Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 7:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What do crews do while waiting for signals?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   What do crews do while waiting for signals?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What do crews do while waiting for signals?  (Read 4932 times)
WA._BNSF_fan
TRAINing
Re: What do crews do while waiting for signals?

« Reply #60 on: Oct 25th, 2008, 7:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

the correct answer should be...hop out the train and let the foamers pose with the train while the crew takes the pics...

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jan 8th, 2009, 5:16pm »

on Oct 25th, 2008, 7:13pm, WA._BNSF_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
the correct answer should be...hop out the train and let the foamers pose with the train while the crew takes the pics...

Ha! I'd like to keep my job, thanks.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
NS_conductor
Historian

« Reply #62 on: May 6th, 2009, 8:36pm »

on Oct 25th, 2008, 7:13pm, WA._BNSF_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Can't do that on NS.Management will have your butt in hot water for that.The weed weasels do like to show up at a stopped train out of nowhere just to see if they can bust a crew.Heard it happen, A train was stopped and about a couple of hours after they stopped, a trainmaster boarded the engine for a rule check.

M.A. Payne
On cable TV they have a weather channel -- 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window.
streamline_j3
Chaser

« Reply #63 on: May 7th, 2009, 9:28am »

Heard from an engineer on another site on lets say it was not pleasent

penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: May 7th, 2009, 1:47pm »

if its on the NS, you use the time to go out into the woods and take a $%^&. Just dont forget your bag to put it in, and dont forget to turn it in.

As for CSX, those cans you hear rolling around on the cab floor aint soda

NS_conductor
Historian

« Reply #65 on: May 7th, 2009, 3:49pm »

on May 7th, 2009, 1:47pm, penn_senseless wrote:       (Click here for original message)
if its on the NS, you use the time to go out into the woods and take a $%^&. Just dont forget your bag to put it in, and dont forget to turn it in.

As for CSX, those cans you hear rolling around on the cab floor aint soda

Actually they have commodes anymore, no more bagging.Heard a story from a guy in Mcdonough GA on how they used to bag it and throw it out the window.

M.A. Payne
On cable TV they have a weather channel -- 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window.
RRG2

« Reply #66 on: May 7th, 2009, 4:54pm »

on May 7th, 2009, 3:49pm, NS_conductor wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Actually they have commodes anymore, no more bagging.Heard a story from a guy in Mcdonough GA on how they used to bag it and throw it out the window.

Do you still pour a bottle af that blue B-B juice down the hopper to make it smell nice?

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
NS_conductor
Historian

« Reply #67 on: May 12th, 2009, 4:01pm »

Actually I havent seen that, usually you walk into one and the smell is just horrible.Half the time from my experience when they go for servicing they forget to clean the commode.Been on a few where the commodes were full.Because they were too lazy to empty and clean

M.A. Payne
RRG2

« Reply #68 on: May 12th, 2009, 9:15pm »

Oh yeah, the SMELL on a hot summer day,esp.with a non A/C unit.  All part of the GLORY of railroading the Foamer/ Buffs will never know.

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #69 on: May 13th, 2009, 11:54am »

on May 12th, 2009, 9:15pm, RRG2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Oh yeah, the SMELL on a hot summer day,esp.with a non A/C unit.  All part of the GLORY of railroading the Foamer/ Buffs will never know.

HaHa!

Yeah,  You mustn't burst their bubble!   They think it is all "high iron" (whatever the heck THAT is), steam choo choos, and "driving" a train! ( I always wondered how you do that considering there is no steering wheel!  It's all "romance of the rails" and starry-eyed stories in magazines where it's all fun and games.  And Heaven forbid there might be WORK in it!!!!    It's all about them trains; they read it in the latest "Selected Railroad Reading", and no one would dream there might be someone who had to clean toilets and scrub offices, or weld up Track Brooms or Tampers!  A few weeks of REAL railroad work on a Surfacing Gang would change a few minds about railroading.    LMAO!!!!

Gadfly

RRG2

« Reply #70 on: May 13th, 2009, 12:33pm »

Yeah,those track guys,we used to see them hard at work,on the so called "high iron" always thought we had it soft compaired to them. One day we did get to eat with them on a track gang camp train. We were well fed that day........

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #71 on: May 13th, 2009, 1:05pm »

Gangs do eat pretty well!  I used to see their camp trailers/kitchen cars come in for refurb. I don't think, from the look of 'em, they missed many meals.   But sweat?  Plenty of that out there. "High Iron"?  In all my years out there on NS, I never knew what was so  high iron about it.  Just a bunch of rails to me!

It always seemed that all the buffs thought about was trains and engines.  They wouldn't DREAM that was so much MORE to railroading than just that!  Would't even THINK of working on a Gang or in a shop, or, perhaps, as a Signal Maintainer.
Couldn't IMAGINE working in a shop facility as a car peck or a machinist!    "I jist GOTTA 'drive' a train!!!!!!!!"

(hmmmm, lessee-----shop employee!  Works a regular shift--maybe even DAYLIGHT hours!  Might even get weekends OFF if he's lucky enough to work at certain shops.  My my!  I'd take that!!!!!!!!!!      )

Gadfly

rmgill
Chaser

« Reply #72 on: Jan 10th, 2010, 11:59am »

Hey Gadfly, you could always work in a small box, in a larger box, lit with humming florescent lights, face in front of a computer for 10 hours a day, never going anywhere, never seeing different scenery. Just pushing paper and electrons around as paper.  

I'm probably one of those foamers. I've looked at various professions, seen that they'd be interesting to a point and not always very enjoyable. Money is money however. In my case I get to work at a major media company in a small box that is luckily lit with natural sunlight (I'm close to the window! ) and I overlook the CSX NS Wye in Downtown Atlanta. Life would only be better if I was overlooking the NS/CSX interlocking at Hulsey.    What I do find interesting about the train rides I've taken is the glimpses of history that rail represent. For Atlanta, especially, the RR's were it's life blood. That sort of thing is interesting to me, but then I'm a nut for history, whether it's WWII, trains or other history.  

As to those long boring rides, having driven my M35, long distance, with austere conditions in the cab, by myself for trips to PA from Atlanta. Thus I have an idea of the drudgery that both truckers AND trainmen go through. You can keep it. I prefer my Aaron Chair and big multi panel LCD display (4!), fresh coffee, cute office birds and the chance to go do my business in a nice, clean, air conditioned bathroom as the need strikes.    

KingCoal
Historian

« Reply #73 on: Jan 20th, 2010, 2:33pm »

on Jan 10th, 2010, 11:59am, rmgill wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Gadfly, you could always work in a small box, in a larger box, lit with humming florescent lights, face in front of a computer for 10 hours a day, never going anywhere, never seeing different scenery. Just pushing paper and electrons around as paper.  

I'm probably one of those foamers. I've looked at various professions, seen that they'd be interesting to a point and not always very enjoyable. Money is money however. In my case I get to work at a major media company in a small box that is luckily lit with natural sunlight (I'm close to the window! ) and I overlook the CSX NS Wye in Downtown Atlanta. Life would only be better if I was overlooking the NS/CSX interlocking at Hulsey.    What I do find interesting about the train rides I've taken is the glimpses of history that rail represent. For Atlanta, especially, the RR's were it's life blood. That sort of thing is interesting to me, but then I'm a nut for history, whether it's WWII, trains or other history.  

As to those long boring rides, having driven my M35, long distance, with austere conditions in the cab, by myself for trips to PA from Atlanta. Thus I have an idea of the drudgery that both truckers AND trainmen go through. You can keep it. I prefer my Aaron Chair and big multi panel LCD display (4!), fresh coffee, cute office birds and the chance to go do my business in a nice, clean, air conditioned bathroom as the need strikes.    

Well put.....................
It is well to appreciate the difference between "wants and needs".

RETIRED
"A busy Mainline and a trout stream beside it"
paradise !
XBNSFer
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Mar 9th, 2010, 10:32pm »

on May 12th, 2009, 9:15pm, RRG2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Even better when some wise-a$$ turns the sideboard heaters up to full blast on a scorching July day and closes all the windows...

"I'm with ya Manny...I'm with ya till the wheels come off" - Eric Roberts, "Runaway Train"
Captain_Jack
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #75 on: May 5th, 2010, 6:02pm »

Well, years ago when we couldn't get into Enola Yard (Conrail),
we used to go down over the hill to Sam's house and have bacon, eggs and taters. Sam was another hoghead and liked to take care of his friends
whom he knew might have to wait another two or three hours for a meal.

Once back in the 1980s I was on a light power move Enola to Bayview
Yard which took us down the Port Road Branch along the Susquehanna
River. My female brakeman and I got stuck behind a train in trouble and
we were told by the dispatcher we might be there for several hours. It was
a real humid night, so after a half hour or so, I called the dispatcher and told him we would be off the power for a little bit to check on something
if he wasn't going to move us. After learning we would be there for at
least another hour, my brakeman suggested we take a dip in the river to cool off since it was pretty unbearable on the engine. Although a violation of umpteen or more operating and safety rules, we both went skinny-dipping and felt a lot better afterward. (No, nothing else happened.....we just went for a swim.)

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Sale_Ads.jpg - 68914 Bytes
« Reply #76 on: May 11th, 2010, 12:52am »

Check the sales ads.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Railroading/Sale_Ads.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
rdc_jay
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: May 14th, 2010, 12:40pm »

on Jan 10th, 2010, 11:59am, rmgill wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ha!  Yeah I fly one of those 9 sq. ft. artificially lit canned air boxes.  Given my druthers I'd rather work outside in natural light and fresh air.  Perhaps our office john doesn't stink like a chemical toilet but then again I've worked in some offices that had toilets dirtier than those found in most gas stations where you had to bring your own paper (yep).  And I always know when the sales guys have had a big night out.  Ah well, too late to change careers now and I will admit that I've grown used to having weekends and holidays off.  But my work stories aren't nearly as colorful.  I guess it's all about trade offs.

Alco's four strokes: suck, squeeze, bang, and blow!

Member: RCT&HS, RGM&HS, SFRM&HS
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #78 on: May 14th, 2010, 8:17pm »

on May 13th, 2009, 11:54am, Gadfly wrote:       (Click here for original message)

HaHa!

Yeah,  You mustn't burst their bubble!   They think it is all "high iron" (whatever the heck THAT is), steam choo choos, and "driving" a train! ( I always wondered how you do that considering there is no steering wheel!  It's all "romance of the rails" and starry-eyed stories in magazines where it's all fun and games.  And Heaven forbid there might be WORK in it!!!!    It's all about them trains; they read it in the latest "Selected Railroad Reading", and no one would dream there might be someone who had to clean toilets and scrub offices, or weld up Track Brooms or Tampers!  A few weeks of REAL railroad work on a Surfacing Gang would change a few minds about railroading.    LMAO!!!!

Gadfly

Years ago when working in a Assistant Engineer offce, well office was a misnomer, as most of the days we were out surveying, my job title was Junior Engineer, and I was constantly explaining, NO, I do not drive trains.  I have to make sure I have an escape plan when the train comes by.  (What is it about railroad right of ways that makes them grow plants with thorns as their primary form of vegatation?)

Try to explain to someone that you design track.  There first response seems to be, Wasn't all that stuff done 100 years ago?  Simple answer:  No.  Let's see:  what rail section are we going to use?  You mean there is more than one?  Yes, for starters, 141RE, 136RE, currently with an 8 inch crown, formerly with a 10 inch crown, and originally with a 14 inch crown, and don't forget the CN version (are they still using it) with a 4 inch crown., and then there is the old 136LV.  Then try that 140RE and 140PS are the same in shape, but 130RE and 130PS are not.  And many more, mostly lighter.  And, how about such stuff as the 100ARA-B used by NYCTA, as one of severaly 100 lb/yd shapes, just 100RE, 100ASCE, 100ARA-A for starters.  There are more.  For added confusion, go outside the country:  In 60 kg/m sections almost exactly 120 lb/yd, and frequently with the units converted wrong, we have 60E1, formerly known as UIC60 and 60E2 in Europe, Then there is the South African 60, Chinese 60, Japanese 60, and Australian 60, all weighing about 60 kg/m and all slightly different from each other.  

Let's go down from there (literally) using wood ties?  What size, what treatment, what species of wood, what spacing in track.  Using concrete ties?  dimensions, reinforcing type and placement, fastener type, spacing in track, etc.  Ballast, gradation and rock, then how deep.

Then if on concrete there are several types:  are we using Sonneville's LVT, DF fasteners on plinth, plinth concrete and reinforcing, precast segment slabs (Shinkansen type) and on and on.  

And you had better think long and hard about how easy stuff is to build and maintain.  There is a lot of evidence out there, particularly in some of the foreign designs that this easy to build and maintain has not been considered.  things like sharp instead of rounded switch points, no chamfers on guard rails, lots of bolts to keep tight and pieces needing adjustment.  KISS folks, don't forget KISS.

And, we haven't even got out of the office yet.  (Well we better have, so we can see how any of these wonderful things are working.)

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #79 on: May 15th, 2010, 9:44am »

George -  

LOL! Delighted with your dark humor laden, reality check of how it really is! Observations only done by a seasoned hand at it! This  
doesn't resemble a light hearted, naive TV sitcom or movie about the railroad business...

As more of my years as a "highwayman" player, anyone wish to hear of the perverse behavior of negotiation with a Cummins Diesel?  
On a cold winter's morn, and discussion of the issue whether it cares to start for the day?

.....................Vern...................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »