Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Yellow Ribbon Express
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Preservation
(Moderators: Henry, Alco83)
   The Yellow Ribbon Express
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Yellow Ribbon Express  (Read 582 times)
HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express

« Reply #20 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 8:51am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 15th, 2007, 7:41pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...for nationwide run, oil, especially diesel amid (for the politics of it) especially bio-diesel, is an easier deal than coal, logistically and politically...

Clyde -

Ah! The bio diesel fad. Still another sad story of unintended consequences. Tune in to Chicago Board Of Trade, and its now current cash and futures on corn.

So now we get the hot chiles and top dollar on the burritos. Corn fueled chickens. Anything reliant on corn. It has sharply spiked world prices of the commodity.  
And, we all get to pay for it at the grocery store. Sigh....

Maybe we were all better off with Old King Coal...

.............................Vern.................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express

« Reply #21 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 6:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I do not claim bio diesel is a great idea (Willie Nelson and his bio-diesel burning bus to the contrary) in terms of what it costs, what it does to or for emissions or such. I do say it is a politically good idea at this time, so go for it.

I also suggest that anybody who thinks that diesel burning in a steam locomotive firebox (as compared to a high compression, compression ignition reciprocating engine) cranks out a lot of nitrogen oxides doesn't understand how it works. A carefully fired steam engine can use excess air so there is a very high combustion efficiency with very little other than CO2 and H2O emitted. And of course exhaust steam. Light-fraction oil fuels (including bio diesel) have low carbon deposits in tubes (as copared to Bunker C), so should not need frequent sanding out. If i recall correctly, 614 has over-fire air jets, so she ought to burn real clean after a little tuning.

While I don't think bio diesel is wonderful, it will work just fine. So will peanut oil, canola oil, corn oil, hemp oil or about anything else that will pump through the lines....

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »