Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:54am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Can someone identify this train car?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Can someone identify this train car?  (Read 147 times)
mwu
TRAINing
View Profile  

train-car1.jpg - 459882 Bytes
« on: Apr 3rd, 2014, 2:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello, this is my first post here. I haven't really been into trains for most of my life, but my son is obsessed. I work in downtown Charleston, SC. My office used to be right next to a train yard which carries BMWs in on autoracks to the docks where they are then driven into a very large parking lot / staging area and then later driven onto a ship for transport. My office has since moved, but only a couple of blocks away. It was neat working in a building on the bay. When the cargo ships came by, it was strange -- They would fill most of the window, so it was like working in an office building where a skyscraper was moving across your view.

When going to and from work, I pass those train cars and occasionally I see a very odd-looking one. There are actually two which are similar to one another. One that is painted red and one that is painted blue. I have attached a photo I took of the blue one today. Each one looks like it is composed of two linked parts which look the same, but facing opposite directions so that it appears mirror-imaged. It seems to have some hydraulically moved parts, but traffic on that road is never so bad that I can sit and analyze what it might do. I think the two apparently linked parts might actually be a whole because I've never seen just one part by itself -- they are always paired this way.

After resizing the image, I'm not sure you can make out the lettering on the side, but on the larger copy I can and it reads "WECX 801".

Curiosity has been killing me -- I'd really like to know what this is and what it does.

Btw, in the background of the picture you can see the Ravenel bridge and a crane used for loading cargo onto ships. I've never seen the crane in use because they mostly just drive the cars onto the ships that come. The picture is taken looking toward the bay.

Thanks,
Marcus

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (459882 bytes, 1306x979 pixels)

Click Here to View Image train-car1.jpg - 459882 Bytes

mwu
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Can someone identify this train car?
  train-car2.jpg - 283806 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2014, 2:55pm »

Here is a picture of the red version... It is a very poor image, though. This was taken in the back seat while moving and we were much closer to it so it is not only a blurry photo, but also not the entire car.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (283806 bytes, 1469x1102 pixels)

Click Here to View Image train-car2.jpg - 283806 Bytes

RobR
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2014, 3:05pm »

That is called a Schnabel car.  It is for extremely heavy loads.  The two halves separate, and the load is attached between them.  I believe that the weight of the load pushes down, pivoting the vertical sides of the halves in toward the load, thus squeezing the load and supporting it.

A Google search will get you a lot more information.

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
mwu
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2014, 3:19pm »

Yes, I should have googled it as soon as I found the markings on it... The following two sites provide a lot of info:

http://southern.railfan.net/schnabel/cars/wecx801/wecx801.html
http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/wecx-801-is-the-worlds-largest-railcar?reply=21984675479934671#21984675479934671

Apparently it is one of the largest railcars. I think the red one I saw may have been CEBX 800. The markings are blurred, though.

It doesn't sound like there are many of these running around. It's neat to see something somewhat unique

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2014, 3:20pm by mwu » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »