Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

SP 786 restoration
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Preservation
(Moderators: Henry, Alco83)
   SP 786 restoration
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: SP 786 restoration  (Read 101 times)
jmandell
TRAINing
SP 786 restoration

« on: Sep 6th, 2008, 2:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm new to this list.  I'm a volunteer with Austin Steam Train Assoc and am involved with the restoration efforts of SP 786 Mikado.  

I've just created a new photo gallery of the restoration progress.  I will be updating it regularly so interested folks can keep current.
http://www.pointech.com/786

If you are not already familiar with 786, it was an SP locomotive that ran in Texas and was placed in a park in Austin.  In the early 1990s, it was restored by the Austin Steam Train Association & put is excursion service in the Hill Country around Austin.  After several years of operation a crack was discovered in the left cylinder saddle and it was taken out of service.

Over several years, 786 underwent a major disassembly.  It was decided that the cracked casting could not be repaired, so two new cylinder saddles were patterned & cast.  They are currently being machined and fit to the frame in Alabama.  The boiler & other parts have been sent to various contractors for refurbishment.

This has been a long, tedious process, mostly depending on volunteer efforts.  Work by contractors has really sped up the process and we hope to maintain adequate cash flow to keep the work going.  The completion date is largely a function of funding and vendor resources & time.

Cheers, John Mandell
Austin, TX

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »