Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 7:59pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Getting a cabride
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   Getting a cabride
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Getting a cabride  (Read 2539 times)
CSX789
TRAINing
Getting a cabride

« on: Jul 30th, 2003, 4:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

On BNSF tracks, i went to the fuelrack on the red river sub and got pics inside a sd 70mac . How can i get a cabe ride without breaking rr rules?

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Getting a cabride

« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 4:12pm »

Hi,

While there is no tried and true formula for getting invited to ride in the cab, steamer or diesel, generally all you need to do is turn on the charm and be nice and polite. It has worked for me in the past.  

Also, it is a good idea to ask the fellow that has the authority to give you the invitation. Don't fool with the fellow that can't help you. I usually start with the Engineman directly. So far my requests have been limited to Steamers.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 7:50pm »

Good advice Alan, the same has worked for me. I'm still waiting to acheive the holy grail of railfanning, for me atleast---a cab ride up the CSX River Line. Maybe someday.

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 8:01pm »

Always talk to the Conductor i will let you in

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2003, 8:11pm by BNSF_1088 » Logged

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Two23
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 12:04am »

I've found it easier to get to know employees on short lines, develop a rapport, and take it from there.

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 11:54am »

Your right Kent if you can find some small yard where there isn't a lot of MGT around you have a chance.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 12:36pm »

Hi All,

Interesting points, however you can extend that to class A RR's, let alone short lines.

I used to "hang out" at the Sunnyside yards of the PRR, now Amtrak, and got invited on board many a GG-1, including cabrides. After a while I was on first name basis with several of the Engineman, and a few conductors. By the way, the conductor is always the boss on a moving train. He is the top cat. A good man to know for a cabride.

NathBDP
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 6:33pm »

I operated a GP-7 in 1992 when I was 9 and it wasn't that great. *grin*  

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2003, 6:33pm by NathBDP » Logged

..all train compartments smell
vaguely of crap. It gets so you
don't mind it. That's the worst
thing that I can confess. You know
how long it took me to get there?
A long time.
ErieLackawannaC425
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Aug 1st, 2003, 8:13pm »

I was watching a crew do some switching on the Delaware Lackawanna down in Scranton PA. and was talking to the engineer while he was waiting on his brakie to lace up his train, and he invited me up into the cab and let me ride along while they finished up.

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10th, 2003, 7:21pm »

When I was 13-14 years old in the early 90's (91-92), I used to hang out along the SP's Cal-P in Fairfield-Suisun CA quite often and wait for the local to come by every day. I got many many cab rides from them and they would even talk to me on the scanner when they saw me. After a couple of years knowing the regular crew, I was able to ride along further and further distances with them, sometimes even riding for 8-10 hours. God, was that great! I even got to ride from Suisun to Lombard Jct. (near Napa) once, and was promised a ride down the Vallejo branch to Vallejo. Unfortunately, the engineer passed away about 2 weeks after that of a heart attack (I will never forget him ), and I never made that trip when it was still the SP. A few years later, after the California Northern took over operations of those lines along with the south end of the NWP, I finally got my wish. I called the general offices and spoke with an official and asked if I could take a ride on the Vallejo branch and told him my reasoning behind it. He gladly obliged and I rode the train for 10 hours a couple days later.  

During that time, I also rode in the cab of freights on the McCloud River Railroad several times. Before my first visit there, I called the President of the railroad and said I would be up that way and would like a cab ride. He also gladly obliged and said to come on up. When I got up there a few days later, he and everyone else there treated me like one of their own, and gave me stickers, patches, a timetable, and a rule book. Then he took me over to the shops and gave me the grand tour. The crew came on duty and it was time to go. THat was the first of several trips I took on the McCloud.

Now I am an engineer in western PA, and I could care less about cab rides. I now spend alot of time thinking about how how the hell can I get out of this cab, especially after working for months at a time without a day off, sitting in that chair for 12 hours plus. I still love it, but in a whole different way than when I was a kid.  

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10th, 2003, 10:47pm »

[quote  

Now I am an engineer in western PA, and I could care less about cab rides. I now spend alot of time thinking about how how the hell can I get out of this cab, especially after working for months at a time without a day off, sitting in that chair for 12 hours plus. I still love it, but in a whole different way than when I was a kid.  

[/quote]

Same here

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

RobR
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11th, 2003, 8:18am »

Casey,

Now that you're paid to be in the cab, what is your attitude toward railfans asking you for a ride?

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 7:36pm »

For the most part, I generally don't have a problem with that at all. I have been rewarded many times with beatiful pictures of trains with me in the engineers seat from railfans that I have given rides to, or even just conversated with. I have a few of them framed and hanging on the walls at home . At one time I was that guy (kid) hanging around the local mainline often, and haven't forgotten about that. The crews always treated me good, and I like to do the same.

nkp774
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12th, 2003, 9:09pm »

I used to find by getting to know the crews or just luck I could get cab rides. Growing up on the Nickel Plate, I got to know the regular crew on #6, "The City Of Cleveland". My budy and I would get invited into the cab during station stops and eventually got cab rides. [PA'S non -the-less.] Another time I was just photographing a TH&B freight, and the engineer invited me along while they switched the yard. [Pt. Colborn,Ont. if I'm not mistaken.] Myfavorite was probably while riding the BC Rail RDC and talking to the conductor. He let me ride in the left hand seat of the RDC going to North Vancover,B.C.,a very scenic ride. At any rate, I find just being polite and not getting in the way probably worked best. I don't know how it works in the days of high security, however.
          Mike

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 10:41am »

Hi All,

Allow me to quote my sainted Grandmother," You can catch more Flies with Honey than you can with vinegar."

Being nice and polite always pays off.

Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 9:52am »

I still want to ride the New River District of CSX in a AC4400
or the NS Pokey in a Dash-9.!! That is two rides I would love to do.

Hey BNSF 1088 I would love to come and see you one of these days.
Maby even get a cab ride. Problem is LA is a long way from WV.

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
CSX789
TRAINing

« Reply #16 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 1:18pm »

In Amarillo , they will let you take cab pictures if rail police isnt around or FRA guys

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 7:54pm »

on Aug 18th, 2003, 1:18pm, CSX789 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
FRA guys

I have seen enough of them for a while

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 7:55pm »

on Aug 14th, 2003, 9:52am, Railroadman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey BNSF 1088 I would love to come and see you one of these days.
Maby even get a cab ride. Problem is LA is a long way from WV.

Come on down  

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:55am »

Wow.  I was chastized by an engineer for asking if I could take a photo of the cab.  He told me that no pictures were allowed since 9/11 and that I shouldn't be taking pictures of the train at all.  This was on the Dallas TRE - a commuter!  I guess a fat white guy taking pictures is more suspicious than the countless unattended boxes in the train.

I have a friend in my MR club who is an on-call engineer for the local short line.  I may talk to him and hit him up for a cab ride, though I don't know how often he ever gets to drive.  I would love to work out some sort of internship (in other words, part time, keeping my current job) and work towards getting my LEC.  Other than completely abandoning my family and 'running away with the circus', I don't see how that's gonna work.

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:55am by VentureForth » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »