Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 18th, 2017, 3:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Why are you a RV fan?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Rahway Valley
(Moderator: Henry)
   Why are you a RV fan?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Why are you a RV fan?  (Read 774 times)
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

Why are you a RV fan?

« on: Oct 29th, 2005, 11:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I wanted to go a little to the left and pose this question out to you fans.
The Rahway Valley wasn't a big operation.   It ceased to exist more than 15 years ago.    
           With that being said, why are you the fan that you are?  
           Let us really get into the real reasons why this road get your interest.  
      Why are you a Rahway Valley fan?

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2005, 11:16pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
gpicyk
Historian
Re: Why are you a RV fan?

« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 11:05am »

While growing up in Roselle Park in the 50's and 60's, my family lived on Laurel Ave. across the street from the Rahway Valley. I was able to watch it every day except Sunday, when they did not run. There's something you must like about a railroad that was fighting for its life. On Saturdays I would walk the tracks from Roselle Park to Kenilworth and eat my lunch in the caboose.(this was after they no longer used it in service). Just some great memories.    George Picyk

RVkid
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 9:50am »

Interesting topic . . . I always loved trains in general, especially freight trains.  I grew up in New Providence, and we would occasionaly drive into Summit, going under the Broad Street and Morris Avenue bridges (currently torn down, but hopefully to be replaced in a year or two!).

I kind of knew the Rahway Valley was abandoned in Summit, but I wanted to see if it was still used further down the line.  So in the summer before I started high school (1985) I took a few bike trips to check the status of the line in other towns - I started with the industrial area of Union just north of Route 22.  I remember seeing some box cars on a siding on one trip, but that didn't convince me - maybe they'd been sitting there for years, right?  On another trip I just happened to catch a train coming back from Jaeger's Lumber to cross 22 - that was really exciting, and confirmed that the Rahway Valley was still alive.

WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 5:42pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

The RV was an interesting lil' railroad. It really is amazing if you think of it...a RR system connecting the Lackawanna with the CNJ. It's a different atmosphere than the same old mainline railroads (as good as they are) so it's just a "cute" little operation. That's pretty much why I like it.

-Colin

JrzWalker86
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 10:08pm »

Hmmm.....
It's kinda funny. I am a southern Jersey guy who moved up north in 1998 so I could attend NJIT for engineering. I stopped off at the A&P in Kenilworth because I wanted to see if anyone had an apartment I could rent. Anyway, I noticed right on the lawn a set of railroad tracks. I noticed that though they were well exposed and in pretty decent shape, they certainly had not been used in quite a while. Also, I noticed the rail was not quite as large as the type I would normally see on other rail routes. After some research on the net I learned about the short line and then kinda forgot about it, thinking it was just another abandoned railroad lost in time. Then one day, I checked the net for some information about the SIRT because an aquaintance I knew lived in Roselle Park right next to the tracks. I noticed the brush on the tracks was being cleared away. That's when I learned they were going to reactivate the RV line. I was absolutely amazed. I'm now glad to hear a case where the NIMBYS will just have to not have things go their way for once. Besides, the railroad was certainly there before those people were.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 6:41pm »

I have always passes by the RV for many years visiting family.  Only a few times did I see railcars on the tracks at any point on the line.  This was from the '60's through the 90's.  I was in school in Union.  We were next to the track and still only once did I hear and see a train go by.  Yet I was intrigued.
    I may not be as big fan as say George,(who is?) but hey, I bought my ticket and I found my seat.  Let's go!

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
rvrrhs
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 9:26pm »

I grew up in Springfield in the early 70s. We lived on Garden Oval, less than a half-mile from the tracks beside Meisel Field. My friends and I used to play a lot in the woods between Garden Oval and Meisel Field. Occasionally we would put coins on the rails, and then hide in the trees off to the side to watch them get flattened.

When I was older, the tracks were a shortcut to my favorite candy store (comic books & baseball cards!) on Mountain Ave., and to friends' houses further up the hill in Springfield.

In later years, I have had other connections to the RV:

1. Always drove past it in day-to-day affairs, not only in Springfield but in Union and Maplewood, too.
2. A friend operated his lawn-sprinkler business out of the Springfield train station.
3. My wife grew up in a Kenilworth apartment right at the crossing on Monroe Ave.
4. The company I now work for publishes a magazine orginally founded by one-time RV owner Louis Keller.

Remember the Rahway Valley Railroad. Join the RVRRHS.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 6:20pm »

I am barley   a fan of this line,  

Except for a story my grandpa tells me about how he lived near the line and saw the locomotives daly, when he was in high school he worked for a scrapyard or some thing?/ and the trains went throuh it and how he saw #15 at steamtown when steamtown opend.  

Ok, I will get my grand father to tell me word for word if you would like.

My 81 post 9 more till i reach 90

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2005, 6:26pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Rev_Matt
Enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 11:48am »

I'm a fan of the Rahway Valley for a number of reasons.  Mainly because it was a suburban shortline that literally ran through people's back yards, alongside parks, behind schools and across suburban streets.  It would make a great railroad to model in HO.

nnjrailfan
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Jan 17th, 2013, 9:00pm »

I became a fan when I discovered it while searching on the web for a small, local operation to model in HO scale.  What made it so attractive was that it was a plucky operation with big personalities who ran it, and I could probably model the entire prototype in my basement.

Ed_Cardinal
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2013, 9:26am »

I grew up in Springfield along with Dad and his Dad.  The family ran/owned a nursery/garden center.  Its still there (Cardinal's Garden Center on Milltown Rd) but new owners.   The RVRR line ran a few blocks behind my house and the garden center and we saw the trains run thru town for years.  There used to be a station called Baltusrol which was rented out to a fertilizer place (called Andy something) for years but was torn down to make way for Rt-78.   Gramps and dad used to unload garden center supplies from the depot in Springfiled @ Mountain Ave (still there) at the Builders Warehouse (which is gone).  
They also used to get fertilizer stuff from the old Baltusrol station.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 5:54pm »

I found it back in the 1970's before I could drive. I took the train to Roselle Park and walked the tracks to the Kenilworth shops. The crews were friendly and the 70 Tonners were exotic motive power for me at the time.

nnjrailfan
TRAINing

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 6:06pm »

Can you remember anything from those times, eg what kind of cars were in the yard, names of the employees?

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013, 6:06pm by nnjrailfan » Logged
Best Little Train
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Feb 4th, 2013, 7:23pm »

I'm a Rahway Valley fan because my father-in-law was George A. Clark the President & General Manager; my father was George Davis, a man that held many positions, most importantly Master Mechanic on the railroad; and my husband was Robert G. Clark who assumed the position of President & General Manager when his father died.

I have many memories of "growing up" on the railroad and even working there, especially after the fire that was the demise of the little train that could.

As a little girl I spent Saturdays there when my father was in the roundhouse getting the engines ready for work the next week.

In later years as an adult, I worked in the railroad office.  

I'm lucky to have so memories of the Rahway Valley Railroad.

nnjrailfan
TRAINing

« Reply #14 on: Feb 4th, 2013, 10:02pm »

And we are lucky that you joined us on this forum!  Should we still address you as Mrs. Clark?

There are a growing number of fans of this local railroad (I suspect based on the strength of the personalities who ran it) who would love to hear you share more stories of when your husband and his dad ran it.  Please tell us some of your favorite stories (and/or least favorite) about the railroad and the other people who worked there; about any memorabilia you've retained (pictures, please, if you have them).  Have you remained in this part of NJ?  We are starved for more information!

Welcome!

Best Little Train
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Feb 5th, 2013, 10:37pm »

I will get back to you on posting my stories and memories.  I'm working with someone who is building a Rahway Valley website.  I have already given him all the stories and memories.  

Therefore, I feel it wouldn't be fair to him if I tell you the same stories and memories.  His website is coming along beautifully.  I'm quite sure that anyone who has posted on this blog will enjoy the pictures and my stories.  His website isn't finished but maybe he'll release it to you guys.  I'll ask him.    

I will check with him to see how he feels about me releasing my information to you.  

And no need to address me as Mrs. Clark.  My name is Corinne.

Best Little Train
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Feb 5th, 2013, 11:24pm »

I couldn't figure out how to write a new post so I'm replying to my own post.  Pretty dumb huh  

Here's the website that Ritchie King and I are building.  You will find my stories and memories throughout the site.  Also, some great pictures that will bring back your memory of the Rahway Valley.  Hope you enjoy.

www.trainweb.org/rahwayvalley

nnjrailfan
TRAINing

« Reply #17 on: Feb 5th, 2013, 11:30pm »

I figured it was Richie -- just saw the link to his site from Steve Lynch's trainsarefun.com.  It's a pretty tight community you've ventured into!  

Richie, please don't keep us waiting too long!

Best Little Train
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Feb 6th, 2013, 9:15am »

I want to correct a comment I made earlier.  

Ritchie King is the one who is building the Rahway Valley website.  

I'm just adding my two cents.

Hopefully you will enjoy the memories and pictures of this wonderful little railroad.

Best Little Train
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Feb 6th, 2013, 9:19am »

on Feb 5th, 2013, 11:30pm, nnjrailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I figured it was Richie -- just saw the link to his site from Steve Lynch's trainsarefun.com.  It's a pretty tight community you've ventured into!  

Richie, please don't keep us waiting too long!

You don't have to wait.  Ritchie posted the name earlier.    Yeah, I realize I'm now in with the big boys  And you can't kick me out  

http://www.trainweb.org/rahwayvalley/

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »