Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:54am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Going Away
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   Going Away
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Going Away  (Read 1089 times)
cn2220
Historian
Re: Going Away

« Reply #20 on: May 4th, 2009, 2:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Some going away shots.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

H773_at_MP25.jpg - 116951 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: May 4th, 2009, 9:15pm »

Does it still count if he was just going far enough away to throw the switch and then come back? H773-04, Peninsula Sub., MP 25, 5/4/09.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/H773_at_MP25.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
RobR
Historian
  Going_Away_800.jpg - 380793 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: May 4th, 2009, 9:24pm »

The daily eastbound (I think) mixed freight runs past an abandoned car shop on its way to Grafton, WV.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (380793 bytes, 533x800 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Going_Away_800.jpg - 380793 Bytes

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Jul 11th, 2009, 1:30pm »

Switching has plenty of back-up moves, which allows for going away shots like this one. The Rochester & Southern is backing across Behan Road as the crew assembles a train at the Brooks Avenue yard:

Photo taken by me Monday 7/6/2009 in Chili, NY.  

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2010, 5:34pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
The_Rat
Historian
  _DSC2735-1.jpg - 288709 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 6:51pm »

Going away, or passing shots, are worthless.

The last page plus has reassured that opinion.

Thats why I like where I live. A helper district!

Do you think I would have snapped the shutter on an EOT?  

Nope

The Rat

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/_DSC2735-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

RobR
Historian
  HeadingHome.jpg - 68172 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 10:55pm »

Dan,

I can't agree with you, or with any sweeping generalization about railroad photography (or any kind of photography).  (See my signature below.)  I agree that many of the shots on this thread are less than spectacular, but there are some here I am very glad to have gotten the chance to see.

There are opportunities everywhere, in every kind of light.  It's true that there are more of them in some places than in others, but we should keep our eyes open and our cameras ready!

Just for the heck of it, here's  another of my favorites.

RobR

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/HeadingHome.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
The_Rat
Historian
  _DSC2361.jpg - 231141 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Aug 20th, 2009, 4:52pm »

About the only passing shot I can even think of, that would be worth anything, that I have on print is the rear of  PIEN at the Horseshoe Curve. There were two wrecked boxcars on the rear.

Anything else I have, I wouldn't post in my cats litter box. Now, I don't even consider a passing shot.

I see people taking an image of the headend of a train, then once it passes, they turn and frame and "click", end up with garbage.

Attached image is of the rear of 227 on a very sunny Sunday April 12, 2009.

I like helpers and often find the rear of the train is often more intresting than the head end.

The Rat

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/_DSC2361.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Aug 21st, 2009, 5:32pm »

on Aug 20th, 2009, 4:52pm, The_Rat wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Attached image is of the rear of 227 on a very sunny Sunday April 12, 2009.
But if you knew nothing of the area would you know if the train was coming or going? Not trying to start anything, just a thought.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #28 on: Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:00am »

on Aug 19th, 2009, 6:51pm, The_Rat wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Going away, or passing shots, are worthless.

Do you think I would have snapped the shutter on an EOT?  

Nope

The Rat

A "Going Away" photo isn't always about the rear of the train.  Take the photo that I included earlier in the thread.  I agree that the technical qualities are sub-par and probably would not be accepted with RP's standards today, but I don't think the blurring would have the same effect as a standard wedge.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Apr 8th, 2010, 5:39pm »

Sorry, Rat, I disagree. Going away shots can be very interesting. Case in point: this switch job at Bison Yard was backing up with 4 locomotives shoving. How can that not be interesting?

Photo taken by Sturday 3/20/2010 in Cheektowaga, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

RobR
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 11:21am »

Perhaps I should change the rules of this thread.  I don't think a shot of a helper shoving on a train should be included, since nobody who wasn't there can tell if the train is coming or going.  For the purposes of this thread, a "going away" shot should be defined as a photograph of a train in which unpowered cars are closer to the camera than the locomotive, or in which the rear of the locomotive is closer to the camera than the front of the locomotive.

RobR

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Apr 11th, 2010, 8:51am »

No RobR, you do not need to change the rules of this thread.  

There is one person posting who has been rather vociferious in his objections to this type of photo.  I agree with Matt on this one.

I have no doubt that the poster I've referred to would complain about the photo I have on my cubicle wall of a TP&W C424 taken in 1983.  It's the middle loco of three involved in switching moves at a grain elevator.  It's one of the few photos I have of these rare locos.  Since it's a going away shot, I'm assuming the poster would not have taken it becasue it's not "interesting".  

In my 40-plus years of photography, I've learned that what counts is that it's the image the person holding the camera has in their head when they are taking the photo, and the circumstances involved at the time.

Photography is as much art as science.    

XBNSFer
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 9:50pm »

I'd have to agree that sweeping generalizations about what makes for "good" photos are not going to make "good" photographers. They are more likely to make photography more mediocre, since they tend to push everyone to do things the same way.

I'd be curious to know if the vociferous one would have "snapped" on a caboose back in the days before EOTs. The vociferous one, while making quick judgment about the quality of the going away shots of others in this post, might also try using a level so that his helper doesn't look like it's leaning into...a straightaway.

"I'm with ya Manny...I'm with ya till the wheels come off" - Eric Roberts, "Runaway Train"
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 7:24pm »

Good points, XBNSFer and Photoman. Photography is a "subjective" activity. It is as much about the things we like as it is about the quality of the image itself. Case in point: I enjoy watching Amtrak running through the Rochester area. The following image really captures the feeling of Empire Service heading west on a muggy late spring afternoon, IMO:

Photo taken by me Saturday 6/19/2010 at Chili Junction.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Jul 1st, 2010, 11:55am »

Matt & XBNSF:

Photography will always be a subjective activity.  It's really not that different in many respects from a piece of art or a dance routine or music.

For instance, my 16-year-old daughter thinks of hip hop as a dance routine-which I do not always agree with.  I don't argue too much, since she's the one taking dance lessons and not me, and should have a better idea of what she is talking about than I do.

I have this suspicion that digital photography has actually made things worse for photographers rather than improved them.  Take the level problem referred to XBNSF's post.  It may very well be that the camera itself is not level, and it's just as likely that there is a problem with the computer programming inside the camera causing the leaning, not level look.  Or, it may not have downloaded properly from the camera to the computer.  Hard to tell in the digital age, since I am guessing that the photo was taken with a digital.  

Alan

XBNSFer
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Jul 11th, 2010, 12:10am »

on Jul 1st, 2010, 11:55am, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matt & XBNSF:

Photography will always be a subjective activity.  It's really not that different in many respects from a piece of art or a dance routine or music.

For instance, my 16-year-old daughter thinks of hip hop as a dance routine-which I do not always agree with.  I don't argue too much, since she's the one taking dance lessons and not me, and should have a better idea of what she is talking about than I do.

I have this suspicion that digital photography has actually made things worse for photographers rather than improved them.  Take the level problem referred to XBNSF's post.  It may very well be that the camera itself is not level, and it's just as likely that there is a problem with the computer programming inside the camera causing the leaning, not level look.  Or, it may not have downloaded properly from the camera to the computer.  Hard to tell in the digital age, since I am guessing that the photo was taken with a digital.  

Alan

I very much doubt the "computer programming"  or downloading caused the shot to be crooked. I use dSLRs as well as film, and a level shot always comes out level. Generally, the failure to use a tripod (and level the camera) is the culprit, which is often due to the reliance on "image stabilization" gadgets of whatever sort in modern cameras as an excuse to not use a tripod (if you'd like to blame it on gadgetry of some sort, that is the most likely cause - hand holding the camera).

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2010, 12:11am by XBNSFer » Logged

"I'm with ya Manny...I'm with ya till the wheels come off" - Eric Roberts, "Runaway Train"
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Jul 11th, 2010, 8:05am »

XBNSF:

I have no doubt that you're right-that the culprit is hand-holding the camera.  

I do tech support for a living, and would not be surprised if technology caused the problem.  From doing this job, I've learned that technology can't always be trusted!

A tripod with a level bubble on it will always be the best way to go, and if possible, one that is weighted down to help keep it steady.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:22pm »

About two months ago, I had a great day chasing out in the Buffalo area. This is the Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR heading down the old B&O/BR&P at Buffalo Creek Junction:

Photo taken by me Friday 7/30/2010 at Tifft Street in Buffalo, NY. In the interests of verifying this train move as going away from me, interested parties are welcome to view the entire album: http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Erielackawanna/BfloCrkJct07302010/

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

NS_at_Selma_NC.jpg - 155595 Bytes
« Reply #38 on: Apr 3rd, 2011, 9:21pm »

Here we have quite the collection of motive power. BNSF #9143, a SD70ACe leads NS #7640, an ES40DC and NS #3399, a SD40-2 as the train leaves Selma, NC on the afternoon of 3/22/11. They are passing NS #2670, a SD70M-2 and an ex-UP #9122, a Dash8-40C. I say "ex" because it is not listed on the UP roster I checked.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/NS_at_Selma_NC.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

CSX_328_Eastbound_at_Grove.jpg - 112454 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 6:36am »

Empties westbound at "Grove" on CSXT's Peninsula Sub. They will be stopping at "Toppings" to wait on an eastbound. 8/31/11
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/CSX_328_Eastbound_at_Grove.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »