and didn't really speak any English, and the guy who invited me on board would just yell "OK, Nicky!" and Nicholai would do whatever he had to do next. It was pretty cool! It was so fascinating to be in the cab of a working steam train...I even got to pull the whistle at crossings!
Tragically....REALLY tragically...I had used all my camera film taking pictures from the train and of the train in Wakefield as it rolled through town to come pick us up and I got NOT ONE shot from the cab!!

I still dream of getting a long cabride on the CN mainline going west out of NS...but I haven't seen my friend in the railyard in months, I don't know what happened to him...

I went on that train once. It's a shame CP abandonned that line. It hurt seeing old industry sidings and passing sidings and that one small yard just laying there in the weeds never to be used again.  

When we got to Wakefield, seeing the line continue to go on around the corner and them making a big buffer there to end the used proportion sucked.  

And how it just ended right there in the middle of Hull too. If only CP still operated trains on that line, that would be great to see.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 4:10pm »

Interesting reading.

I would expect cab rides (or even cab tour) on operating crew authority would be pretty chancy these days - though I saw a kid get a cab tour of a TRE loco last year.  Not because the crew wouldn't like to - but because of the risk of being disciplined if any of the brass ahts found out.

BEst cab ride i eevr had came from a Kiwanis meeting. I sat next to a vsitor who turned out to be the president of thr shortline Angelina & Neches River out of Lufkin. After JAck found out I was a train nut, he invited me to come down and ride his train sometime. At taht time I worked for the state of Texas, so I had to wait for a day off, but one fine spring day we had a state holiday, and a phone call asking if the invite still stood got me a day  on the A&NR. Rode both cab (SW-1500) and caboose, working two yards, dropping and picking up loads and generally having a great time.  

A couple of recent talks with some folks suggests that getting a committment from a newspaper or a magazine to take a story about a day on a train and then talking to the PR people can work well. You get the authorization, nobody gets nervous, and things are fine. I've thought about giving that a try on the UP through town but since I've gotten crippled up enough that getting on and off the train would make any railroad employee nervous for fear I'd fall and somebody would hold him responsible (even though a release would be required), I've not done that.

Locoengineer
TRAINing

« Reply #46 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 12:06am »

on Jul 31st, 2003, 12:36pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi All,

Interesting points, however you can extend that to class A RR's, let alone short lines.

I used to "hang out" at the Sunnyside yards of the PRR, now Amtrak, and got invited on board many a GG-1, including cabrides. After a while I was on first name basis with several of the Engineman, and a few conductors. By the way, the conductor is always the boss on a moving train. He is the top cat. A good man to know for a cabride.

Not on the locomotive. The conductor is in charge of the train including its lading destination and performance. The locomotive engineer is in charge of the locomotive.

Rick

Digger
TRAINing

« Reply #47 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 12:12pm »

on Jul 30th, 2003, 8:01pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Always talk to the Conductor i will let you in

Didn't you get fired?

kjohn
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Aug 8th, 2011, 12:47am »

When I was working in southern Sask. on a temporary job, I used to stop in at a trackside grain handling place and shoot the breeze with one of the owners.  A couple of years later, I was in a donut shop/police station with a couple of other guys.  The fellow I used to visit was in there.  He knew one of the guys I was with and asked him to have me phone him.  He asked me if I was still interested in trains.  I said, "Are you kidding?!!  I lay awake at nights thinking about trains!". It turns out that they bought a shortline railroad of their own, and he asked if I would like to go for a ride!  It doesn't come much better than that.

1st generation EMD preferred!!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Aug 8th, 2011, 3:35pm »

on Aug 8th, 2011, 12:47am, kjohn wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When I was working in southern Sask. on a temporary job, I used to stop in at a trackside grain handling place and shoot the breeze with one of the owners.  A couple of years later, I was in a donut shop/police station with a couple of other guys.  The fellow I used to visit was in there.  He knew one of the guys I was with and asked him to have me phone him.  He asked me if I was still interested in trains.  I said, "Are you kidding?!!  I lay awake at nights thinking about trains!". It turns out that they bought a shortline railroad of their own, and he asked if I would like to go for a ride!  It doesn't come much better than that.

Yep, that way works really well if you are fortunate enough to have it happen.

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #50 on: Aug 12th, 2011, 2:14pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2004, 5:24pm, dougal wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've gotten moving cabrides on three tourist railroads and I've been in an SD80MAC and an Acela, not giving exact locations for the SD80MAC and Acela because I do not want the crews to get into trouble, if you want to get a cabride your best bet is a small shortline, its best to bet permission by the railroad itself because, as I said before, you can get fired for letting people in cabs of locomotives thse days (thanks to the word "lawsuit").

Most railroads have a pretty strict policy against this, and it takes special permission and some special circumstance to obtain such.  Mostly it applies to the media and police doing a ride-along to stop "gate crashers".  Railroads are very safety-aware and fear liability if a non-employee were to get hurt.

You are asking a crew to put their jobs at risk by asking for such a favor; a favor that amounts to nothing more than a hobby, or a game to you.  To the railroad, their interest is moving freight over the road and earning a profit for their stockholders. It is certainly not a game to them. Letting someone who is not well-insured by an employer (police or well-heeled media company) is an open invitation to a loss.
Please don't ASK crews to risk their livelihoods to indulge your foamer hobby!

GF

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Aug 12th, 2011, 2:48pm »

Gadfly, I am in complete sympathy with everything you said. Or was - until that last line...

There really isn't a requirement for insult.

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2011, 2:55pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #52 on: Aug 13th, 2011, 9:30pm »

on Aug 12th, 2011, 2:48pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Gadfly, I am in complete sympathy with everything you said. Or was - until that last line...

There really isn't a requirement for insult.

But that is really what it is, isn't it?  Asking a crew(man) to risk his job so somebody can engage in a fantasy?   So many railbuffs lose sight of the fact that railroads are not there for "fun".  Whatever you wish to call it, I am afraid I would decline such a request knowing there might be a wicked Trainmaster lurking somewhere!  IMHO, fans belong on the ground, crews belong in the cab! It's just that simple.  
GF

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Aug 18th, 2011, 7:11pm »

An opinion I can understand and to a degree agree with. I would not ask a crewman to allow me on his train. i would ask an appropriate official for authorization, however.

Having been in the cab (and caboose), Itis clear that there is often more to be seen, from the railfan's POV, from the ground than the train - but a cab-ride isn't a fantasy, noit rally. More a matter of wanting to experience something to add to his understanding of a subject that interests him.

To you, nothing but business. Probably don't give a flying flip about railroads or railroading except the paycheck. The railfan is - less narrow. Which doesn't mean he is, in modern times, right to ask a crewman for something that could impact the crewman;s paycheck.

But- no reason to be insulting about it. A simple "I'm sorry, it is against company policy" without adding "You F****g foamer" (even silently) is adequate.

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #54 on: Aug 19th, 2011, 5:39pm »

on Aug 18th, 2011, 7:11pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
An opinion I can understand and to a degree agree with. I would not ask a crewman to allow me on his train. i would ask an appropriate official for authorization, however.

Having been in the cab (and caboose), Itis clear that there is often more to be seen, from the railfan's POV, from the ground than the train - but a cab-ride isn't a fantasy, noit rally. More a matter of wanting to experience something to add to his understanding of a subject that interests him.

To you, nothing but business. Probably don't give a flying flip about railroads or railroading except the paycheck. The railfan is - less narrow. Which doesn't mean he is, in modern times, right to ask a crewman for something that could impact the crewman;s paycheck.

But- no reason to be insulting about it. A simple "I'm sorry, it is against company policy" without adding "You F****g foamer" (even silently) is adequate.

I don't recall using that term (f****g foamer.  Yes,  we DID often refer to railbuffs as "foamers" and "The National Railway 'Hysterical' Society".  I won't deny that some of us were less than complimentary (at times), tolerant at times, and sometimes bemused by their antics. Admittedly,  the view of wannabe railroaders was tainted by their sometimes antics AND by our view of the situation from an entirely different perspective.  Yes, WE were on the trains, on the engines, in the yard offices doing the job.  We rode the diesels, handed up the orders, worked the steam trains (excursions), and it was, to US, quite boring, really.  Just a lot of noise, horn signals and CALLING signals, and going outside in the rain (agency clerks/operators) to watch trains by which was required by the rules. It engenders a totally different outlook on the railroad; we just wanted to finish our trip/shift and go home!  With that in mind, I guess, after doing it for years on end, we can't understand WHY people have such a fascination for railroads. It really isn't all that exciting.......really!  

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Aug 20th, 2011, 6:16pm »

"...your foamer hjobby..." - the expletive, given the tone of your whole reply was implicitly there, if silent.

There are a lot of things that are interesting from the outside on a part-time basis, when to somebody doing it for job it is - just a job. Criminal defense lawyering, for example. Ain't much like Perry Mason or any of the other TV lawyer shows.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Aug 20th, 2011, 8:52pm »

Gadfly:

I can see your point of view to an extent.  To you, the paycheck, following the rules, getting over the road safely, doing your job to go home. I understand that.  There really is not any "glamour" in that.  

To the responsible-note the use of my word there-railfan, there isn't a question about that.  Depending on their particular interest, it could be history, it could be engineering, it could be scenic photo opportunities...and let's face it, very few businesses ANYWHERE have the colorful history of railroading.  What other industry has the past of railroading?  How many other companies can trace their lineage back to the 1830s, as in the case of a CSX?  IBM certainly can't, nor can Boeing, or for that matter, Caterpillar Tractor or the overwhelming number of businesses you can name.  How many people remember what Thomas Watson, Senior did, but know what Harriman and Hill and Vanderbilt and Crocker did?

When the development of this country comes up, what people and events do the high school history teachers mention that students are most likely to remember?  The Robber Barons involved with railroad construction, or the bonanza farmers and John Deere?  And what was Custer supposed to be doing that led him (and the 7th Cavalry) to the Little Big Horn?

I'm just musing away here, but the attraction of the steel rail on the steel rail has a long and colorful history, with widely varied possibilities for responsible railfanning.  

And to keep this post on-topic, yes, I have had a cab ride.  I was a working journalist at the time, and was assigned a to do a story in conjunction with a Burlington Northern/Otter Tail Valley/North Dakota and Minnesota Safety Councils sponsored Operation Lifesaver event with several local law enforcement agencies.
All the usual permits were signed before going out on an empty westbound coal train.

I have no use for irresponsible railfans-I don't know why anyone would tolerate them.  They ruin it for the rest of us.

Alan

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #57 on: Aug 21st, 2011, 1:47pm »

on Aug 20th, 2011, 8:52pm, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Gadfly:

I can see your point of view to an extent.  To you, the paycheck, following the rules, getting over the road safely, doing your job to go home. I understand that.  There really is not any "glamour" in that.  

To the responsible-note the use of my word there-railfan, there isn't a question about that.  Depending on their particular interest, it could be history, it could be engineering, it could be scenic photo opportunities...and let's face it, very few businesses ANYWHERE have the colorful history of railroading.  What other industry has the past of railroading?  How many other companies can trace their lineage back to the 1830s, as in the case of a CSX?  IBM certainly can't, nor can Boeing, or for that matter, Caterpillar Tractor or the overwhelming number of businesses you can name.  How many people remember what Thomas Watson, Senior did, but know what Harriman and Hill and Vanderbilt and Crocker did?

When the development of this country comes up, what people and events do the high school history teachers mention that students are most likely to remember?  The Robber Barons involved with railroad construction, or the bonanza farmers and John Deere?  And what was Custer supposed to be doing that led him (and the 7th Cavalry) to the Little Big Horn?

I'm just musing away here, but the attraction of the steel rail on the steel rail has a long and colorful history, with widely varied possibilities for responsible railfanning.  

And to keep this post on-topic, yes, I have had a cab ride.  I was a working journalist at the time, and was assigned a to do a story in conjunction with a Burlington Northern/Otter Tail Valley/North Dakota and Minnesota Safety Councils sponsored Operation Lifesaver event with several local law enforcement agencies.
All the usual permits were signed before going out on an empty westbound coal train.

I have no use for irresponsible railfans-I don't know why anyone would tolerate them.  They ruin it for the rest of us.

Alan

That may also be why my replies may be construed as sarcastic or denigrating towards fans, tho unintentional as it is! Its just that I encountered some of these over-the-top "National Railway HYSTERICAL Society" types, and yes, it creates a negative impression of fans---the few influencing the many who don't create trouble. I can't tell you the number of railbuffs we "shooed" out of unauthorized places, the one that got belligerent because I inadvertently got in the way of his shot while enroute up to the cab of a steam excursion to deliver orders. I gritted my teeth to keep from knocking that smart-mouthed guy off the ramp!  The worst was the young kid that began to hang around my station and worry me constantly with questions. I had to shoo him off the engine tied up on the house track. And the last straw was when he sought out my house and began showing up at inconvenient times, and TOO MANY times. It was my wife that told me to get rid of this brat!    Having him show up almost everyday was just..............well, over the top!

I am well aware of the devotion of some fans, and these extremists, militants or FOAMERS, as we came to call them, these are the ones who incur the ire, ridicule or contempt, of rails and beg for cab rides. Heck, I've seen 'em standing out on the landing looking up into the cab of our E8, almost as if they were about to burst into tears for want of a (illegal according to the rules) cabride!  I rode in one night on a steam train, riding the head end.   These fans were almost transfixed, hypnotized, by this "wonderful" sight, gazing, as if in a trance, up at us,  and I wondered how money they would PAY us if they could trade places?   OTH, we worried that, running with cameras, next to the engine, they might fall under the train before we could get stopped because they seemed to forget their footing, or where they were.

So if my perspective is a bit different, if I get TOO sarcastic, remind me and I will opologize! It's just that my view is influenced from sitting in the seat opposite the fan. Meantime, I did NOT use ANY expletive, according to the other gentleman, especially "f****ing foamer", and I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth nor having spurious interpretations made of same!

GF

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #58 on: Aug 21st, 2011, 5:57pm »

on Aug 21st, 2011, 1:47pm, Gadfly wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That may also be why my replies may be construed as sarcastic or denigrating towards fans, tho unintentional as it is! Its just that I encountered some of these over-the-top "National Railway HYSTERICAL Society" types, and yes, it creates a negative impression of fans---the few influencing the many who don't create trouble. I can't tell you the number of railbuffs we "shooed" out of unauthorized places, the one that got belligerent because I inadvertently got in the way of his shot while enroute up to the cab of a steam excursion to deliver orders. I gritted my teeth to keep from knocking that smart-mouthed guy off the ramp!  The worst was the young kid that began to hang around my station and worry me constantly with questions. I had to shoo him off the engine tied up on the house track. And the last straw was when he sought out my house and began showing up at inconvenient times, and TOO MANY times. It was my wife that told me to get rid of this brat!    Having him show up almost everyday was just..............well, over the top!

I am well aware of the devotion of some fans, and these extremists, militants or FOAMERS, as we came to call them, these are the ones who incur the ire, ridicule or contempt, of rails and beg for cab rides. Heck, I've seen 'em standing out on the landing looking up into the cab of our E8, almost as if they were about to burst into tears for want of a (illegal according to the rules) cabride!  I rode in one night on a steam train, riding the head end.   These fans were almost transfixed, hypnotized, by this "wonderful" sight, gazing, as if in a trance, up at us,  and I wondered how money they would PAY us if they could trade places?   OTH, we worried that, running with cameras, next to the engine, they might fall under the train before we could get stopped because they seemed to forget their footing, or where they were.

So if my perspective is a bit different, if I get TOO sarcastic, remind me and I will opologize! It's just that my view is influenced from sitting in the seat opposite the fan. Meantime, I did NOT use ANY expletive, according to the other gentleman, especially "f****ing foamer", and I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth nor having spurious interpretations made of same!

GF

If it was in fact a spurious attribution - I apologize. In the same spirit as the apology was sought.

It isn't sarcasm I see in your posts - it is dislike approaching hatred. I will note i spent thitry years examining and cross-examining people under oath, and you do learn to pick up on what isn't spoken aloud in that time.... JMO

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2011, 5:58pm by ClydeDET » Logged
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Aug 21st, 2011, 10:11pm »

Clyde:

While I don't have the extensive interviewing experience you have, I'd have to agree with you.  

A railfan of any age going to the extent of following employees home is way over the edge.  It's one thing to be invited, which is obviously not the situation Gadfly was in.

I am peturbed about his NRHS reference.  In the chapter I was in, no one fit the hysterical or foamer definition Gadfly uses.  This may well not be the case in all chapters, of course.  In fact, we had a mix of retired railroad employees, active employees, and just railfans.

And if some of the stories the retired rails told were even half true, I have to wonder how they stayed on a railroad payroll.  

Alan

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »