Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2018, 7:29pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Saving another N6b
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Preservation
(Moderators: Henry, Alco83)
   Saving another N6b
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Saving another N6b  (Read 314 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Saving another N6b
  N6B-6.jpg - 231250 Bytes
« on: Dec 11th, 2017, 10:30am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Back at the beginning of the summer, I got a call from one of my train buddies asking if I wanted to help save an N6b. I presumed he meant the chassis we had worked on at Pemberton but that wasn't it. Seems that there was an older gentleman who acquired another N6b from CR back in the '70s. He had it moved to his back yard in Hainesport, NJ, not far from where the Pemberton car was also located. He wanted to use it for his HO trains, which apparently he did as far as storing them in there. By the time we got to it, it was in very sad shape. The roof was gone as was the walls on the street end of the car. We took it apart and had the chassis moved to a location where we could finish taking it apart and begin the restoration process. Well, as the summer progressed, so did we. The chassis is in paint awaiting the arrival of the sills beams so we can start putting it back together.

Here are some photos:

Later!
Mr. Ed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Preservation/N6B-6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2017, 10:35am by Mr._Ed » Logged
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Saving another N6b
  N6b.jpg - 669603 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2017, 10:37am »

Guess you can only post one photo per post. Here is what it looked like when we started.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (669603 bytes, 1200x1600 pixels)

Click Here to View Image N6b.jpg - 669603 Bytes

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

N6b-1.jpg - 73850 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11th, 2017, 10:39am »

The interior:

Later!
Mr. Ed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Preservation/N6b-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Henry
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11th, 2017, 10:41am »

That's quite a project! The frame looks nice so far.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13th, 2017, 11:36am »

Thanks. The wood for the sills has been ordered and should be on site in a few weeks. We are using rough sawn Douglas fir since that is the only way we can get full dimension lumber. The sills are 4" x 8" and 4" x 6".

Later!
Mr. Ed

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13th, 2017, 6:26pm »

Thanks Mr. Ed for saving another part of our railroad history. Boy, you sure did not have much to start with !   Great work and "thanks".   Keith

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2017, 10:13am »

You're welcome. It wasn't just me. There were five of us at the outset but lately just two of us. But we have a group of young folks that are willing to pitch in in the days we start to erect walls and the roof. Funny point is that from what information we can garner, this car was built in 1918 so we would like to have it finished in 2018. Huge goal but one that gives us something to shoot for.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2018, 11:36am »

The wood order got held up and it arrived three weeks ago. So two Saturdays ago, we started cutting on the edge sill plate and got one fitted ready for drilling for the mounting bolts (which we have) and we should have it in place on the next decent workday.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Henry
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2018, 1:02pm »

Did anyone take photos?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:55am »

Let's try this again. We did take photos but I am having trouble resizing them and getting the reply to post.

Saturday we cut out the wood for the rivet heads for the other side sill. We began drilling out the mounting holes when I broke the only 12" drill bit we had. Our next visit we hope to get that side done and mounted. Both sides will have to come off to get stained and preserved but according to the Thompson can the wood is too wet yet. It is drying but not dry enough.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:01am »

After two failed attempts to resize, it is evident that I have forgotten how to do it so sadly, there will be no photos today.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Henry
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Apr 2nd, 2018, 1:10pm »

Mr. Ed,

IrfanView is a free image processing program that you can use on your computer rather than using our online photo resizer. It is pretty easy to use. Just be sure to Save As a different file name or work on a copy of the photo so you still have the original unmolested photo.

https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Henry

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16th, 2018, 10:47am »

Thank you Henry. I'll look into it. What's puzzling is that I used your resizer in the past but as I get older, I get dumber.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:38am »

Got a good day in last Saturday. Very time consuming chore is drilling clearance holes through the side sills to accept the down rods that hold the side wall in place. We are drilling 1-1/2" holes through the 7" height of the sills. 10 to a side. We got one side done and only have 7 more on the other side but the spade bits got dull so I brought them home to sharpen. Next day will see that chore get finished and then we can start on the center sills. Lots of holes to drill there as well but they are 5/8" so they should go quicker.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_3618.jpg - 388140 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:42am »

Here is a photo of teh chassis with the side sills visible. The center sills are under the tarp.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (388140 bytes, 1224x1632 pixels)

Click Here to View Image IMG_3618.jpg - 388140 Bytes

Henry
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Apr 23rd, 2018, 12:39pm »

That's a lot of big holes!

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Apr 24th, 2018, 11:24am »

Yes it is. But think about the original build when they drilled all of these with a brace and bit! WOW!

Thanks for standing the photo up.  

And yes, that is another N6b chassis behind the one we are working on. That is the one that got this project started. We will take all usable parts off of it and then scrap what's left since it is such horrible condition. All of the edge beams are rusted through.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2018, 11:26am by Mr._Ed » Logged
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

center_sills.jpg - 613680 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30th, 2018, 10:24am »

Sharpened the bits and found a nice set of Erwin spiral bits that cut through the wood like butter. Forgot my saw so we drilled the holes in the center sills to finish the day. It is starting to look like something. Nice to think that in a few weeks we will laying the first layer of flooring. The center sills are just laying in place in the photo. Have to cut them to length and seal them before we can bolt them down.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (613680 bytes, 1600x2845 pixels)

Click Here to View Image center_sills.jpg - 613680 Bytes

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: May 12th, 2018, 4:39pm »

A beautiful day at the farm today. Got four of the center sills in place. The very center sill will require quite a bit of work since we have to drill new holes in the chassis as well as the sill itself. The ones we put in are darned near level with just s few spots requiring shims. I was going to take a picture but forgot. Then I looked at the last one I posted and you really cannot tell that they aren't bolted in place. Next week, center sill then it's on to flooring!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »