Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 18th, 2017, 11:30am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Linden, Roselle, & Cranford are officially back in business!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Rahway Valley
(Moderator: Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Linden, Roselle, & Cranford are officially back in business!  (Read 387 times)
UnionFreight
TRAINing

« on: Jun 19th, 2007, 1:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What started off as a crappy day at the doctor's office with a major procedure being performed on me turned into a super day once I left there and opened up the newspaper.  Front page of the Union County section in the Ledger the headline reads 'Linden-Cranford rail link gets funding'.  

Linden-Cranford rail link gets funding
DOT's $2.9 million could mean completion in months  
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
BY GABRIEL H. GLUCK
Star-Ledger Staff  
The state Department of Transportation has released $2.9 million to complete the restoration of the old Staten Island Railroad, from Linden to Cranford, Union County officials said yesterday.  

The line, dormant for well over a decade, could be operational by January, according to rail officials. Once reactivated, local rail freight from Linden, Roselle and Cranford, would be shipped out to Bound Brook, where rail cars would be handed off to national carriers, such as the Norfolk-Southern.  

Work on the Staten Island line, along with portions of the Rahway Valley Line, from Cranford to Summit, was suspended a year ago when funding dried up. In March, DOT Commissioner Kris Kolluri told county officials the state would consider allocating additional funds after a full review of the project's costs and benefits.  

The county's economic development staff reported to Kolluri that restoring rail freight service had the potential of generating at least 500 jobs and more than $10 million for the towns along the rail line.  

What the report didn't say was that if the work was not completed, all the state would have to show for the nearly $12 million spent to date was an extremely expensive rail storage yard.  

Morristown & Erie Railway Chief Operating Officer Gordon Fuller said he was pleased that work could finally resume. The M&E has the contract to repair the two dormant freight lines.  

Fuller said he expects the remaining work on the SIRR to be completed by January.  

Although trains could run now, with flagmen stationed at the seven rail crossings along the route, Fuller said regular service would not begin until rail crossing signals and gates were operational.  

In the coming months, the SIRR's seven miles of track will require tamping to ensure rails are in proper position; there is also some bridge abutment work to be done, Fuller said, noting that the waiting time for the manufacture of the signals and crossing gates will be the biggest time factor in determining when the line goes live.  

While the Linden to Cranford portion is part of an overall project to restore north-south freight rail service through the heart of the county, the DOT noted that the $2.9 million was to be used exclusively for getting the SIRR portion up and running.  

The state gave no indication as to when additional funds would be available to continue the project, Union County Manager George Devanney said yesterday.  

State and county officials have already hinted that while the project may be funded to complete rail access through Union, the final link through Springfield and Summit, connecting to NJ Transit's Morristown line, may be years from completion, if that portion is even finished.  

"We have not given up on the Springfield-Summit segment, but the higher priority is Springfield to Cranford," Fuller said. "For now, we would be looking for trackage rights over Conrail and NJ Transit, probably via the Kearny area."  

Fuller has wanted the full run, in part, to be able to transport pelletized plastic from Linden to manufacturing facilities in Morris County. Utilizing the SIRR and the Rahway Valley would enable trains to make the run in 90 minutes. Going via Kearny could take upward of 4 1/2 hours, he said.  

Fuller said that if the state were to provide the additional $6.9 million estimated to complete the portion from Cranford to Springfield, the work could be done by the end of next year.  

Gabriel H. Gluck may be reached at (90 302-1506 or ggluck@starledger.com.  

Well to me this is great news atleast part of our hopes and dreams are coming back so we have some great train action to look out for in the coming weeks to months and then regularly come January.  I am quite excited and hope the funding comes into play for Cranford-Summit.

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2007, 1:28pm by UnionFreight » Logged
Bryan
Railfan
Re: Linden, Roselle, & Cranford are officially back in business!

« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 5:16pm »

Though I am not familiar with the area that is mentioned in the article, anywhere where freight service is being brought back to formerly dormant lines is great news to me. Hopefully traffic increases after service starts up.  

I am more of a "trails to rails" kind of person.  

Bryan

You don't have to try too hard to outlaw. "They" will do it for you...
Don't try too hard to get overtime. "They" will do it for you...

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 5:16pm »

[b][/b][i][/i]Sweet!

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
gpicyk
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 8:54am »

This is great news indeed! I hope that we will see a revival of interest in this forum. I still look for photos and slides to post here,however obtaining permission from the photographer is sometimes difficult.   George Picyk

UnionFreight
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 4:53pm »

On my way home from work today I got off at 137 to pass by the South Ave crossing, Amsterdam Ave, and Pine Street.  Nothing seems to have happened yet as the hoppers are still in place and nothing has been moved I did notice however on the Pine Street crossing there is a brand new set of cable wire that appears to have been installed into the old signal light at the crossing and it connects up to the power line.  Whats funny is a couple of weeks ago my girlfriend and I were driving through there late one night and on the Pine Street crossing there was some sort of repair truck with a spot light down on the tracks shining up at the wires.  I figured maybe there was a power outage in the area and they were doing repairs but now that I see this brand new set of cables coming out of the old signal light and going up into the wires above I added both situations up and it appears that maybe that night I drove by these electricians were doing work on the railroad.  Anyway now that I know that the plans are for this line to be up and running by January I am gonna be keeping a close eye on the area and travel with my camera.  They are gonn ahave to get an engine in there at some point and transport the hoppers that are sitting around to get the tracks fully prepped and get any weeds and growth out.  This is a very exciting time, hope other big fans will be keeping an eye on the area too.

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2007, 4:55pm by UnionFreight » Logged
JrzWalker86
Railfan
Re: Linden, Roselle, & Cranford are officially back in busin

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 7:10pm »

Hmmm...over the last two weeks, I noticed that the ROW next to the Mazda dealer on rt. 22 was nicely cleared of cars. I don't know if it has been like that for a long time but it had me wondering.......

GP72ACe

View Profile  

Re: Linden, Roselle, & Cranford are officially BIB

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 7:12pm »

A real step forward.

Now on to Kenilworth, Union, Springfield and Summit.  (Even for the sake of the chagrin of this rail opponent.  Not a nice fellow, and not very factual either.)

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2007, 7:14pm by GP72ACe » Logged
UnionFreight
TRAINing

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 10:53pm »

Took a ride a long the rail line throughout Roselle and Cranford today.  It appears a lot of the weed growth has been removed and work is getting ready to resume again.  Nothing but track and stone as I looked down each crossing.  I can almost feel it that those hoppers between the South Ave crossinga nd Amsterdam are going to be on the move anytime now as more test trains run and the signals go up.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 12:01am »

Good news to read man.   Please keep us up to date on progress made.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
RV_History_Buff
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 5:15pm »

that is great news to hear keep us updated

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »