Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 7:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What do crews do while waiting for signals?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   What do crews do while waiting for signals?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What do crews do while waiting for signals?  (Read 4930 times)
Gadfly
Railfan
Re: What do crews do while waiting for signals?

« Reply #40 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 10:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Aug 17th, 2004, 5:51pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well now, there are crews and then there are crews. Some are braver than others.

When Southern Pacific was alive and well, they came through Pomona on a regular basis. This one day, a long freight was in the hole, waiting. A fella and I started talking to the Engineman, and he invited us up into the Cab. We had a great chat going when the brakeman mentioned that it was lunchtime and what would they do for lunch. I told them that near the end of their train, across the mainline tracks, there was a great bar and grill, called the Texas Saloon. You could have a great lunch there. The only problem was that the end of the train was more than a mile back there, but there was the Potlatch paper company's siding there, so that is where the engineman ordered the brakeman to cut off the lead engine. We all ran back in the engine to the siding, got into the siding, and walked from the engine to the Texas Saloon. After a great lunch and conversation, we all piled back into the engine, ran back to the head of the train and coupled up. About 15 minutes later they got their green light, and were able to continue on with their trip. Great lunch, great conversation, and interesting cab ride in an SP SD-40-2T.

I'm assuming this was with the dispatcher's approval?   If not,  and he signed you ahead, and you didn't clear the block, what then?

Gadfly

D._E._Jones
TRAINing

« Reply #41 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 1:07am »

Heck, they read their rule book. Everyone knows that!

D. E. Jones

Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #42 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 3:49pm »

On CN when you are in the siding, the conductor is to get out and walk as much of his/her train as possible and be back to the head end before the last train to meet arrives.

gp80mac
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 5:42pm »

What Are you serious??  So a conductor is supposed to walk his 150 car train every time he is stopped?  That is really dumb.  1st - there's no reason to walk a train if nothing is wrong.  2nd, ground conditions suck near the tracks.  3rd, you will be worn out when something of real value happens.   4th, what happens when the 2 of 3rd train has passed and the disp decies to run you?  "sorry, my conductor is 100 cars away..."

on Dec 17th, 2007, 3:49pm, Chris_de_Vries wrote:       (Click here for original message)
On CN when you are in the siding, the conductor is to get out and walk as much of his/her train as possible and be back to the head end before the last train to meet arrives.

~ gp80mac ~

All of my posts are my opinion ONLY, and do not reflect the opinion of any company, railroad, organization, or other person.
Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #44 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 1:32pm »

All very good points. On the territory where I work, you barely ever have time to walk your train. The best way is to drop off somewhere in the siding, roll by one side and walk up the other.

It's a CN system rule. It is extremely stupid.  

The rule also says you are supposed to contact the dispatcher to see how long you will be there. There were a few days where they were really clamping down on conductors inspecting their own trains.

The dispatcher told us, she's a VERY friendly and polite dispatcher, I don't have time to be telling crews every 5 minutes that they are going to be there for such and such. She was ripping on management over the radio. Quite amusing.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 2:26am »

on Jan 7th, 2008, 5:42pm, gp80mac wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What Are you serious??  So a conductor is supposed to walk his 150 car train every time he is stopped?  That is really dumb.  1st - there's no reason to walk a train if nothing is wrong.  2nd, ground conditions suck near the tracks.  3rd, you will be worn out when something of real value happens.   4th, what happens when the 2 of 3rd train has passed and the disp decies to run you?  "sorry, my conductor is 100 cars away..."

Yep, in single track territory the conductor is to walk his train when stopped for a meet, but you also have to do a rollby of the passing train.  I have not yet had the time to do a walking inspection when stopped for a meet. Don't have to walk your train in double or multitrack territory.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 3:37am »

Still have you guys looking for Osama?

Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #47 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 4:45pm »

CN's mentality has gotten to the point where you had better be out there walking regardless of how long you are waiting.  
If you only have time to walk back 10 cars and then head back up to the head up, you'd best be walking those first 10 cars.

Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #48 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 4:53pm »

CROR Rule 111 e) (CN special rule added to the CROR)

In single track territory, when stopped for a meet with another train, the conductor of the first train to arrive  at the meeting point will arrange for a walking inpsection of train, or as much of the train as time and conditions permit.

Ken V
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 1:55am »

To get technical about it, the Railway Association of Canada has this to say: Quote:
111. TRAIN AND TRANSFER INSPECTION
(a) The crew must know that equipment in their train or transfer is in good order
before starting and inspect it whenever they have an opportunity to do so.
Equipment added to a train or transfer en route must be inspected with extra
care to ensure it is in good order.
(b) When crew members are on the rear of a moving train or transfer they must
inspect, at every opportunity, the track to the rear for evidence of dragging or
derailed equipment.
(c) All crew members on a moving train or transfer must make frequent
inspections of both sides to ensure that it is in order.
(d) On completion of crew-planned inspections and at locations where inspection
is required by special instructions, crew members will, when possible, voice
communicate to each other the results of such inspections.
(e) OPTIONAL: The conductor first arriving at a meeting point will arrange for a
walking inspection of their freight train or transfer, inspecting as much as time
and conditions permit.

Note the word optional preceeding 111(e)... I guess this how CN can make it a company-wide policy without other railroads having to do the same.

If anyone cares to read it, the latest CROR is at http://www.railcan.ca/documents/rules/1684/2008_03_19_CROR_TCO_093_en.pdf

They looked in the future and what did they see? They saw an iron road running from the sea to the sea
-- Gordon Lightfoot (Canadian Railroad Trilogy)
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 9:36am »

Most of the "optional" rules could just as well be called "cn amendments"

Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #51 on: May 3rd, 2008, 6:04pm »

CN has removed the word optional from their rule book and has made in mandatory.

One must realize that there are MANY CROR rules that CN does not use, and there are MAAANY that CN has changed to their liking and has added more to.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: May 3rd, 2008, 9:02pm »

This is the official word on optional rules
from inside front cover of RAC version

The official version of the CROR, in its entirety, applies to all railway companies.
Certain railway companies may not, as a practical matter, perform each and
every activity that the CROR governs. In this case, for greater employee clarity,
the railway company's rule book must contain the rules that govern activities they
do perform.
The following OPTIONAL rules are included in the CROR: 11(c), 104.2(c), 108,
111(e), 120(b), 132(f), 135 note, 314, 439 optional, 849 (c), 567.2, 577, 577.1,
618.1, 862.1 and 863.1.
When used by a railway, they will not indicate the word “OPTIONAL” in that
company’s version of the CROR.
It is optional to print the CROR and Protection of Track Units and Track Work
together as one book or separately as CROR book 1 and CROR book 2.

G23
TRAINing

« Reply #53 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 12:16pm »

Usually I bring things to read, and I have a sony psp to play too if I get really bored.  If you know ahead of time that you're going to be stopped for a while you can stop short (sometimes) and get something to eat at a nearby restaurant or gas station.  

If you're tired, a good time killer is to sleep!  And there's quite a bit of that going on    If you're not tired, it's good to walk around if you're in a spot where you can walk pretty good, but down in the middle of BFE, deep in the woods, a lot of times getting out and walking probably isn't the best idea (rattlesnakes!).

Just the other day we had about six hours of delay.  Yeah it was boring, but whatever, it's part of the job and it usually isn't like that.

NS Conductor
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #54 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 11:20pm »

LOOK OUT!  Watch out for them SNAKES!!!!  

As we all know, there's rules against horseplay on  railroads (as well as other industries).  But it happens anyways while the bosses aren't lookin'.    One day, I was filling some pick list orders for the pump knockers  and rail gangs that came in on Fridays.  Hydraulic cylinders, pumps, motors, gadgets, vibrator assemblies (Tampers) and that sort of thing.   One of my co-workers had gone out to one of the pump trucks (as much to shoot the breeze as anything), and one of the guys handed him a small carton.  This wasn't all that unusual as the gang guys would bring stuff back in cartons to keep the stuff together.  All of a sudden, my co-worker SCREAMED bloody murder and uttered some things we won't repeat here!.  Being inside the storehouse, I couldn't see what was happening, but I could also hear the boys giggling and laughing.  And I'm wondering what in the world just happened!    I rushed outside to find that one of the gang had caught a large black snake and put it in the box.  My buddy didn't pay a whole lot of attention and held the box for awhile and finally opened it and this snake lept out of the box at him!    It scared the..................... (well, you know) out of him!!!!!!!!!!

Gadfly

JSB
TRAINing

« Reply #55 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 11:20pm »

All depends in my case(who my engineer was) if it's a U.P. Geek then sit and read maybe get something to eat , talk on the cell phone. If it was a good ol hillbilly, hell raisin ex southern pacific engineer.  Well thats classified but good times brotha.  I am no longer with U.P. but my best times by far were with ex S.P. guys.

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #56 on: Sep 20th, 2008, 12:52am »

I eat my lunch , relax my eyes , or read the paper !  

www.thecutline.com
Chris_de_Vries
Chaser

« Reply #57 on: Sep 24th, 2008, 7:48pm »

No cell phones, no reading material of any kind what so ever - unless it pertains to your job at hand, no closing your eyes and no MP3 players/PSP's/Radio's.

Makes for a heck of a long trip when you follow those rules.

The_Rat
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Sep 24th, 2008, 8:10pm »

Stop well short of the signal and go get ice cream at a trackside stand.

The Rat

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #59 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 3:09am »

on Sep 24th, 2008, 7:48pm, Chris_de_Vries wrote:       (Click here for original message)
No cell phones, no reading material of any kind what so ever - unless it pertains to your job at hand, no closing your eyes and no MP3 players/PSP's/Radio's.

Makes for a heck of a long trip when you follow those rules.

Yeah right  

www.thecutline.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »