Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:59am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

O.Winston Link: Legend
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   O.Winston Link: Legend
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: O.Winston Link: Legend  (Read 938 times)
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: O.Winston Link: Legend

« Reply #40 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 12:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi All,

Some words of wisdom: Do not even try to be exactly like OWL. Develop your own skills and artistry. Above all, be an artist, not a Snapshot expert. But, develop your OWN style. Remember styles change, there is progress and that opens up all sorts of opportunities. And opportunities are what you need and are looking for. These days you can create what OWL could not. You can feed your photo into your computer and perform all sorts of miracles that OWL couldn't even imagine. And yes, you can still manipulate the photo in the developing process, printing process etc.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 1:06pm »

on Mar 24th, 2007, 12:48pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Some words of wisdom: Do not even try to be exactly like OWL...  

Pennsy -

Concur, absolutely! We mustn't forget a parallel to the O.W.L. efforts seen in the local theaters as Cecil B. DeMille films! No, that can't be replicated with a seller's rebate included present day video camera! O.W.L. went about his works with deep pockets. Not a game for the dilettante!

And, yes, we'll always have the smack the ball around players, who dream of a Green Jacket, too!

............................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #42 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 2:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Fellows: I am certain that, even though he'd be quite flattered at how many aspiring rail photographers sought to emulate his technique and style, I strongly feel that he would also encourage others to EXPERIMENT on their own, and to develop their OWN style. If a rail photographer discovers.......and hones his own techniques.......he is sure to find not only his own distinct style, but also, find a deep sense of personal satisfaction as well.   John

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #43 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 7:10pm »

Very true words. We should come up with our own stuuf rather than copying thsi photos(Kind of if you know what I mean)

Anthony

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #44 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 9:13pm »

Fellows: Talk about deja vu: At a flea market today at a local church, I was browsing through a table of $2.00 video tapes. I came across one from the History Channel about steam trains. Well, I went home and popped it into the VCR and found out that what I bought was worth far, far more than what I paid for it. Not only did I get incredible footage (and tech stats) on various steamers (GREAT Steamtown stuff!!), I got a true bonus........AN INTERVIEW WITH O.W. LINK HIMSELF!!! He not only talked about his photographs and the work involved in taking them, but, he also talked about the AUDIO recordings he made, on a big, bulky, reel-to-reel recorder! Man,  talk about "bonus material"!!

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 9:28pm »

on Mar 24th, 2007, 9:13pm, O. WINSTON LINK esq. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
               Fellows: Talk about deja vu: At a flea market today at a local church, I was browsing through a table of $2.00 video tapes. I came across one from the History Channel about steam trains. Well, I went home and popped it into the VCR and found out that what I bought was worth far, far more than what I paid for it. Not only did I get incredible footage (and tech stats) on various steamers (GREAT Steamtown stuff!!), I got a true bonus........AN INTERVIEW WITH O.W. LINK HIMSELF!!! He not only talked about his photographs and the work involved in taking them, but, he also talked about the AUDIO recordings he made, on a big, bulky, reel-to-reel recorder! Man,  talk about "bonus material"!!
He also took some movies, but I don't know what equipment he used for those.  I remember seeing some footage that was taken from the tender looking over the cab roof.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #46 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 9:36pm »

CHESSIEMIKE: That I DID NOT know! I'll tell ya ONE thing.....I certainly would not mind seeing what movies he made along the old N&W.......

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #47 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 9:52pm »

Here's another "Link link" I just came across: http://www.louisianalink.net/gallery.html

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #48 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 9:57pm »

See also: www.linkmuseum.org/store.html

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2007, 10:00pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #49 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 10:06pm »

Some more interesting reading on Link: http://www.railpage.com.au/f-p254221.htm

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #50 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 10:14pm »

The Master at work: http://www.dumjahn.de/gfx/autorenlexikon/link.jpg

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2007, 10:15pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 5:05pm »

on Mar 24th, 2007, 9:36pm, O. WINSTON LINK esq. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
                        CHESSIEMIKE: That I DID NOT know! I'll tell ya ONE thing.....I certainly would not mind seeing what movies he made along the old N&W.......

I think the Trains That Passed in the Night video is where I learned this. I don't have a copy of it to check though.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 6:56pm »

I quite agree with finding your own "brand" of rail photography, I do this myself. I don't think anyone anymore could straight up duplicate OWL's work anyway. My "brand" of rail photography is quite different than OWL's, and while I greatly enjoy his photography, I have never really been moved to take a photo which relatively duplicates one of his (not that I could). If there is one shared element between him and me, it's that in our photos, we try to make the surroundings just as important as the train.

I think that's what makes his shots just so special. It's not just about the train, but the interaction the railroad had in the everyday (or night!) lives of the people who lived along the line. The railroad was truly a part of their lives, and OWL's photographs punctuated that. That would be nearly impossible to duplicate today, when the public tries everything to get those "ugly smelly" trains away from them. The only interaction they have is if they get stopped at a railroad crossing! Today, they grade separate rail lines, put up sound walls...you'd almost think that trains were the worst thing that ever happened. Not so in Link's day, when railroads were everything, especially to those small coal mining communities. Many have commented that Link recorded a way of life that has died. Sure the cars have changed and the gas pumps have gone, but the biggest death has been the public's love and intertwinment with railroads. Link was the only one, to my knowledge, who effectively recorded this. And today it is as gone as the steam locomotives that were in his shots. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets a knot in thier throat with this in mind while viewing his pictures.

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2007, 7:00pm by zwsplac » Logged

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #53 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 9:55pm »

zwsplac: You made some very timely (and accurate) points. Not only is there a sizeable chunk of the American population who has never even ridden aboard a train, the dreaded NIMBYs are all-too-vocal about keeping "noisy, dirty, intrusive trains"  out of their neighborhoods. Far too many whiners buy houses adjacent to an active rail line, knowing FULL WELL that the tracks are in service, but, when trains sound their horns at grade crossings as a safety precaution to both motorists and pedestrians, they are all up in arms about "that horrible noise that keeps them awake at night". WELL, DUH!!! Why buy a house near a railroad if you are going to go nuts every time a train passes? I'd LOVE to see these crybaby whiners live alongside a bustlin', hustlin' multi-tracked main line about 60 years ago!!!!! Man, they'd go insane inside of five minutes!!  Anyway, getting "back on track" to O. W. Link: This ingenious fellow did far more than record the waning days of an honest-to-gosh-grit-and-glory-steam-cinders-and-smoke railroad....he also captured a bygone way of life that was fast waning even in the 1950s. Link managed to forever capture on film timeless images of overall-clad hoggers and firemen grooming their graceful iron horses......elderly tower operators still yanking those heavy, ancient, time-worn levers.......local folks clustered around the potbellied stove in an archaic, cheery general store......service station attendents pumping gas from antiquated glass-topped pumps.......tower interiors where the newest piece of hardware was a circa 1922 candlestick telephone.......yes, without a doubt, link might have set out originally simply to capture the twilight days of N&W steam, but, as it turned out, he also docomented a way of life that simply does not exist any longer. And, for that reason alone, we can be eternally grateful to the late, great O. Winston Link.      John

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2007, 9:57pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Jan 16th, 2010, 11:59pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:47pm, TAB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Posters…Perhaps a tad off topic but O.W. Link related are the three photos that follow. They were taken in the late 1950s at The Elizabethport Shops. On leaving the site, I had to check out at the yard masters office. I asked someone who was there about the canvas covered equipment. I was told they were owned by someone named O.W. Link. I guess he knew what he was talking about however any corrections or additional information about these pieces of equipment would be most welcome…Tom

Well it seems the Link locomotive is up for sale as of Nov. 2009:

"CPR class D4g 4-6-0 once owned by O. Winston Link is for sale. The locomotive is located at 494 French Road, Utica, NY"

CHESSIEMIKE

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Jan 17th, 2010, 6:07pm »

I've always admired his photographs. He had a great photographic eye. I was trained by a friend that was a professional photographer, and always preferred to shoot in color. His black and white shots are excellent, but I always felt that they would be even better in color. As my photographer friend taught me, Always be an artist, not just someone that snaps pictures. Be artistic.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Jan 18th, 2010, 12:13pm »

Pennsy -  

I don't necessarily agree. I had the unique experience where I was patient of a sole practitioner dentist. His wife had, in fact, worked for  
the esteemed O.W.L., while she resided in New York...

There is such a thing as film noir. Might we suppose the celebrated Mr. Link knew what he was doing? The B&W media carries the  
baggage, "...the end is near..." about all of it?

(Besides, how much color is there to report in trains of black locomitives hauling black coal hoppers? <G>)

Waxing poetic this a.m....... Vern.............

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2010, 12:21pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Jan 20th, 2010, 2:55pm »

Uh, just for the record, Link also shot in color.
CHESSIEMIKE

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Green_Cove_at_night.jpg - 58036 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: May 31st, 2010, 11:35pm »

Here is homage to Link. A night shot of a location he made famous, but to my knowledge he never made a night shot here.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/Green_Cove_at_night.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

CP_453_small.jpg - 131673 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Jan 16th, 2016, 8:44pm »

Thought I would provide an update on the fate of Link's steamer. CP #453, while currently apart with major parts in several different areas, looks to be in good hands. The current owner seems to be in a position to at least get the locomotive back together and possibly put on display at an appropriate venue. I was able to at least see the major parts on 8/13/15.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/CP_453_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »