Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 18th, 2017, 12:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What do crews do while waiting for signals?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroading
(Moderators: CN5710, RobR)
   What do crews do while waiting for signals?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What do crews do while waiting for signals?  (Read 4927 times)
rdc_jay
Historian
View Profile  

Re: What do crews do while waiting for signals?

« Reply #80 on: May 16th, 2010, 6:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

LOL.  I'm amazed at how much less cranky today's diesels are than those of yesterday.  My company vehicle has a diesel and I was dreading it.  But even when it got down to the teens this past winter she actually turned over without having to wait forever for the glow worm to warm up.

My favorite railroad story (not mine obviously) was when LV demoed some U-boats back in the day.  The demo units were to be delivered to PRR and had some newfangled electric toilet than burned what was deposited so that just a small amount of ash remained.  The LV crew didn't know this and one went to use the facility.  The stink was apparently rather pronounced shall we say and the GE rep got an earful about how miserable such a toilet is.  I wonder how long they lasted on the PRR before they were replaced?

Alco's four strokes: suck, squeeze, bang, and blow!

Member: RCT&HS, RGM&HS, SFRM&HS
Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #81 on: May 16th, 2010, 7:54pm »

How about working MW in North Dakota at temps around -42 degrees before factoring in the 15 mph winds. One day even with the trucks plugged in all night, they still wouldn't start in the morning. Had to get turboheaters under the engine blocks to get them to crank... then we get trackside and the equipment wouldn't start... tried to fire up the welder so we could plug in the turboheaters again, and the welder was frozen solid. After 4 hours of not accomplishing anything, we gave up.  

Another golden day in railroading... another -40 degree day in paradise, crawling under a piece of on track equipment to service it, on a grain elevator side track. The rotten soybeans and other nasty stuff in the gauge got smeared all over my Carhartt, with the consistency of melted marshmallows!!!!!!!! Only 10 more hours to go...

MW isn't just cruising around in a hi-railer, although we do occasionally have a do-nothing day.  

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
DODX
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #82 on: Jan 3rd, 2013, 8:20pm »

I once say a NS crew stop their SD40-2 at a signal and eat at a trackside diner called Tony's.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #83 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 2:03pm »

Yep.........that's not totally uncommon. Sometimes those guys could sit there for a few hours while waiting for traffic to clear or track-work, etc. Dispatcher gives them an idea of how long they will be "in the hole."

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

NWClassJ
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Jan 16th, 2013, 6:13am »

When I was with UP I can recall many hours spent reading, eating and walking around.  It would take hours to get in to Proviso some days.

The N&W..home of the J's
Well done Roanoke...well done.
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #85 on: Jan 16th, 2013, 5:53pm »

on Jan 16th, 2013, 6:13am, NWClassJ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When I was with UP I can recall many hours spent reading, eating and walking around.  It would take hours to get in to Proviso some days.

When I was a clerk, I worked as a Porter on 3rd trick sometimes.  They'd tell me to go pick up the crew out of Columbia, SC, and I could sit there as long as an hour and a half.  Especially if the train stalled  in the lead to Hayne Yard, SC, (which was pretty common).  They didn't WANT me to move, or do something else while the crew was 'stuck'. So I'd sit there next to the Spartanburg County Fairgrounds---dozing, eating, reading, and looking out for any suspicious characters that might approach at 3 AM.

GF

ch8ch
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #86 on: Dec 4th, 2016, 8:14am »

If there's a bar nearby they go for a 6 pack...the D&H used to do that all the time

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #87 on: Dec 4th, 2016, 1:39pm »

on Dec 4th, 2016, 8:14am, ch8ch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If there's a bar nearby they go for a 6 pack...the D&H used to do that all the time
On many roads that would be the fastest possible route to unemployment.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »