Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:45am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RailPictures.net
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   RailPictures.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RailPictures.net  (Read 2820 times)
EdM
Railfan
Re: RailPictures.net

« Reply #80 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:25pm »

sl thanks for sharing... I thought it was fine, the view thru the heat from the stack adds to the realizm, but of coarse, it is real.  They say, most emphaticallly that they do not have a quota, methinks they streachist the trooth.  But they do get a whole lot of photos..and they are pretty good..   Should run a contest, he who gets the greatest % of his photos rejected gets a brass whatever with an oak leaf cluster..

a spinner of many antennas, tall tales and outright lies.. de k2lck
siouxline
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #81 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:24pm »

Ha ha!!!  Great idea!

EdM
Railfan

« Reply #82 on: Mar 3rd, 2007, 7:59am »

well, in that direction, I guess no one can beat 2 sent 2 rejected, 100%..  At last, finally perfect at something.... my mark of status I guess..   actually I did not know how to spell "fig lee de"... Any Jean Shepard (K2ORS) fans still around?   Ed

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2007, 8:01am by EdM » Logged

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #83 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 11:45am »

on Mar 2nd, 2007, 4:22pm, EdM wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I will accept them.... .  Ed

what you gotta website? If so post'em.....i dont mind.

EdM
Railfan

« Reply #84 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 12:27pm »

Naw,  'ave no website. sir.  Looked at your .71&81, look fine to me.. The photos have trains and tracks, therefore meet any criteria I would ever require..  I do knock that site a bit, as I believe they are kinda strict, but , boy the photos are super..  Sumpin to emulate, but, alas, my ego cannot stand quite that much rejection.. (maybe the guys that continue to contribute like S&M?)    Smile... ED

PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 10:32am »

I have eight photos on Railpictures.net at present, but have also been rejected six times. Most of the reasons for rejection are valid, judged by the photographs on that site. However, recently one of the screeners has taken it upon himself to reject photos for "BAD MOTIVE". In other words, they are rejecting technically acceptable photos because they don't like WHY you took the photo. I don't feel that "BAD MOTIVE" is a valid reason in itself, bit I guess that is why I am not a photo screener.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #86 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 12:03pm »

PVMRR76,

I agree with you whole heartedly.  As long as a photo meets the technical qualifications, whose to say that everyone else that looks at that site would not like a photo.  That is what the 'People's Choise' and 'Screeners Choice' are for and even just the view counter.  I look at all photos as the thumbnails, but I only open the ones that grab my attention.  When I get a rejection of a photo that won't go through that I really like whether the technicalities are there or not, it goes to my Yahoo photos for display which is linked in my RP profile.  I'm still fairly new at "Railfanning" with about 1 1/2 years, although I have always liked trains.  I admit that I used to bombard RP with a lot of so-so photos, but I feel that I have gotten better at screening my own photos before sending junk in now that I know what RP is looking for.  A lot of times I don't agree with them, but I guess it is their site.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Ashley_John
Former Member
  CNJ3683pburg_jpg_40416fix1.jpg - 158233 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 9:45pm »

on Aug 5th, 2005, 4:45pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
And my favorite...
Taken with  a Kodak Brownie when I was 15 years old

-Charlie

PS - None of these images were heavily Photoshopped...only resized, given a slight increase in contrast, and sharpened.

And here it is with a little color correction.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/CNJ3683pburg_jpg_40416fix1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

bully4tr
Historian
  Las_Vegas_004_1288x960-2_772x576.jpg - 74514 Bytes
« Reply #88 on: Jul 1st, 2007, 7:42pm »

Here is a photo of the Grand Canyon Railways 2-8-0 I photographed in Williams Arizona and I tried to put it onto the RailPictures website and was not able to do so. If someone can help me I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks,
Geoff

on May 27th, 2005, 12:22pm, RobR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ladies and gentlemen,

The acceptance of photographs on RailPictures.net has become a mark of status in the world of railroad photography.  The downside of that, though, is that photographers naturally become angry when their submissions are rejected by RP.net.  Many photographs posted here have been rejected by RP.net, along with comments expressing the photographers' surprise and anger at the rejections.  I hope the following comments about RP.Net may help.

The goal of RP.Net is to accumulate a collection of railroad photographs that would be suitable for inclusion as illustrations in high-quality books and magazines.  This means that RP.Net isn't just looking for photographs of good trains, it is looking for good photographs that feature trains.  To be accepted into RP.Net, your photograph must be composed well, it must be well lit, and it must be sharp.  In addition, you need to take as much care with your photograph after you click the shutter as you did before you clicked it.  Use PhotoShop or something similar to make sure that your picture is sharp (but not too sharp; oversharpening is ugly), that the colors are pleasing, that brightness and contrast are appropriate, and so on.  

If RP.Net rejects your picture, think about the reason they gave.  Much of the time, when I look at an RP.Net reject and the reason, I agree with the rejection.  I know rejection hurts.  It hurts me when I get a shot rejected from RP.Net (and I haven't yet got one accepted!).  If they say cropping is bad, think about how you might change it.  Play with it.  If they say lighting is bad, try changing brightness or contrast, or play with the Curves feature of your image editing program, and see if you like the result better.  

Keep in mind that RP.Net gets hundreds of submissions.  The selectors do an admirable job of keeping up with the flood, but they're only going to have a couple of seconds to decide on your picture.  If it's not going to make an immediate impact, it's not going to get accepted.  Sometimes the selectors may not have a good idea of exactly why they don't like a shot, so they might choose a reason that doesn't really fit.  Or maybe they're just moving too fast and hit the wrong button.

Perhaps the selectors have a disproportionate number of their own pictures on RP.net.  There may be a couple of reasons for this.  First, they're all good railroad photographers.  Their shots may generally deserve to be there.  Second, maybe they do let some bad shots of their own through.  Why worry?  The bottom line is that it is their site.  Just do your best, learn as much as you can from RP.net and its selectors, and keep trying!

RobR

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/Las_Vegas_004_1288x960-2_772x576.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Joe Hinson
Enthusiast

« Reply #89 on: Jul 14th, 2007, 7:01pm »

on Apr 15th, 2007, 10:32am, PVMRR76 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
However, recently one of the screeners has taken it upon himself to reject photos for "BAD MOTIVE". In other words, they are rejecting technically acceptable photos because they don't like WHY you took the photo. I don't feel that "BAD MOTIVE" is a valid reason in itself, bit I guess that is why I am not a photo screener.

The Bad Motive reject isn't new and it's not limited to one screener. The exact reject reason states --

- Bad Motive: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish.  

More often, it means the screener feels the shot doesn't have a central focus, not the technical focus, but that he doesn't know what the photographer was trying to convey.

Joe

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #90 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 5:39pm »

Is anyone else having problems in getting RP to come up?  I noticed yesterday afternoon at work that it had some issues like not showing all of the menu choices: loco, RR, state, photg, etc.  I also noticed that it was only showing 7 photos per page even though the default 15 was still selected.  I got home last evening, and it won't open at all.  Same for today.  I can't even get the home page to come up at all to check out the forums on there to see about problems.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Joe Hinson
Enthusiast

« Reply #91 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 8:04pm »

Working fine for me as of five minutes ago, both the database and the forum.

Joe H.

bigbassloyd
TRAINing

« Reply #92 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 11:20pm »

Hey all!

I've been lurking here a bit, and decided to post my thoughts on RP.net

I started out, like most, as simply a person who loves trains, and decided to take photos of them..  no real clue about composition, lighting, etc.  I just went.. OOOH TRAIN!! and started snapping.  One day I stumbled across railpictures, and figured I could get a bunch of photos on there..  So I submitted, and was rejected completely.  You name it, I got a rejection for it.  I was mad, confused, and broken hearted.  But I made myself a promise to figure out what I needed to do to break through.  So I read their forums, studied other accepted photos, and started applying them to my photography.  Magically, I started getting photos accepted.  So while RP.net isn't the final say-all of railroad photography, learning from them turned me into a photographer, that takes pictures of trains.

Here's some examples of my early work
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/bigbassloyd/Railroad/?action=view&current=coaleastbound2.jpg
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/bigbassloyd/Railroad/?action=view&current=unit341coaleb.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/bigbassloyd/Railroad/trashtrain2.jpg

Here's some examples of what I can do now
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=194887
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=191717
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=192419

Loyd L.

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2007, 11:21pm by bigbassloyd » Logged

Click here for my Railpictures.net photos!

When the thumper @ MP CA 345.0 hits you with 12 class two defects in one train, you know you've had a bad day.
Railfan Entertainments
Historian
  100_0472_987x857.jpg - 51594 Bytes
« Reply #93 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:48pm »

Here's some pictures that I sent in ane they rejected

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (51594 bytes, 987x857 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 100_0472_987x857.jpg - 51594 Bytes

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
Railfan Entertainments
Historian
  100_0804_904x858.jpg - 81111 Bytes
« Reply #94 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:49pm »

Amtrak

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (81111 bytes, 904x858 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 100_0804_904x858.jpg - 81111 Bytes

Railfan Entertainments
Historian
  100_0424_895x944.jpg - 39613 Bytes
« Reply #95 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:50pm »

Last one

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/100_0424_895x944.jpg
Click Image to Resize

RobR
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:21pm »

What were the reasons they were rejected?  Do you agree with those reasons?  What, if anything, have you learned from their reasons?

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #97 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:41pm »

Poor esthetic quality
Bad angle
size
uderexposed

The last one I can see but not the other ones

RobR
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:53pm »

Which reasons went with which picture?  

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 5:27pm »

The first one was poor esthetic quality and underexposed. And the other reasons were for the second one. I just figured out that I didn't submit the last one.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »