Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 3:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What can I do with slides
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What can I do with slides  (Read 108 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Jan 21st, 2011, 8:05am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I am constantly seeing slides of my favorite fallen flag on Ebay, they are cheap and very historic. But my question is what can I do with them?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
photoman475
Historian
Re: What can I do with slides

« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 10:47am »

Towny:

One possibility is to buy the slides, scan them for yourself, and then consider donating them to a local historical society, a university's regional history center, or your favorite fallen flag's historical society (or closely related one).

Alan

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 3:42pm »

Thanks Alan,  

If im thinking of the slides that we used when I was in school they are very small. So if I were to scan them I could then print them in 4*6 photos etc?

moocow

a7.jpg - 479596 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 7:05pm »

assuming we're talking about 35 mm slides like Kodachrome or ektachrome there is no reason not to buy slides and have them printed.  

Kodachromes will probably last forever (or at least beyond my lifetime) but my older ekatchromes are starting to fade

also i recently bought a slide/b&W-color negative 5mp scanner for about $35 from cowboom (best buys) and am going through my 40 year old kodachromes and scanning the best 10%.  the scan is good enough for most uses but some detail will be lost especially in shadow areas and contrasty photos.  

i'm attaching a 35 mm B&W converted straight from the negative to digital and you can judge the results... btw thats a 1978 photo of Narragansett Pier No 40 a Vulcan product
remember this is only a 5mp scan so i doubt you'd have a problem making 4x6 prints or even 8x10  
remember that film, either negative or slide, has greater absolute resolution than the best digital equipment available.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (479596 bytes, 2400x1600 pixels)

Click Here to View Image a7.jpg - 479596 Bytes

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2011, 8:34pm by moocow » Logged

steve b
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 7:17pm »

Towny:

You can get them printed at any reputable photo place.  Once scanned, you could email the scanned images off to be printed.

Yes, 4x6 prints can be made.  If you do that, just be aware that you have some detail loss-probably not much, but some-as moocow said.  You may also have some overexposure on the prints.  That will depend in large part on the skill of the print machine's operator.  At a place like WalMart or Target, that is more likely.

If you do scan them, always try to scan them at the highest resolution possible.  This will help maintain as much detail as possible should you decide to get prints made from the scans.  The higher the resolution, the better the final print will look; also, if you want to make a larger print, such as 8x12, you will still get good results.

Hope this helps-if you need more info or have more questions, let ke know.

Alan

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:34am »

Guys thank you for the information. I think I will go ahead and pic up a few slides off Ebay and give it a try.  

Im sure I will be back with a few questions once I get the slides.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »