Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 3:10pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Charter Specials - Photo or Video?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Charter Specials - Photo or Video?  (Read 113 times)
bigjim4life
Historian

« on: May 16th, 2011, 11:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was wondering something - what are people's preferences, photos or video, during photo charters?  What are your reasoning?  And what do you do with these photos/videos?  There are times when I see a lot of photos/video online, and there are other times when there is nothing posted at all.  For example, I haven't seen much from the recent Cass and WMSR charters posted online.  Is it that people are just keeping them for their own purposes?  Or are people preferring one medium over the other and not really posting?

For example, I attended the Lerro Productions Wilmington and Western photo charter trip in January.  There were a few video people there, but mostly still photos.  I've seen only two or so other videos from the event - a fair amount of pictures too.  I did video for the most part, took a couple photos as well...I'm more of a video guy, I guess.  I love reliving the sights and sounds, myself.

Thoughts?

photoman475
Historian
Re: Charter Specials - Photo or Video?

« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2011, 8:36am »

I'm not much into video-I've never been able to really master the cameras the way I have 35mm SLR cameras.

As a result, I've stayed with still photography.  I have the equipment I need for it and produce results that are satisfactory to me.   Should I ever go to a digital SLR format, I'll have the lenses I need.

Perhaps these newer digital SLRs with video might work for me, but it's going to be a while before I can possible afford to buy one.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2011, 10:02pm »

Whichever one floats your boat, seems to me. Modern digital video is a lot handier (and immendesly cheaper) than 8, Super 8 or 16mm flim. Me, i grew upo with 35mm and still feel unsure with electric cameras. Heavy, bulky and all that as it is - i still like my old Pentax. Or sometimes my Leica IIIf, which is real handy for grabbing shots and tkes a supeb picture.

wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: May 23rd, 2011, 8:38pm »

Why not both at the same time? Tripods allow for all kinds of flexibility.

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2011, 11:45am »

Tripods do allow for flexibilty, but having tried to do video and stills at the same time, all I did was fail at both.

For that reason, I'll pick what I'm best at-35mm stills-and stick with that.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »