Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 3:15pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Richard Steiheimer, R.I.P.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Richard Steiheimer, R.I.P.  (Read 56 times)
photoman475
Historian

« on: May 11th, 2011, 8:19am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It is with regret and sadness that I report to the forum the death of Richard Steinheimer on May 4th, 2011.  

He was one of the giants of railroad photography, being one of the first to go into night photography.  He also was a leader in showing the human side of railroading.

Sympathies go to his wife, Shirley Burman, a noted railroad photographer in her own right, and to the family.

Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: Richard Steiheimer, R.I.P.

« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2011, 1:16am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is very sad news.  It is hard to imagine a railfan anywhere who has not been enriched by his images, whether they examined the photo credits or not.  (Here's a test:  Select a railroad book that's been on your shelf for a few years, and pick out your "favorite" photos  -- the ones that "grab you"--  there's an excellent chance you'll encounter Richard Steinheimer's name more than once.)

I never had the honor of meeting Mr. Steinheimer, but every interview or snippet I have seen and heard bears testimony to a genuinely warm and humble man.  As an artist, he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as O. Winston Link and Ansel Adams (though he himself might dismiss such comparisons as preposterous).

I sincerely hope that history gives him his due.

Hushed regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2011, 1:23am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »