Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 7:46pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Getting a cabride
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   Getting a cabride
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Getting a cabride  (Read 2537 times)
NathBDP
Historian
Re: Getting a cabride

« Reply #20 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:02am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:55am, VentureForth wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow.  I was chastized by an engineer for asking if I could take a photo of the cab.  He told me that no pictures were allowed since 9/11 and that I shouldn't be taking pictures of the train at all.  This was on the Dallas TRE - a commuter!  

Don't take pictures of trains since 9/11!  That's a new one.  I sometimes wonder how these people come to the conclusion about how a simple photo of a train could be used for nefarious purposes--and as far as the no photos since 9/11 thing, haha.  There's a reason why the government hasn't enacted  a law of "No train photography" like in WWII... it's because the railroads aren't as important as they used to be.

..all train compartments smell
vaguely of crap. It gets so you
don't mind it. That's the worst
thing that I can confess. You know
how long it took me to get there?
A long time.
Two23
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:05am »

on Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:55am, VentureForth wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 I would love to work out some sort of internship (in other words, part time, keeping my current job) and work towards getting my LEC.  Other than completely abandoning my family and 'running away with the circus', I don't see how that's gonna work.

There is actually an engineer's school I saw advertised in "TRAINS" magazine called "MODOC."   Don't know how long it goes or whether or not railroads take training from there seriously.  There are some tourist RR's around that let you run the train for a medium-sized donation.  I think one is in Ohio (or is it Illinois?)

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:08am »

on Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:05am, Two23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There is actually an engineer's school I saw advertised in "TRAINS" magazine called "MODOC."   Don't know how long it goes or whether or not railroads take training from there seriously.  There are some tourist RR's around that let you run the train for a medium-sized donation.  I think one is in Ohio (or is it Illinois?)

Kent in SD

Correct Kent.

Modoc Railroad Academy...
http://modocrailroadacademy.com/

I remember reading that the California Railway Museum in Portola used to allow railfans to drive a locomotive for a fee. Is this still done?  

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:23am »

Interesting website...  I particularly like the statement "Over the next decade, America's railroads will face an urgent shortage of qualified, well-trained men and women to operate and manage today's modern railroads. Estimates range from 60,000 to 210,000 people will be needed."

From 1990 to 1994, I paid $80,000 for a college degree to become a pilot.  I wanted a Business Admin degree with a minor in flight.  They told me in 1990 that by 1995, a majority of airline pilots would reach federal mandated retirement age.  With the influx of young pilots, they said, one with an A&P (mechanics) certificate would stand above the average pilot.

THAT didn't happen!  

Back to the school, $5k for conductor school 2000 miles away for 2 months is just a little out of my league.  I may be happy with just a cabride.  

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:30am by VentureForth » Logged
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:33am »

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
ctempleton3
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 5:08pm »

Wow.  I was chastized by an engineer for asking if I could take a photo of the cab.  He told me that no pictures were allowed since 9/11 and that I shouldn't be taking pictures of the train at all.  This was on the Dallas TRE - a commuter!  I guess a fat white guy taking pictures is more suspicious than the countless unattended boxes in the train.

Wow I kind of find that interesting. I have found the engineers and conductors to be pretty nice on the TRE. I have found that they give you any information you would like. There was one engineer that left the door open in the cab on the passenger car an talked with me the entire trip. I have never tried to take pictures of the cab. Which engineer did you have? If you can describe him I will know which one you are speaking of so that I can take a wide birth around him.  

- Charles Templeton

- Charles Templeton
Trinity Railway Express Moderator
aXion23
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #26 on: Aug 24th, 2003, 8:44am »

When I volunteered for the Naugatuck Railroad, I got a cabride in a GP9 and an RS-3.

-Mike

Locomotive Database

My Photo's at RailPictures.net
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Aug 25th, 2003, 3:45pm »

on Aug 24th, 2003, 8:44am, aXion23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When I volunteered for the Naugatuck Railroad, I got a cabride in a GP9 and an RS-3.

Not bad.  

They shouldn't call it "volunteering", because you're getting paid in cabrides, which to me would be just as good as money!    

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Aug 25th, 2003, 4:14pm »

Hi NJ,

You are quite right, you often get paid in things other than money, a cabride is one of them. Some years ago, when the Maine Two Footers were alive and well at the Edaville RR, South Carver, Mass. I helped a hostler clean out the ash pan of his Forney two footer. After we finished, I was invited to ride the engine into the park and enter the facility, with his compliments. I got a ride in his cab, and free admittance to the park. Needless to say, a fond memory, and a soft spot in my heart for the Edaville RR.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Aug 26th, 2003, 1:56pm »

on Aug 22nd, 2003, 5:08pm, ctempleton3 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Which engineer did you have? If you can describe him I will know which one you are speaking of so that I can take a wide birth around him.  

- Charles Templeton

For the most part, they are friendly and helpful.  I guess this guy just had a chip on his shoulder that needed a little sanding down.  White guy, black tight hair, heavier than skinny... That about describes 90% of the engineers, huh?  One guy I talked to was real cool.  He told me how he liked driving the RDCs more than the Bi-Level trains.  He also likes the workout opening all the doors.  Heh heh!

Jim

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2003, 8:42am by VentureForth » Logged
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Aug 26th, 2003, 2:06pm »

Quote:
That about describes 90% of the engineers, huh?  

5727chaser
Railfan

« Reply #31 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 11:32pm »

"I guess a fat white guy taking pictures is more suspicious than the countless unattended boxes in the train."

Tell me about it...recently, the CN Rockingham people put up razor wire along the tracks because some hooligans had been breaking into containers and stealing things. I was about 2 km down the tracks taking photos of a stopped train in Birch Cove - where a few railfans and retired CN employees hang out to chat and share pictures - and this one guy (I assume he was an engineer) told me to stop taking pictures or leave the area. I can only imagine he thought I was using them for "scouting" wanting to steal things...but really, how could anyone think a big fat white guy with a quality camera taking pictures of the LOCO with other RR people standing nearby would present a threat?!

The only time I got a cabride on a modern day RR was when my old buddy in the south end railyards, after weeks of me begging with him every time we chatted, finally agreed to let mw in while he was shuffling containers around the south end railyard. When I climbed in, an engineer on another train radioed my guy, saying "Hey, a guy just jumped on your train!" My driver got spooked, thinking the railyard cop might come, and made me get out (I was happy to oblige) but never allowed me on again.

However, one time I was treated to the VERY unique experience of getting a cabride in a steam train...it was up on the Wakefield line, a historical touristy thing. It's about a 50km ride to Wakefield (Quebec) and consists of a massive old engine towing six passenger/tourist cars. I was chatting with the engineer, and he ended up letting me ride in the cab, hanging out the door on the way back. The second crewman was called Nicholai, from Romania, and didn't really speak any English, and the guy who invited me on board would just yell "OK, Nicky!" and Nicholai would do whatever he had to do next. It was pretty cool! It was so fascinating to be in the cab of a working steam train...I even got to pull the whistle at crossings!
Tragically....REALLY tragically...I had used all my camera film taking pictures from the train and of the train in Wakefield as it rolled through town to come pick us up and I got NOT ONE shot from the cab!!

I still dream of getting a long cabride on the CN mainline going west out of NS...but I haven't seen my friend in the railyard in months, I don't know what happened to him...

« Reply #32 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 12:12am »

on Aug 24th, 2003, 8:44am, aXion23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I volunteer with the Austin & Texas Central Railroad, and get to ride an RSD-15 and a MK-5 Mikado (when it's in service).

Jim

www.austinsteamtrain.org

Another ferroequinologist out chasing trains! www.austinsteamtrain.org
LehighValley107

« Reply #33 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 6:21pm »

I take kids into the cab to blow the horn or "just look around" if they look/seem intertested.

Regards,
Christopher W. Barany

"The route of The Black Diamond"

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 11:24pm »

Just remember, I'm a kid at heart!  
Welcome to the Forums.  
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 3:23am »

on Oct 15th, 2003, 12:12am, trainman786 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I volunteer with the Austin & Texas Central Railroad, and get to ride an RSD-15 and a MK-5 Mikado (when it's in service).

Jim

www.austinsteamtrain.org

How are they doing with that mike? Will it be running by March or April?

Jim...  

trainman786
Railfan

« Reply #36 on: Feb 9th, 2004, 6:52pm »

on Feb 9th, 2004, 3:23am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

How are they doing with that mike? Will it be running by March or April?

Jim...  

Unfortunately, the answer to that is no.  It looks like it will be AT LEAST late summer to early fall before it's back in service (and we're all sad about it, too).

Jim--

Another ferroequinologist out chasing trains! www.austinsteamtrain.org
LehighValley107

« Reply #37 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 11:02am »

Thanks for the welcome!

If anyone would like a cabride, do drop me a line beofre coming down, I can arrage one.

Regards,
Christopher W. Barany

"The route of The Black Diamond"

MH765
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 4:35pm »

IIRC, in the mid to late '90s, I got 3 cabrides on the North Shore Railroad in central PA. I've known the engineer, he's my cousin!

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 5:11pm »

i got a cab ride on a Great Smoky Mountains RR dinner train by just chasing it for 10 miles right before it got dark.    When we were pacing right next to the engine the brakeman yelled out the cab window if I wanted a cab ride on the way back to dillsboro.  My dad drove back while I rode in the cab. The train had to be kept at a steady slow speed, and when the engineer let me run the train for a while, I had to move from notch 1 to 2 and back and forth to keep speed, and sometimes I would have to apply the brakes or blow the horn at crossing.  
          The engine was a fmr. UP GP7 ,# 711 on the GSMR, and we were running long hood forward.  It was great!  

Ive also been on another occasion,  the morning of the cab ride, invited into the cab of GSMR GP9 1751.   The geeps of the GSMR are not just used for passenger trains also, they also handle freight service for the railroad, and this gives the feelign when you go up into the cab that this is a working engine, not just a tourist engine, but does the job it was meant for all along.  

Just on a side note, the GSMRs locomotives include two GP7s, nos. 711 and 777 ;  
 two GP9s, nos. 1751 and 1755 ; and two 2-8-0 consolidations, nos. 1702 ( fmr. US Army, class S160 ) , and 722 ( fmr. Southern Ry. KS1 class )

Cy.... 8

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2004, 5:20pm by Southern Green » Logged

Go Braves!

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »