Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 4:41pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What do crews do while waiting for signals?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   What do crews do while waiting for signals?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What do crews do while waiting for signals?  (Read 4948 times)
NJ Railfan
Historian
Re: What do crews do while waiting for signals?

« Reply #20 on: Feb 18th, 2003, 3:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It's funny you say "frustrating" from a railfan point of view. Imagine what the UP personell must have been feeling!

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Feb 18th, 2003, 4:26pm »

on Feb 18th, 2003, 3:43pm, NJ Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's funny you say "frustrating" from a railfan point of view. Imagine what the UP personell must have been feeling!

Believe me, NJ, we got an earful of their frustration, anger and wounded pride at that crossing, and the exasperation coming over the radio darn near melted my scanner.  -Bob

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Apr 7th, 2003, 1:19pm »

I eat & walk around and do my paper work i can't do when were moving  

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Aug 13th, 2004, 4:14pm »

"Got a red at Holgate.  And we set there, and set there, and set there.  Finally a 94 goes by, and we were there another 15 minutes before we got the clear."

Actual quote from my dad, retired brakeman.

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
XBNSFer
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Aug 13th, 2004, 11:40pm »

Quote:
I eat & walk around and do my paper work i can't do when were moving

Good answer - you wouldn't be "reading" (except for your rule book, paperwork, etc.) or "making cell phone calls," as mentioned by CN5710, since on the BNSF that would be a rule violation...

"I'm with ya Manny...I'm with ya till the wheels come off" - Eric Roberts, "Runaway Train"
nfshotrod
TRAINing

« Reply #25 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 11:47am »

I usually set up water bottles and shoot my sling shot at them if there is daylight, at night I rest.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Aug 17th, 2004, 5:51pm »

Well now, there are crews and then there are crews. Some are braver than others.

When Southern Pacific was alive and well, they came through Pomona on a regular basis. This one day, a long freight was in the hole, waiting. A fella and I started talking to the Engineman, and he invited us up into the Cab. We had a great chat going when the brakeman mentioned that it was lunchtime and what would they do for lunch. I told them that near the end of their train, across the mainline tracks, there was a great bar and grill, called the Texas Saloon. You could have a great lunch there. The only problem was that the end of the train was more than a mile back there, but there was the Potlatch paper company's siding there, so that is where the engineman ordered the brakeman to cut off the lead engine. We all ran back in the engine to the siding, got into the siding, and walked from the engine to the Texas Saloon. After a great lunch and conversation, we all piled back into the engine, ran back to the head of the train and coupled up. About 15 minutes later they got their green light, and were able to continue on with their trip. Great lunch, great conversation, and interesting cab ride in an SP SD-40-2T.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
jesus
TRAINing

« Reply #27 on: Jun 24th, 2005, 11:47pm »

sleep

VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 1:09am »

on Feb 17th, 2003, 3:32pm, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
During that awful period, with so many trainmen reporting to their trains just to sit still and outlaw, there must have been some mighty creative "waiting" going on.

-Bob

ROFLOL!  As I read that, I pictured a locomotive engineer getting out of his train and holding up a bandit on a horse.

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 1:33am »

Hi all -  

I live near some unsignaled territory on CSX near Matthews, NC. The line's not all that heavily traveled. (10 -15 trains per 24 hrs. AT BEST ). Just before this line (coming from Charlotte) intersects with the Monroe Sub at Monroe, there is a gas station situated right beside the tracks, and I've seen a couple of times trains stop on the mainline, with permission from the Monroe Yard dispatcher, and the conductor go in a pick up coffee and some doughnuts for him and the the rest of his crew.

Cy

Go Braves!

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 2:33pm »

This is a pretty interesting duscussion, and brings back a favorite memory of my Dad's. In Bonner Springs Kansas, EB UP trains often stop across the road from a Dairy Queen if they aren't going to be accepted at the Kansas City KS yards, which led to this converstation

Dad: I wonder if train crews ever go to that Dairy Queen?
Ken (8 years old): Don't be silly, of course they don't!

At that moment, a train pulls up to a stop, the crew gets out, and they go to Dairy Queen! LOL!  

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

ABQBNSFConductor
Chaser

« Reply #31 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 8:15pm »

HA HA I used to bone this chick that lived by that Dairy Queen in Boner Springs when I lived in KS, When I get stopped at a signal, or cant get a track warrant, I usually  

1. Listen to music on my palm
2. SMoke some cigarettes
3. Look at stuff through my binoculars expecially hot women when we are stopped along parks and stuff, nothign better than seeing MILF's at work!!!!!
3. Talk on the phone
4. Walk Around
5. Fill out my delay report when I feel like it....
6. Sleep
7. Other things

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 6:26pm »

I've railfanned in a few places where the crew is waiting for the green signal, especially my birthplace of Elmira, NY.  NS, CP and (before '99) CR crews that wait there have usually been willing to climb out of the cab and talk to me.  In fact, I got a cab ride out of the local (WEGC-10?) 10 years ago when I walked up to them while their trains were waiting to enter the mainline.  

I'm sure this may surprise some of you, since the ex-Erie tracks are often considered to be little more than a steel graveyard.   However, the Southern Tier Mainline still hosts a dozen or so trains per day between NS, CN and CP, so some meets are possible.  The most recent one that I've seen was about a year ago or so.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Jim-Go
Railfan

« Reply #33 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 5:36pm »

on Dec 31st, 2002, 10:51pm, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Another spot where crews routinely drop off and go to beans is Cove, PA, just up US-11 from Enola.  The DeCoven Diner there serves good down-home food -  try the sausage-and-biscuits!  Right across the street is a large parking lot that's still a pretty good spot to watch Amtrak & NS - if you don't show up just in time for a lull.

Bob

Strangley enough, last month we were driving back to DC on I-81, going southbound, and as we were crossing the Susquehanna River, I just happened to glance to my right, and saw an entire train parked on the Rockville Bridge!  Maybe then you could get out the rod and reel and get some trout!

HenryJ
TRAINing

« Reply #34 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 9:48am »

Some crews bring a DVD Player,and watch movies...
 HenryJ

If it ani't worth looking for? It ani't worth Having
prostock19
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 8:43pm »

I'll use my sidekick (cell phone) and play games or search the net if I have signals.  I have a few games on their, too, if I have no signals.

razor
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:00am »

We take a nap....errr I mean we have a "safety briefing".

-r

Mr. Horsepower
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 6:39pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:00am, razor wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We take a nap....errr I mean we have a "safety briefing".

-r

AMEN BROTHER!

-JRS

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now." - The Blues Brothers
NS_conductor
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 7:46pm »

I have been held waiting at a signal for 7 hours before waiting on 5 westbounds.Depeneding on where you are you can always go grap a bite to eat.But we were in the middle of nowhere.So i got out of the cab stretched my legs quite often.Seing that if both of us fell asleep that would have been bad news if a trainmaster would have boarded us.But mostly crews take a big bag of lunch just for that reason.Me i had several gig breaks.Me I had to stay awake.As I had to perform that dang rule GR-9 inspection on those 5 westbounds.Seeing that the trainmaster and road foremen was out along the line somewhere that particular night.I really didnt want any unwanted attention.But yeah they read make calls, call other crews on the line thats stopped, sleep if they are really tired, which is not uncommon.Me if I saw a railfan I would climb down and have a good conversation.That was the best part of being held at a signal!

M.A. Payne
On cable TV they have a weather channel -- 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window.
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #39 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 10:24pm »

on Dec 24th, 2002, 7:53am, NathBDP wrote:       (Click here for original message)
be bored?

They wait for the "bored" to clear.  

(sorry--couldn't resist!)

Gadfly

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »