Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Teen charged in fire that destroyed B&M depot
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Preservation
(Moderators: Henry, Alco83)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Teen charged in fire that destroyed B&M depot  (Read 199 times)
Alco83

« on: Jun 14th, 2007, 8:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

At the rate arson seems to be destroying historic railroad structures, one wonders what percentage of that which remains will be gone in the next 10+ years...

-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------

TRAINS:  HOOSICK FALLS, N.Y. - The former Boston & Maine depot in Hoosick Falls was set on fire Saturday, and a 16-year-old has been charged with the crime. The youth is alleged to have intentionally ignited a soda bottle filled with gasoline with a lit cigarette under a set of stairs at the depot on Center Street in the village, the Times Herald-Record reported. The result was a blaze that destroyed the more than 120-year-old structure.
The fire was reported around 11 p.m. Saturday. When crews arrived on the scene the structure was fully engulfed and later had to be razed, according to Hoosick Falls officials.

The teen was remanded to the Rensselaer County Jail without bail after being charged with third-degree arson and second-degree criminal mischief, according to a statement issued by Hoosick Falls Police. The arrest was the result of an investigation and eyewitness account, police said.

The depot had previously sustained damage in a fire Jan. 18 that was later deemed accidental. At that time a work crew attempting to thaw frozen pipes ignited it.
The structure most recently served as offices and storage for Pan Am Railways, which runs the former Boston & Maine line through the village.

Parkersburg Branch: Monongah Division
American Rails: Resource Guide to American Railroading
ARF: A Family-friendly Railfan Community!
90Fan
Historian
Re: Teen charged in fire that destroyed B&M depot

« Reply #1 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 6:35pm »

That is tragic. Absolutely tragic. It's a shame that people percieve we teenagers as troublemakers with no respect for history just because of a few a-holes like this guy. This guy's about my age, and I can see no motive for doing something like this. He thinks he's all cool because he's committing arson, and he thinks a wooden train station is a vurnerable target. Sadly, it is, and stations like this are disappearing everywhere because a thug needs to prove he's tough. You can throw him in jail, but that won't bring the station back. Alco, you bring up a very good point. God knows how much will be left if this keeps up?

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2007, 6:38pm by 90Fan » Logged

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 7:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I hear you Brain. No one cares about history or any one's property really. It's jerks like that, gie us a bad name. This is a horrible crime; I hope these guys gets a heavy sentence for destroying something that can never be replaced. I bet he looks really cool to his friends right now behind bars in an orange jump suit...But I always wonder this, what was his motive was for destroying this piece of history though.

Anthony

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 6:49pm »

16? Nothing ("nothing"?) but property damage? He'll almost certainly be handled in the juvenile justice system, maybe committed to whatever New York calls its equivalent of the Texas Youth Commission "until he is 21". He'll (if that happens) spend a few months in a juvenile facility and then be released under supervision (which won't amount to much)  for a wile and then be completely loosed on te community.  And of course, he may receive juvenile probation for six months or a year and then be free of any sort of constraint at all.

With luck he won't commit some more serious crime (say - rape and robbery) as soon as he gets out. Don't ask why I suggest rape and robbery as his first essays in criminality after he returns to the community.

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 10:42pm »

Back in my day, 16 wasn't too old for 'em to get their behind stropped with a belt!  I think that's what's wrong now!  There simply is NO deterent to crime and nothing to dread from misbehavior.  It DID work back then.........................................

Gadfly

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »