Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

O.Winston Link: Legend
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: O.Winston Link: Legend  (Read 936 times)
JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« on: Mar 21st, 2007, 2:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I came across the links dedicated to the late, great railroad photographer O. Winston Link and wanted to share them here. Certainly, this man was a photographic genius, and all of his breathtaking work was accomplished without any hi-tech, electronic photographic equipment whatsoever.......nothing short of amazing when you see the extraordinary quality of his work. I am sure he's inspired many of today's finest rail photographers with his stunning, moody, atmospheric photos. Enjoy! John   http://www.graflex.org/flash/o-winston-link.html   http://www.linkmuseum.org/ http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/owlink.html

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2007, 9:32pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

Re: O.Winston Link: Legend

« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 4:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi all,
     John, you are very right my friend.  O. Winston Link was a photographic genius.  He is the one inspiration that made me want to take railroad photographs.  I cannot think anyone better to emulate than him.  Although, I'm biased here.  Try as I may, however, I doubt any of my work would past muster with him  I have to agree, there is a moodiness to his photography.  He showed that the railroad not only ran through the community, but was intertwined with it.  Heres to a great photographer and chronicler of steams last days.
Tim

Rangers Lead the Way!

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 4:16pm »

Hi All,

Quite correct. In fact I have used some of his techniques myself in photography. Some of his ideas survived him very nicely.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 4:42pm »

Hey Tim/Pennsy: I am in total agreement with you both. O. Winston Link was indeed not only a photographic genius, but also, a man who thought far ahead of his time. The equipment he used so long ago to capture those dynamic images on film certainly look clunky and old-fashioned today, and yet, they STILL manage to give off an image of both sophistication and advanced technology, albiet in a quite nostalgic sense. O. Winston Link not only captured TRAINS on film......he also captured an ERA......a long-ago era that was already well on its way towards extinction even 50-odd years back. A true genius, without a doubt!!   John

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 6:18pm »

Okay John, Speech time:

Back in the year of the flood, I had a room mate that was a professional photographer. He wanted to learn about Hi Fi and Stereo, and I had just gotten a 35 mm camera, so I wanted to be trained by him. We swapped hobbies. And so, I got professionally trained in photography. Then I saw the works of O. Winston Link, and others and subscribed to some photography magazines. One particular fellow was really big on hand held shots with looonnng lenses. Large telephoto lenses. Trick was to use fast film, high shutter speeds and a camera with a fast lens. Incredible results. And my buddy was even wilder, he took shots of girls doing their thing on the ice skating rink. I would laugh like mad when he would fire off the shot and immediately place his hand over the camera lens, to protect it from the flying ice. The girls loved the photographs, and we, of course, had all the dates we wanted. He used a strobe, high shutter speed, and stopped the ice particles in mid air. Very impressive shots.  

So, like O. Winston Link, the name of the game is to be innovative, imaginative, creative and by all means, think OUTside of the box. And never listen to the fellow that says it can't be done. Like Link, you may just prove him wrong.

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2007, 6:26pm by Pennsy » Logged

JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 8:20pm »

Pennsy: WELL SAID, MY FRIEND!! I'm sure you do Mr. Link QUITE proud with an attitude like that!! Let ingenuity and imagination be your guidelines......and DON'T be afraid to EXPERIMENT!! Keep the legacy of O. Winston Link  alive!!  John

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 2:58am »

Okay John, here is another one, somewhat practical;

Seems that photographs of the kids and Grandkids are getting expensive, even if done by the Sears people. Big objection was that the grandkid was well centered, subject well lit and the pose was from hunger. Guess the photographer didn't have time to coax the kid to a smile and a decent pose. Refused to accept the photos and of course the family attacked me verbally. I said I could do better and would try.

Set the Grand daughter up on the dining room table, placed the home movie screen covered with a nice blue blanket behind her as a back drop, and had the 35 mm SLR on a tripod, made a "gadget" to raise the strobe high above the camera using my old Erector set, to kill the shadows as much as possible, attached the cable release to the camera and I was all set. Had my daughter try to make the Grand daughter strike an acceptable pose, and waited for the right moment. Needless to say, patience won out with a tired daughter and a fast reacting grandpa with the cable release. Got some excellent photos, made all sorts of blow ups, up to 8X10, and lots of wallet size. Used Ritz camera for the processing and prints, blow ups etc.  
The reputation was saved, and a lot of money was saved and we have some great shots of the grandkids.

JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 2:16pm »

Hey, Pennsy: Recall the old saying: ".....there's more than one way to skin a cat"? Well, there ya go! And I'm sure the late, great Mr. Link would have been danged proud of your ingenuity!!   John

JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 2:18pm »

All: Here's another great site dedicated to the legendary O. Winston Link: http://www.carolinaarts.com/winstonlink.html

JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 2:25pm »

Here are some more of Mr. Link's classic works: http://www.artnet.com/artist/10571/o-winston-link.html

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 5:40pm »

Nice links John. those are some really nice photos. I bought a book he wrote showing alot of his pictures and I love it.  

Anthony

JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 7:43pm »

Hi, Anthony:  Glad you enjoyed the links. I have the book, "STEAM, STEEL, AND STARS"...........man, these images really get your adreneline flowin'!!!!!!! Mr. Link really knew his stuff!!   John

MH765
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 7:51pm »

I have "The Last Steam Railroad in America", the updated version of Steam, Steel, and Stars. It was because of OWL that inspired me to start shooting night photos of trains. Of course, my photos are NOTHING compared to the works of Mr Link.

-Mike

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 8:35pm »

O. Winston Link, a legendary person, (?) Can You say under statement!

I also have the book,"The Last Steam Railroad in America" it is verry isperational, it is a real shame that he did not write it him self though.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:21pm »

All: I think one of the things that impresses me the most about Mr. Link's exceptional works is that ALL were taken WITHOUT the use of hi-tech, foreign-made, digital, ultra-sophisticated camera equipment. Using what was available......as well as his own imagination......Mr. Link was able to dramatically capture on film.....for all time.....the sheer drama and heart-pounding excitement of life on........and around........a vanishing steam railroad. The railfans.....and railfan photographers of today......certainly owe a great deal to this ingenious man!    John

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:22pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:19am »

Just came across this: "50 Years Of O. Winston Link Night Photo Shoot/Jan 21 1955-Jan 21 2005". Enjoy! http://www.megley.com/owl50th/

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:54am »

Hi All,

One of the earmarks of  a true genius is how he makes it look simple and easy. Right ?

Check the composition, placement of the camera, etc. etc. Now, does that look easy. Took lots of experience and practice etc etc. to achieve that look. Looks easy and simple, until you try it yourself.

JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:00am »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:54am, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi All,

One of the earmarks of  a true genius is how he makes it look simple and easy. Right ?

Check the composition, placement of the camera, etc. etc. Now, does that look easy. Took lots of experience and practice etc etc. to achieve that look. Looks easy and simple, until you try it yourself.

Hi, Pennsy: I could NOT agree more!! What true railfan/railfan photographer would pass up the chance to travel back 50-odd years in time to work alongside Mr. Link himself?? I know I sure as heck wouldn't pass up THAT oppurtunity for the world!!   John

JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
Former Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:05am »

Here's another great site I came across (TURN ON YOUR SPEAKERS FOR THIS ONE!!) : http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/photography/link/link_container.html

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:15am by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 8:23am »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:54am, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi All,

Hello everyone,
     Pennsy, I couldn't agree with you more.  I had read that he would take weeks, sometimes months to set up a shot.  He would visit the area in daylight several times and look for different angles he would want the shot from.  He would use 2 or 3 cameras on each shot from different angles.  If one can learn anything from him, it is to study the area you are shooting and look at every angle you can possibly get a shot from.  It is almost as if he made the cameras take the pictures for him.  It takes a lot of practice to even start to lookat a scene this way.  I know when I first started to use a medium format camera for rail photos I had more garbage shots than acceptable prints.  Two23, one of the moderators of this board, gave me a bit of advice the same as you mentioned above.  It took about 3 more rolls of garbage, but my mediom format work improved 100% as did my 35mm and digital photography.  Now when I go somewhere for the first time, I look the whole scene over and try to think of different angles and perspectives to shoot from.  I still usually end up with typical shots trackside, but that is mostly due to not wanting to tresspass or get arrested while doing so  It is a visualization process that does take awhile for your mind to get used to.  Once you start doing it, however, it sort of becomes second nature to you when you look at a rail scene.

Rangers Lead the Way!

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »