Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 18th, 2017, 8:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What do trainmasters do?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   What do trainmasters do?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What do trainmasters do?  (Read 857 times)
RobR
Historian
What do trainmasters do?

« on: Jan 8th, 2003, 12:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Greetings!

I've heard the term "trainmaster", but I don't know what they do.  

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
n01jd1
Historian
Re: What do trainmasters do?

« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:22pm »

on Jan 8th, 2003, 12:18pm, RobR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Greetings!

I've heard the term "trainmaster", but I don't know what they do.  

RobR

They are basically the District Superintendant's toadies. They go out and hide in the bushes to see if crews are violating safety rules and that they are working not sleeping etc etc. Basically a lower level manager.  

Dont take railfanning too seriously. Have fun out there, I know I DO!!
CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 9:31pm »

Thankless job , I like most trainmasters that we have , they come and go often , salary employees , they catch heat from upper management and union employees , frankly I feel sorry for them  

www.thecutline.com
Fred
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 11:55am »

I'm a yardmaster, the trainmaster is my immediate supervisor. if there is a derailment he goes out and cordinates the rerailing with the track dep't and car dep't. He also attends meetings with the customers regarding service problems or potential increases in business. He is the go-between man between the yardmaster & sup't. He also dictates policy regarding crew overtime & establishment of extra jobs. I get along with my trainmaster very well, I'm lucky, he lets me run my operation as I see fit and I wouldn't want his job for all the tea in China!!!

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 8:18pm »

I had a resume in for the job but I wouldn't want it , thankless job   The more I thought about the more I changed my mind  

www.thecutline.com
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Apr 7th, 2003, 3:38pm »

CN5710
I agree with what you say all those long hours that they have put up with.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

jesus
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24th, 2005, 11:55pm »

ride around in trucks all day cracking the whip on train crews.

ShortlineHogger
TRAINing

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25th, 2005, 7:46am »

It truly is a rough job.  They are stuck between management and labor, and take crap from both directions.  It's quite the balancing act, to do what your boss wants, and not upset the men too much in the process, which would most likely prove to be counter-productive.  Long hours, and doing the impossible with limited resources.  A tough job, to be sure.  And, at salary, often, the men you supervise make more than you do, if computed hourly.  The only hope of a trainmaster, is to not have too many problems on your territory, and eventuyally move a little higher up on the foodchain, to higher management.  
TR

big_hack
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 11:22am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

It is truly a thankless job.  Long hours, short offtime and no relief from upper management.  A good Trainmaster lets his men do their work and offers them all athe asistance that he can.  A bad one, lines up the work and then goes and hides and watches the crew, so as to get rule violations.   There's a lot of the latter ones.    

1oldgoat
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 1:11am »

Out on the west end of the BNSF, the attrition rate for TMs is rumored to be 90% within 24 months.  They get these kids out of college who don't know a switchstand from their pecker, run them thru management traing and fill their heads full of crap. ("Don't listen to the employees.  They're lazy theives just want to screw the railroad".)  Then they go out and tell some conductor with 30 years how to do his job when they themselves "couldn't switch their mother out of a string of lady of the evenings".  Of course, the old heads have learned to do what these idiots instruct them (in front of a witness).  Then when it all goes to hell in a handbasket and an investigation is held, the TM looks like the fool he (or she) is.

Railroading is fun!

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20th, 2008, 12:56am »

on Jun 24th, 2005, 11:55pm, jesus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
ride around in trucks all day cracking the whip on train crews.

Pretty accurate I would say  

Also asking us are we ready to go yet ? I can't stand it when my air is coming up slow because the train is 9,000 foot long and it's below freezing outside . It's not like you can just tie on & go  

www.thecutline.com
RRG2

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20th, 2008, 8:52pm »

They were always asking....... "how are you making out" when you are trying to work your train. It is a crappy job they have,calls come at any time day or night for them. Most of em from Conrail had to go running(became engineers) when NS took over.

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
edward
TRAINing

« Reply #12 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 6:48am »

I have seen a lot of them come and go, some were sort of kewel and others were just plain jerk offs on a ego trip, the same goes for RFE.s, the stories i can tell about them would fill a book 10 inches thick,,

This is 1 example,we had 3 big units sd-40,s on the ground buried up to the axels in the yard, The rfe a old head too!!!! He told the wreck master we dont need the wreck derick, ie wreck train,, So he gets another engine out of the engine house and says we can pull them back on with rerail frogs, after 4 hrs of trying this to no avail he finally gave in and ordered the wreck derick, all in the name of saving a few company dollars, I learned very fast in my railroad job to listen what those wreck mastes say, the men in the field know more than any trainmaster or rfe. We do it everyday, they dont. There is a old saying on the railroad, it always looks good on paper to rr officers,, I rest my case.

Captain_Jack
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: May 5th, 2010, 5:30pm »

Most of the trainmasters I worked with were decent guys who were caught in the thankless job of being a liason between agreement employees and middle management. On Conrail, trainmasters were put
in charge of smaller terminals and/or served as assistants to a
terminal superintendent. All reported directly to the division superintendent
and were expected to keep things under their charge running smoothly.
This wasn't always possible if one trainmaster was put in charge of several
yard operations and had people less than competent working under him.
I never worked as a trainmaster, but could have. Not all were engine service employees however as many came from other departments.  
Road foremen were the ones from engine service.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »