Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 8:57am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"THE COAL KING"
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Special Interests
   Railroad Stories
(Moderators: ranger101, KingCoal)
   "THE COAL KING"
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "THE COAL KING"  (Read 248 times)
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member
"THE COAL KING"

« on: Dec 29th, 2012, 11:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

All:

Here is a bit of sci-fi/fantasy that I hope you'll enjoy reading!

Deep, deep, beneath the surface of the Earth, where ever-restless, ever-fickle, mortal beings reside, His Majesty the Coal King, sat upon his towering, glistening black throne, which was itself hewn from anthracite.

The Coal King, himself a massive, hulking supernatural bieng of living coal (but of human features), lit his stone pipe from the live embers he carried in his rocky pocket, and then puffed thoughtfully, his mind engrossed in reeling in the memories of a long-ago, distant past.

"SMUDGE AND BLAZES!", His Majesty suddenly roared, and then, suddenly and without warning, the harsh, shrill clanging of an ancient electric emergency bell, sparked to life once again, gaining its flitting power by the flickers of decades-old electricity still flowing through its frayed wires.

"FUMES AND FURNACES!" The King bellowed again, his angry voice echoing and re-echoing like the firing of an unseen cannon, reverbrating through the long-disused elevator shafts, passageways, and mine tunnels, where long-dormant narrow-gauge electric trains sat disused and decaying upon their rusting rails.

Responding to their Great Master's voice, the Coal Nomes appeared, emerging effortlessy in quick, liquid movements from the mine walls themselves; from the echoing catacombs of coal they appeared, long since abandoned by the thoughtless Earth People above.

By the dozens they came....by the hundreds....the thousands.....the tens of thousands......each Nome all of coal.....and upon each time-creased brow, a brilliant electric light, that glittered and sparkled as though fashioned from the rarest of diamonds.

These lights reflected off of the great shields they wore upon their chests......shields of rare and fine metals that glistened in the lights like a thousand underground Suns.

Now, the reason that the King of Coal was in such a disagreeable mood, was that, once again, he lamented with both fury and remorse, the passing of the great activity that went on relentlessly day and night within the realms of his vast, underground dominions........,day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade........never ceasing, never stopping, never halting......not for even the briefest second.

For the moment, the endless legions of Coal Nomes stood at rigid attention, awaiting the next words from their ageless, timeless Monarch.

The King then called to his Chief Steward, The Lord High Anthra Cyte, who was also the King's High Priest.

"You are a High Priest", said His Majesty, "one who can easily call upon the Great Spirits of Old......tell me, then, Oh Chief Steward, why is it that you could not reconcile these ancient Spirits......commune with them....meet in High Council with them......so that my vast underground dominions could still prosper, as they had for endless decades?"

The Lord High Anthra Cyte, bowing low, replied with cool dignity.

"I HAVE indeed met in High Council with the Ancient Spirits.....all of them I have confered with and medidate with. Whom else by your Chief Steward and High Priest could even attempt such an impossible task?"

For a brief, yet endless moment, there was nothing but silence......not a sound except the muffled rustling of biengs of coal restlessly awaiting further instructions.

The Lord High Anthra Cyte continued, again bowing low to His Majesty.

"I have medidated with all of the Great and Mighty Spirits.....Spirits we have always held in both  the greatest fear, as well as the greatest respect......Lack-oo-wanna......Centruhl of Jerzey......Reh'ding......as well as the others......but even these Ancient and Most Powerful of Spirits were rendered powerless, by the bumbling, ever-questing mortals on the Surface."

Pausing briefly, the Lord High Anthra Cyte continued.

"And these foolish Mortals, in their great folly, are so foolish to believe that their newfangled ways are far more beneficial to thier ever-restless Surface World, showing tremendous disregard and disrespect for His Majesty, His Royal Subjects, and his vast Underground Dominions."

"PETRIFIED POLYMORPHS!" the King roared, his booming tones rivaling the loudest exhausts of the largest steam locomotives that once passed far above his vast and hidden Kingdom of Coal.

All this while, the Coal Nomes stood motionless and silent, not a one daring to utter even the smallest sound.

The gleaming lights upon their brows glistened and flickered against the rocky walls that surround them all.

Trying valiantly to retain his dignity, while also trying to keep his fear in check, the Lord High Anthra Cyte replied in a respectful tone, "Your Majesty......even the Greatest and Mot Powerful of Ancient Spirits are powerless and helpless against what the Surface People call 'Progress'."

For several moments, the Great King of Coal was silent, puffing determinedly upon his pipe.

His red, rheumy eyes then gazed sorrowfully at his loyal Chief Steward and High Priest.

"I had forgotten, Anthra Cyte," he said his harsh, rough-hewn voice now calm, "there are many vile poisons which inflict all who inhabit the Surface World.....and 'Progress' , I see, is the vilest of all to my Kingdom and my loyal and courageous warriors and loyal subjects......if only we Coal Nomes had developed an immunity throughout the ages, to this dreaded affliction......"

THE END

"JerseyRails815"

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013, 12:23am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
KingCoal
Historian
Re: "THE COAL KING"

« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2012, 6:27am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Nice work, Mr. Malone.
It's nice to see this board showing some new Life.

RETIRED
"A busy Mainline and a trout stream beside it"
paradise !
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2012, 9:20am »

on Dec 30th, 2012, 6:27am, KingCoal wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice work, Mr. Malone.
It's nice to see this board showing some new Life.

Thanks!

As you can see, I've long been blessed with a most vivid imagination, greatly inflenced by the great works of Jules Verne, Rod Serling,  Frank L. Baum, and Ray Bradbury!<G>

This imagination has allowed me to truly delve into the "spiritual" aspect of railroad history, and, to conjur up fantastic tales of "unworldly" activity!

This is something I've long enjoyed doing, and allows me to derive great pleasure from these imaginative tales.......and, of course, it always a great feeling to to know one's work is appreciated by others!

"H.F.M."

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2012, 10:26am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2012, 2:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Definitely some great work, Mr. HFM........the certain moral of the story being that "Progress" isn't necessarily Progress!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2012, 6:04pm »

on Dec 30th, 2012, 2:47pm, charlie6017 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Definitely some great work, Mr. HFM........the certain moral of the story being that "Progress" isn't necessarily Progress!

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie......I try!

To quote Dr. Suess' "LORAX":

".....sometimes I think progress progresses too fast......"

Well said!

"H.F.M."

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »