Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 18th, 2017, 11:19am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

M&E in action on RVRR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Rahway Valley
(Moderator: Henry)
   M&E in action on RVRR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: M&E in action on RVRR  (Read 369 times)
forsberg11jn
TRAINing
M&E in action on RVRR
  009a.jpg - 118382 Bytes
« on: Jan 25th, 2010, 11:39am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Just about every Sunday morning, the M&E makes a transfer run from Bayway to just short of Cranford Junction to drop-off or pickup a string of hoppers from storage.  The hoppers are stored on both tracks between Amsterdam ave and First Ave (South Ave in Cranford).  Depending on how many hoppers are being stored they sometimes spill over to a storage track running along NJT's Raritan Valley line

Yesterday's action required two round trips from Bayway with SW1500 #20 pushing about 15 hoppers per trip from Bayway to Roselle and returning empty handed each time.  

The crossing signals w/ gates have been completely replaced & functional at the St. Georges crossing.  The signals are also functional Chestnut street and 1st ave.  The train stops at the Wheatsheaf, 9th ave, Pine street, and Amsterdam crossing as those signals have not been replaced yet.

First of 3 pics of the M&E run yesterday.  The photos were taken at the 9th ave crossing in Roselle with #20 heading towards Bayway.

Sorry for the poor positioning of the photos as I was scrambling to grab the camera when I noticed the train coming through.  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (118382 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 009a.jpg - 118382 Bytes

forsberg11jn
TRAINing
Re: M&E in action on RVRR
  011a.jpg - 171130 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25th, 2010, 11:40am »

Pic # 2 of 3

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (171130 bytes, 1024x1365 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 011a.jpg - 171130 Bytes

forsberg11jn
TRAINing
  014a.jpg - 177758 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25th, 2010, 11:41am »

Pic #3 of 3

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (177758 bytes, 1024x1365 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 014a.jpg - 177758 Bytes

UnionFreight
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2010, 10:02am »

Awesome pictures! Thanks so much for posting this.  I've noticed over the past year and a half there always seems to be action on Sundays on this parts of the line but I never catch it as its actually happening.  I always try to catch the action but some how miss out.  It seems like the Sundays that I get off the parkway and fart around in that neck of the woods for a lil bit I never catch anything and then on the Sundays that I don't go down there something happens.  Around what time was this happening?  I have a friend in Roselle who told me on her way to church one Sunday last year she was stopped on 9th due to a whole train of hoppers crossing.  Did you catch this early or was it later in the day?

forsberg11jn
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2010, 2:53pm »

Usually happens between 8am - 12pm.  The turn around time after dropping off the cars near CJ is pretty quick....usually within 5 min.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 1st, 2010, 5:53pm »

Good news to learn.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »