Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 2:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

O.Winston Link: Legend
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   O.Winston Link: Legend
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: O.Winston Link: Legend  (Read 928 times)
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member
Re: O.Winston Link: Legend

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:43am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Bio of a legend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Winston_Link Also: http://www.soulcatcherstudio.com/artists/link_bio.htm

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:48am by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:52am »

There seems to be no shortage whatsoever of fascinating info on the late, great Mr. Link! http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/4aa/4aa494a.htm

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:53am by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi John,

That is called recognition of genius. Lots of accolades and awards.

Don't forget that he is not the Lone Ranger. Add to that list Herb Sullivan, of Sullivan's Curve fame, and Dick Steinheimer, of Stein's Hill fame. Both outcroppings are on the Cajon Pass route.  

Did O.W.L (OWL) ever have an outcropping or some landmark named after him

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:46pm by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
TAB
Historian
  Link_Engine01.jpg - 100165 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:47pm »

Hey Posters…Perhaps a tad off topic but O.W. Link related are the three photos that follow. They were taken in the late 1950s at The Elizabethport Shops. On leaving the site, I had to check out at the yard masters office. I asked someone who was there about the canvas covered equipment. I was told they were owned by someone named O.W. Link. I guess he knew what he was talking about however any corrections or additional information about these pieces of equipment would be most welcome…Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/Link_Engine01.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
TAB
Historian
  Link_Engine_02.jpg - 112475 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:49pm »

Next

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/Link_Engine_02.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Link_Car.jpg - 159642 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:50pm »

Last

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/Link_Car.jpg
Click Image to Resize

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:22pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:37pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi John,

That is called recognition of genius. Lots of accolades and awards.

Don't forget that he is not the Lone Ranger. Add to that list Herb Sullivan, of Sullivan's Curve fame, and Dick Steinheimer, of Stein's Hill fame. Both outcroppings are on the Cajon Pass route.  

Did O.W.L (OWL) ever have an outcropping or some landmark named after him

Hi, Pennsy: You are right.......there were other old-time rail photogs also whose works truly stirred up some strong emotions......gifted fellows all!!  John

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #27 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:29pm »

Hey, Tom: WOW!!!!!! Those pics are INCREDIBLE!!!!!! That old steamer was a real looker, and that ancient wooden combo would have made a great addition to any tourist railroad! It would be nothing short of fantastic if anyone could provide any info on that old engine and combo! Wonder what Mr. Link had planned to do with them? I'm sure some folks do not know that, as a young fellow, Mr. Link would travel via subway and ferry to Jersey City, where he often visited CNJ's C-Paw engine terminal, as well as the Jersey City passenger terminal itself. So, in a way, it comes as no surprise that Mr. Link had ties with the CNJ!! Thanks again for posting these pics! Awesome!     John

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:31pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:10pm »

Hi John,

You are confusing me once again, and I assume lots of others. How about choosing a screen name and sticking with it I have to try to interpret what I am reading each time I see a new screen name for you. Didn't you like Raritan Clocker  Next time try Dingleberry. At least that one I will instantly recognize.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #29 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:21pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:10pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi John,

You are confusing me once again, and I assume lots of others. How about choosing a screen name and sticking with it I have to try to interpret what I am reading each time I see a new screen name for you. Didn't you like Raritan Clocker  Next time try Dingleberry. At least that one I will instantly recognize.

Pennsy: I am sorry that you are confused, and I do apologize. However, I did not realize certain people were keeping tabs on my handle changes, nor am I fond of the term "dingleberry". It's been a few months since my last name change, and I don't see it as bieng that big a deal. I even posted a notice in The Concourse explaining the latest change, so others would know. I could care less if someone keeps the same handle for five years, or changes every so often. It's the character of the poster and the content of the posts which matters.   John

Henry
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 3:11pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:10pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi John,

Now play nice Alan, no name calling!

John posts enough to be four people so maybe it is fitting that he has several noms de plume

Henry

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 3:31pm »

Hi, Henry: Hey...don't give me TOO much credit....I only post enough for THREE people.......    With the vast amount of fascinating subjects here, as well as the host of highly-knowledgeable (that let's me out!) members here, you can really get addicted to posting! For me, especially, still suffering the aftereffects of 9/11, posting here can be really theraputic for me. And my friends here have truly helped me to bear up to some really difficult times. And, for that, I'm truly grateful! John

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:16pm »

Really cool links and pics John and Tom Oh and John, thanks for posting so much. I enjoy reading your thougths

Anthony

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:56pm »

Hi, Anthony: You are more than welcome, my friend! Glad you enjoyed the posts and my thoughts.....   John  (and, of course, a big THANKS to our good friend Tom, for posting those super-rare pics!!)

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:57pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 9:28pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:47pm, TAB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Posters…Perhaps a tad off topic but O.W. Link related are the three photos that follow. They were taken in the late 1950s at The Elizabethport Shops. On leaving the site, I had to check out at the yard masters office. I asked someone who was there about the canvas covered equipment. I was told they were owned by someone named O.W. Link. I guess he knew what he was talking about however any corrections or additional information about these pieces of equipment would be most welcome…Tom
Yes, these items belonged to O. W. Link.  Here is a spot with a little more information:
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=917

I understand one of the last shots O.W. Link tried to take with some of his original equipment was of himself with this locomotive.  I say tried because something went wrong and the photo did not turn out.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #35 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 12:03am »

Fellows: I just did a little research, and here's what I came up with: a number of years back, Link's engine was moved from Green Pond up to the Rome Locomotive Works. As of 2005, Link's No. 453 was re-located to a fenced-in track next to the K&K Train & Hobby at Utica, NY. However, her boiler jacket was missing as well as her valve gear.

TAB
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 3:55am »

Hey CHESSIEMIKE…Thanks for the conformation in your Reply # 34. I glad to know that my memory is still in tact and that I’m not hallucinating. Thanks for the link as well. I think it’s kind of spooky that I was able to photograph an engine that not only was owned my Mr. Link but he unsuccessfully attempted to photograph.  

Hey John…Thanks for the update on the engine. It is amazing that the locomotive may still exist.

…Tom

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 11:04am »

Hi, Tom: You're welcome! Yep, I only hope that the ol' gal is STILL in existence......an engine owned by the late, great Mr. Link certainly MORE than deserves decent preservation.....but, then again, so does EVERY remaining steamer! Let's hope this coal-gulping, steam-breathing "link to Link" has a happy future!  John

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 11:47am »

O.Winston Link is an untouchable in my mind. He took truly one of a kind photos, and no one has come close to duplicating them since. I almost giggle whenever I see a photographers feeble attempt which they say was inspired by OWL...sorry but no cigar, they are never even close. I follow Railpictures.net pretty closely. Rail photographers are a dime a dozen these days, and they all pretty much take the exact same photos. However there are one or two which regularly take different and outstanding photos, and I enjoy their photos a lot. Hopefully, I will put myself in that league some day.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #39 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 11:57am »

on Mar 24th, 2007, 11:47am, zwsplac wrote:       (Click here for original message)
O.Winston Link is an untouchable in my mind. He took truly one of a kind photos, and no one has come close to duplicating them since. I almost giggle whenever I see a photographers feeble attempt which they say was inspired by OWL...sorry but no cigar, they are never even close. I follow Railpictures.net pretty closely. Rail photographers are a dime a dozen these days, and they all pretty much take the exact same photos. However there are one or two which regularly take different and outstanding photos, and I enjoy their photos a lot. Hopefully, I will put myself in that league some day.
     You hit the nail right on the head when you stated that no one has come close to duplicating Link's photographs.....I think his pictures were as dramatic and as atmospheric as they were for two main reasons: Firstly, Link was truly in a league of his own right from the start, and, secondly, he was able to use subject matter (mainline steamers and a true old-time railroad) that simply does not exist any longer. I truly give credit to any rail photographer who tries to emulate Link.....they are, even if they aren't successful, trying to keep his great and timeless legacy alive. Keep on perservering, my friend, and, who knows.....one day your photographic talents might just hit the "big time" as well.   John

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2007, 11:58am by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »