Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Yellow Ribbon Express
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Preservation
(Moderators: Henry, Alco83)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Yellow Ribbon Express  (Read 581 times)
St. Elizabeths Hospital #4
Former Member

« on: Jul 27th, 2007, 8:02am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

And you thought you heard it all........

I'm curious to hear others opinions on this whole thing but I'll say that I certainly feel this is one of the best ways possible to show off American history and I sure hope Ross Rowland will be able to pull this one off however I'm well aware of the fact that this could possibly be a miracle is CSX went for this one on their tracks.

Read this from RYPN:

"Effective today, 26 July, the YRE project website is up and running at....yellowribbonexpress.com  
Please keep in mind that it is VERY much a work in progress (as is the underlying project itself) and that many additions/improvements will be made in the days/weeks immediately ahead.  
Also, please be ever mindful of the critical fact that to become reality the project must be able to successfully garner $50 million dollars in corporate co-sponsorships for the business model upon which it is built to work. This will not be an easy task to say the least, and therefore it may well end up not happenning.  
We've been working in the background on this since Feb.'06 and the further we get the more optimistic I've become that we will be able to secure the necessary funding-BUT-the proof is in the pudding-so we'll see in the next 6 months or so if my optimism proves correct  
As to the many rail related questions you may have, let me say that IF we are able to get the critical corporate partners signed on and thus have a viable project, the YRE WILL be an all steam powered special train with C&O #614 as the "main" motive power in partnership with a number of additional,suitable, mainline capable steam locomotives. The 10 display cars will be custom rebuilds and each will contain a people mover identical to the system that worked so well on the American Freedom Train. The "VIP" cars bringing up the rear of the YRE will be specifically reconstructed so as to allow us to carry approx. 300 VIP wounded warriors as our special guests into thier hometowns as we make our way through the nation over the 3 year,25,000 mile journey. The balance of the 24 car long train will be comprised of various support cars.  
In recognition of todays realities the 614 will be converted to burn bio-diesel during its FRA work-up, in part so that she can be an environmentally clean good will ambassador and for operating practicalities.  
I will do my best to keep you updated on our progress and when we've been able to secure our corporate partners I will reach out for your suggestions as to how we can make the YRE the best it can be.  
The YRE is all about saying thanks to the brave Americans who have answered the Call To Duty and are serving our nation on the front lines in this Global War On Terrorism. Seems to me that we're going to be in this struggle for a LONG,LONG time and all of us need to do whatever we can as individuals to encourage our young people to consider answering the Call To Duty so that we can maintain an all volunteer military.  
From the relatively narrow perspective of a life long steam enthusiast I also see the 3 year,25,000 mile,150 display city journey of the YRE as a superb opportunity to showcase our railroad preservation industry and to highlight those properties (museums,operating tourist shortlines etc.) within a 50 mile radius of each of the 150 display sites so that they will benefit from the extensive media coverage and the average daily 15,000 visitors to the YRE.  
I'm confident that I carry your well wishes into this next critical phase (getting the $50 million in corporate sponsorships) and pledge to you that I will report back in a timely manner on our progress.  
Thank you, Ross Rowland"

www.yellowribbonexpress.com

Anyone

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2007, 10:46pm by Indian_Valley_R.R. » Logged
Anthony_SRR
Former Member
Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express

« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 12:08pm »

I must say, I like the sound of it Matt. It should be a great success, especially having 614 helping, but this is also a really cool think as well, displaying American history, like the freedom train, and it has a really great name. I hope it comes by me

Anthony

PennRailVideos
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 1:55pm »

My god. 614 is going to steam once more. Burn bio-diesel? Isn't that less efficeint because 614 is a coal burner? It seems like an unnessicary conversion, and this proves that we're trying to please everyone. I think they should have a 10-15 car coal train go ahead or behind the special for it's entire trip.  

But that's just how I feel. I'm glad that 614 will run once again.
Hats off to Ross Rowland.
- Adam

Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 4:22pm »

Thanks for the in-put fellas. I appreciate it. I would still like to hear other peoples thoughts on this whole matter as I plan to follow this very closely.

Adam: In response to the 614's conversion to BD, Ross has stated that he wants to old girl to remain burning coal but she will be converted to BD due to (A) $$$ and from what I understand...drum role please.....NIMBYS.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2007, 10:47pm by Indian_Valley_R.R. » Logged
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 4:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This sounds like a great idea. I do hope it works out for you all. If it does run, then I will have to go down to the US and see it. Just wondering, I don't know much about this 614...........ok, I know nothing but of the number.If somemight be able to inlighten me of it, then that would be great. Best of luck with this. I would like to help but theres not much I can do from here in Canada. But best of luck.

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007, 4:42pm by BCR 706 » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 4:53pm »

Good to here you're supportive of the YRE Balto. You ask about the 614. She is a former C&O (Chesapeake and Ohio) 4-8-4 Northern steam locomotive that has been in storage in Pennsylvania since 1998.  

Below you can find some pictures of her.
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=157897&nseq=0
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=123104&nseq=15
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=140010&nseq=5

Thanks for your interest.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2007, 10:47pm by Indian_Valley_R.R. » Logged
Pennsyduplex
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 6:30pm »

It's great that the C&O 614 has the chance to run again, burning either Bio diesel or coal it does not matter to me just as long as shes running..  

The last time the 614 was under steam that I know of was in 2000 in the NJT Hoboken Engine Facility
http://www.co614.com/njtransitphotos.htm shortly after this it was moved to Port Clinton, PA where it sat on Reading & Northern Property ever since.

Long live steam!!
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 6:57pm »

My gosh that's a beautiful engine. It would be so great if it could run again. It would look great hauling the Yellow Ribbon Express. I hope this all works out for you. Best of luck.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 7:34pm »

Just a few things..

What is bio-diesl? And what are the odds of this actually happening?

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Pennsyduplex
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 8:39pm »

Look at this link for info on Biodiesel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

There is a pretty good chance of it happening, however is all depends if Ross Rowland gets the sponsors he needs.

Long live steam!!
Eric_B.
Chaser

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 9:08pm »

A $50 million and major USA railroad approval kinda chance. CSX and the UP will be a biznatch to get approval to run on. CSX just doesnt like steam and UP doesnt like any steam thats not theirs. I think that because its for the soldiers it might have a better chance. However with the negative response to the war it might hurt it. When I fired for Ross this past Christmas we talked about this venture. It is an awsome plan and I hope it works

-Eric

If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks.
90Fan
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 11:40pm »

I'd love to see this happen. Anyone know if any of those 150 cities are in Southeast PA? I'd imagine Philly would be a stop, but I'm curious as to others (Reading, perhaps?).

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 4:50pm »

They will probably take whatever city they can get, I don’t know how it will be getting companies like NS to approve

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 10:38am »

The Plot thickens, I really hope to see this happen

Anthony

GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:24am »

on Jul 26th, 2007, 8:02am, Ross Rowland wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In recognition of todays (sic) realities the 614 will be converted to burn bio-diesel during its FRA work-up, in part so that she can be an environmentally clean good will (sic) ambassador and for operating practicalities
Well, I can see very limited operating practicalities, e.g. biodiesel does have 35 million BTU per ton whereas bituminous coal averages 25 million BTU per ton; plus, the per-pound capacity of biodiesel would be equivalent to the coal-carrying capacity of 614's tender, with less used space (unless they also convert the additional space built onto the tender for coal into oil tanks).  I do not picture, however, ready availability of biodiesel; coal would be more available.  

(Who would get 614's coal grates and automatic stoker, then? and where is the atomizer and pump assembly for the new fuel setup coming from?  Would biodiesel post-combustion deposits accumulate faster on the flue pipes and superheaters, resulting in the need for more frequent sand-washes while running?)

As for environmental cleanliness, that would merely be measured by how much cleaner any oil burns compared to coal.  Steam locomotives are not equipped with catalytic converters, after all, so whatever bad emissions biodiesel would put out would be exacerbated (the EPA has found that NOx emissions are higher from biodiesel, no matter the source; and general hydrocarbon emissions are no lower than from conventional diesel fuel).

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007, 2:28am by GP72ACe » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 1:40pm »

The sheer butchery of 614 in a fuel conversion is a despicable and deplorable act. I would love to see this lady in steam, again, but better that she should be placed on static display than be altered to placate the tree huggin' bunny lovers. GO, ROSS, GO! Not a bad idea. Just leave that precious engine behind. I'm certain that she would find a good home.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 4:38pm »

I myself am no fan of conversion from coal to oil.  The big excuses to convert UP's 844 and 3985 to oil had to do with cinders supposedly causing "track fires" or kindling fires on adjacent flora; but that could have been mitigated by using a cleaner form of coal.  

Why not put anthracite in 614's firebox, which would be large enough? or how about coke, which is clean in and of itself (but might be hard to come by)?

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 10:10pm »

on Aug 8th, 2007, 2:24am, GP72ACe wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well, I can see very limited operating practicalities, e.g. biodiesel does have 35 million BTU per ton whereas bituminous coal averages 25 million BTU per ton; plus, the per-pound capacity of biodiesel would be equivalent to the coal-carrying capacity of 614's tender, with less used space (unless they also convert the additional space built onto the tender for coal into oil tanks).  I do not picture, however, ready availability of biodiesel; coal would be more available.  

(Who would get 614's coal grates and automatic stoker, then? and where is the atomizer and pump assembly for the new fuel setup coming from?  Would biodiesel post-combustion deposits accumulate faster on the flue pipes and superheaters, resulting in the need for more frequent sand-washes while running?)

As for environmental cleanliness, that would merely be measured by how much cleaner any oil burns compared to coal.  Steam locomotives are not equipped with catalytic converters, after all, so whatever bad emissions biodiesel would put out would be exacerbated (the EPA has found that NOx emissions are higher from biodiesel, no matter the source; and general hydrocarbon emissions are no lower than from conventional diesel fuel).

All I can say is tell that to the American public. There might just be a difference between what is really environmentally good and what the American public thinks is environmentally good.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 12:41am »

The American public judges by what they see coming out of the smokebox.  If it's in any way opaque and not white (i.e. not resembling anything but steam), the self-appointed environmentalists will do their darndest to stir up the masses against the operation of any kind of steam hogs.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 7:41pm »

The war in Iraq isn't at all popular. But the troops are very popular indeed. The politics of this are pretty good for getting even CSX, NS and UP to get on board IMO.

There isn't any "butchery" involved in switching from coal to oil. Grates get stored. Stoker probably remains in place, otr is stored, so that reconversion is possible when desired. Tender conversion isn't a huge deal, just putting an oil tank in the coal bunker (or finding a good oil tender and mating it to the locomotive - probably a  better idea if possible). And for nationwide run, oil, especially diesel amid (for the politics of it) especially bio-diesel, is an easier deal than coal, logistically and politically.

The USN has certainly found that the use of lighter fraction oils is easier on emissions (especially smoke) than the classic Naval Special Fuel Oil (heavy oil, Bunker C) which is pretty similar to what the railroads used to burn. In the sort of conditions found in a locomotive firebox, NOx is not much of a problem with light oils (or heavy ones) and sulfur (a problem with some - many - coals) oxides are not any sort of problem with bio-diesels. All of this is good. I don't see a big problem with the conversion. Or with getting the Class One RRs to get on board, either. I like it.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »