Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 18th, 2017, 3:49pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Faithful 15
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Rahway Valley
(Moderator: Henry)
   Faithful 15
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Faithful 15  (Read 1718 times)
gpicyk
Historian
Faithful 15
  RV_15-01.jpg - 17531 Bytes
« on: Aug 30th, 2004, 10:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

While touring Steamtown Elsie and I took the opportunity to photograph number 15. George Picyk

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RV/RV_15-01.jpg
Click Image to Resize

gpicyk
Historian
Re: Faithful 15
  Rv15-02.jpg - 17271 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30th, 2004, 10:10pm »

Here's a shot from the fireman's side. This locomotive was used by Steamtown when Nelson Blount owned it. Sure wish it could steam again.    George Picyk

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/RV/Rv15-02.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 11:00am »

Hello George and all...

Congratulations on the new forum! Here's a nice write up on the history of the #15 from the Steamtown website:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2r.htm

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2005, 3:56pm »

The 15 is a nice little locomotive but it really is to small for the grades around Scranton and it's tender only holds 3500 gallons of water which would make the engine good for the Lackawanna Valley Excursions. But the 15 did run in the 60's and early 70's until it blew a flue. The engine isn't in really bad shape. Who knows, maybe one day she will be restored.

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 9:42am »

A bit of statistical information and a photo of #15.

http://www.nps.gov/stea/Collection/National%20HSLS0015.htm

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 6:02pm »

Bonnie and I were at Steamtown yesterday and so I took a couple of pictures of #15.  
George and Elsie pictures show a fresher locomotive.  
#15 looks to need a good cleaning and new coat of paint to fend off the elements.

CapnTomDrums

« Reply #6 on: May 10th, 2007, 7:55pm »

Why does 15 have outside admission valves?

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks."
Samuel Adams
GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: May 12th, 2007, 5:32am »

That's revealed on the Steamtown link (the first one).  Number 15 originally had slide valves; in 1926, the engine was shipped to Baldwin (Eddystone) to repair damage due to icing, and the people there rebuilt it with the outside admission for the new piston valves to avoid altering the valve gear.

Incidentally, why would a 2-8-0 with low drivers have trouble with the DL&W's grades in and out of Scranton, especially with a Steamtown tourist train?

CapnTomDrums

« Reply #8 on: May 12th, 2007, 7:14am »

Thank You.

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks."
Samuel Adams
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: May 13th, 2007, 1:53am »

Great incite on that question GP.   I don't see why it would have problems on grades though.

GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: May 18th, 2007, 7:08pm »

Nor do I.  NKP believes that it would, though; and these are grades that 2-8-0s went up and down with far heavier trains than a Steamtown excursion train would be, I would say.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #11 on: May 21st, 2007, 4:35pm »

NH&I runs their 2-8-0 on a ruling grade of nearly 2 % .....on much twistier, "rougher" row than Steamtown's.

If 40 can easily haul a loaded 6 car passenger train up the hill un assisted (christmas trains), why couldn't the 15 pull a 6 car train at Steamtown?  

They are similar in size and TE.

Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: May 21st, 2007, 5:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

It's not the grade 15 would have a problem with, it's the distance from Scranton to Moscow. 15 could make it halfway up to Winston Siding, but getting to Moscow would drain the water. I'm sure 15 could do it.

Just my thoughts.
- Adam

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #13 on: May 21st, 2007, 6:08pm »

I think adam sounds right on the money. But I want to see #15 running as much as the next guy so, lets get some cash together and build a water tower in moscow.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: May 23rd, 2007, 1:49am »

on May 21st, 2007, 5:37pm, Adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's not the grade 15 would have a problem with, it's the distance from Scranton to Moscow. 15 could make it halfway up to Winston Siding, but getting to Moscow would drain the water. I'm sure 15 could do it
Not like Steamtown has a shortage of auxiliary tenders.

dnotarius
TRAINing

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:07am »

Here is another idea about RV 15. Since it is a  New Jersey Locomotive, perhaps the folks at Steamtown would loan or lease the 15 to the future New Jersey Museum of Trasnsportation (if it ever gets built), or the Whippany Railroad Museum. She would get better attention  and care than at Steamtown and would be historically near to her home rails. Whippany already has the two RV 70 ton locomotives, aand does have the restoration people at hand. Also, the Morristown & Erie might even allow the 15 to return to home rails for special fan trips! Any ideas on this?

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 8:35pm »

Great idea for #15, but it's going to need a whole lot of specialized work done to her to get her to pass FRA inspection.  

dnotarius
TRAINing

« Reply #17 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 10:01pm »

In response to Eddie M;

That's true for any steam locomotive that has been out of service as long as RV 15. Besides a new set of boiler tubes, assorted staybolts, lagging replacement, and everything else that needs to be either overhauled, replaced, rebuilt and brought up to current FRA standards, it should not be that difficult to do as long as you have the experience manpower, a secured restoration shop, and the money to pay for the work. If not restored to operation, the 15 would be a great exhibit in Whippany or at the New Jersey Transport Museum - if it ever gets built. The 15 has a bit more relevance to New Jersey than Steamtown. A long term lease or loan would give Steamtown an opportunity to concentrate on other locomotives awaiting restoration. After all, how many New Jersey based railroad steam locomotives survive and how many are in New Jersey? And it would be great to have all the surviving Rahway Valley locomotive together at the same location. This is an idea to kick around, never know where it may go....

PRR460

« Reply #18 on: Jun 21st, 2008, 11:11am »

This engine is actually one of two, possibly three in the Steamtown collection that has incredible historical significance to the site.  She was repaired in the shops during the DL&W days.

The E6s

Steamtown_Fan_LENNY
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Mar 9th, 2010, 1:11pm »

I was talking to Mr. Conrad through facebook the other night about No. 15. He said that 15 was repaired at Scranton a few times in her operational days. Mr. Conrad was a Engineer for the DL&W/EL/Conrail retiring 1987 He's now helping to restore DL&W 565 with historical information. His facebook profile is just field  with old photo's of steam locomotive from the DL&W and the RV.  
Here's his profile link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?v=wall&id=100000488574008 He is full of information.

James

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »