Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 2:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RailPictures.net
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   RailPictures.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RailPictures.net  (Read 2802 times)
Dan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: RailPictures.net

« Reply #60 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 8:50am »

Yikes! That is a pretty good picture. Did you catch the number on that MP15?

Gif from Frograil

Known by CSX crews in NW Georgia as "that kid". Avid MSTS/Trainz/RTC Simmer.
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:10pm »

on Jan 7th, 2006, 8:50am, Dan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yikes! That is a pretty good picture. Did you catch the number on that MP15?

Dan -

It was CSX 1185.

Also, a quick reality check on RP.net... They've taught me some valuable lessons about lighting, shutter speed, cropping, etc. and I think my photos are the better for it.  HOWEVER, they are not the last word in railfan photography, and a rejection from them does NOT mean that a photo is necessarily bad or useless.  Example: a web designer for a RR industry consulting company recently contacted me about using one of my pix as part of their website.  It was a photo that had been rejected by RP.net (for "poor lighting" if I recall correctly).  

So never give up on a pic without a second (or third, or fourth) opinion.

-Charlie

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:16pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
TonytheTiger
Chaser

« Reply #62 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 10:06am »

on Aug 5th, 2005, 6:13pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Grafton is the best.  I can't help but wish I'd been there back in the days when the B&O was the "Best and Only."
-Charlie

If you like Grafton then you'll like this photo of mine that was accepted the other day:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=130998

I contacted the folks at RailPictures before I submitted anything to see what it was that they were looking for.  Since most of my collection is from the era between 1975 and 1988, they said that the older stuff was more interesting.  Now that I have a slide scanner I am in more of a position to share some of my photographs.

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2006, 10:06am by TonytheTiger » Logged
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 10:30am »

on Jan 21st, 2006, 10:06am, TonytheTiger wrote:       (Click here for original message)

If you like Grafton then you'll like this photo of mine that was accepted the other day:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=130998

TonytheTiger -
Wow.....that is GRRRREAT.  A truly impressive power line-up at a classic railroading location.      

And you bring up a good point...not only is RP.net interested in vintage photos, they do understand that today's digital standards cannot be applied to pix from that era (tho I believe your photo would pass muster anywhere, anytime--what equipment did you use?).  

My photos from that time, however, are of slightly less than stellar quality, but I have been able to get a couple accepted.  A favorte from my collection is viewable at RP.net:
CNJ power laying over at Phillipsburg NJ.

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2006, 10:31am by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
TonytheTiger
Chaser
  0804-0028a.jpg - 167327 Bytes
« Reply #64 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 4:20pm »

I got interested in photography in 10th grade and started with a Canon FT with 50mm, 35mm, and 135mm lenses that my parents gave me.  My first job (at age 15) was at a photography store, and by the time I graduated high school (1974) I had saved enough to buy an F-1.  All of the photographs in my collection were taken with that F-1 with either Canon lenses or Bushnell lenses (large telephoto and zoom).    

The vast majority of my collection are 35mm Ektachrome slides stored in chemically neutral plastic sleeves - 20 slides to a sleeve (the rest are a mix of Kodachrome and Fujichrome slides).  I have 8 file drawers of these sleeves with about 32 sleeves to a drawer.  I prepared a rough inventory of my slides from the log books I kept back then listing the year, railroad, location, and any special notes.  If you are interested, I can send you a copy.  

In 1989 I had a financial setback and all of my photographic equipment was sold off.  Things are a lot better now, and last year my wife gave me a Fuji Finepix S5000 for Christmas.  I'm just starting to get back into railroad photography and I may try submitting some of my new work sometime.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/0804-0028a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

silver_champion
Historian
  40-2.jpg - 195593 Bytes
« Reply #65 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 8:10am »

I would like to say thanks to RailPictures.net for all the pictures that they have posted.  Since the time I was a kid, I like to look at pictures of trains.I grew up next to PRR's Washington, Philadelphia to New York City mainline. Now thats what we called. A buddy of mine send time after time watch trains.We went to the Darby station with lunch and watch trains. I do it today. This picture that Railpictures posted, is just what I saw. Only it was with a GG1.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (195593 bytes, 1024x702 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 40-2.jpg - 195593 Bytes

Spooler734
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 2:03pm »

After trying a few times, railpictures.net took two of my pictures. I took these pitures with a HP 5.2 MP camera.  

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=145565

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=144192

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2006, 2:05pm by Spooler734 » Logged

This year is the Western Maryland Scenic Railroads 25th anniversary! Plan your visit this 2013 season at www.wmsr.com
silver_champion
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 9:24am »

I like to thank RailPictures. Net for posting all the pictures that they had.  I would like to see more pictures of the past like in the 40 to the 1960's. Pictures of passenger trains of the past. Keep up the good work.
Silver Champion

bully4tr
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 6:55pm »

Yeah I submitted several pictures to RailPictures and they were all turned down for a multitude of reasons.
What's up with them anyway?
A little uppity on themselves!
Bully4tr

on Jan 6th, 2006, 9:39am, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Dan -
Don't feel too bad... the following image was rejected for "bad color"...
zoinks!

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 7:03pm »

on Sep 1st, 2006, 6:55pm, bully4tr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah I submitted several pictures to RailPictures and they were all turned down for a multitude of reasons.
What's up with them anyway?
A little uppity on themselves!
Bully4tr

Railpictures prides itself on having the best railroad-related photos on the net.  "Best" is of course a matter of opinion.  There are some staggeringly fine photos on the site, but the screeners are very tough, and notoriously inconsistent.  The two Chris's (Starnes and Kilroy) who run the site do put alot of time into the job, but yes, there is an attitude that "if you don't like our standards, start your own website."

I've submitted about 700 pix there over the years, and I believe I have just over 90 acceptances.    But if you're willing to develop a thick skin, it's a fine lplace to post your photos.

A few ground rules seem to be:
1. Submit only your best work.
2. Rejected photos can be tweaked in Photoshop and resubmitted (and there's even a dialog box to tell the screener what you fixed).
3. There is also an appeals process if you really thnk a rejection is bogus.
4. Older photos of classic equipment are not subject to the same scrutiny as say a CSX AC4400CW.

Best of luck.

And don't take rejections too seriously.  Remember, you can always post your pix here.  We'd like to see 'em.
-Charlie

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 11:35pm »

I've only had one photo accepted by RP.net (of CN 2-6-0 #89 at the Strasburg Railroad), and it's not one I find really that great. I've had pics rejected that are much better, IMO. And Charlie's right, even if RP doesn't like them, we always will appreciate them. I've seen some pretty decent photos of yours. Just give it time, and the ideal shot will come, sometimes when and where you least expect it (that's what happened to me, anyway). Having a good camera helps too, so if your camera is older, try getting a newer one.

Brian

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2006, 11:39pm by 90Fan » Logged

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
csxwilsmere
Former Member

« Reply #71 on: Jan 26th, 2007, 8:27pm »

This photo got rejected from RP.net a couple of years ago.

Because of
1. Common Power
2.Common Angle
3. Common Crop?or some junk like that.

photo here...  http://forums.railfan.net/image.cgi?NS/nsclay2_816x612.jpg

EdM
Railfan

« Reply #72 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 9:23am »

I have been posting with them recently, tho not submitting photos.  they seem to have created a "higher" standard and most of the posts concern defining that standard, or rather attempting to define that standard.  As I have said elsewhere, I like all you photos, and if I didn't, I would not tell you because I would not want you demotavated...  Bottom line is that snobs must have standards to prove something to themselves.. I will probably be banned over there sooner or later.   Let 'em be..

a spinner of many antennas, tall tales and outright lies.. de k2lck
XBNSFer
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 9:39pm »

Quote:
And you bring up a good point...not only is RP.net interested in vintage photos, they do understand that today's digital standards cannot be applied to pix from that era

Digital standards?? Film is a superior, not inferior, medium vs. digital, and any film can be rescanned as scanning technology improves, as opposed to digital images that are "stuck" in whatever resolution they were taken in (in particular if they are taken in compressed formats, i.e., jpeg), as the cameras become obsolete almost before the expiration date on a new roll of film. Scans don't even capture all of the information on film, so so-called "comparisons" are between digital images and film images transferred into an alternate medium at reduced-resolution. If people took care to get quality scans, their film images wouldn't have any trouble looking top-notch; from some of what I've seen, a good deal of photos on Railpictures, their allegedly high standards notwithstanding, need to be leveled, for example, (which can be done in Photoshop), leaving one to wonder why that doesn't warrant rejection like so many other arbitrary excuses.

Any step down in quality that might be seen in more "vintage" photos has to do primarily with people not using tripods, using film that was too slow to stop the action, etc. It has nothing to do with the medium being something "less" than digital - quite the reverse, in fact. Railpictures' willingness to accept whatever deficiencies in older photos because nobody can go out today and shoot what was recorded back then is just another example of their hypocrisy as respects their so-called "standards."

"I'm with ya Manny...I'm with ya till the wheels come off" - Eric Roberts, "Runaway Train"
EdM
Railfan

« Reply #74 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 8:10am »

As the "pixel count" of digital becomes higher and digital processing speed and data storage medium size continues to improve, film use will continue to decline, probably almost to zero..   One of the problems with film that is often not mentioned by those of us who are too young to have had to remove it, is mold.  Fading is also a lessor problem with slides.   Digital media should not suffer from deterioration over time although older media may become difficult to read.  (know anyone who can still read a 5 1/4 floppy.... well how about one of the single sided 110K ones?)..   Also important is the fact that copying digital media results in NO loss of quality, not so for film.    All in all, I would suggest putting your silver mine up for sale, as the question, I believe, is not "whether" but "when"...   Ed

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 2:32pm »

think these would be accepted?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/RTABus/IMG_2371.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/RTABus/IMG_2381.jpg

RobR
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 3:21pm »

Not a chance.  Far too dark.

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
EdM
Railfan

« Reply #77 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 4:22pm »

I will accept them.... .  Ed

railfan1979
Historian

« Reply #78 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 5:06pm »

Those are good pics IMO, but railpictures is very stringent about accepting photos taken in cloudy conditions, believe me, i've submitted many of them and always get rejected. unless the photo is 25 yrs. old, your chances are slim. but do'nt let that stop you from bringin' em here for us to see!

siouxline
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #79 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:14pm »

Hello,
I am very impressed by the high quality of the images on RP.  Like many who have replied here, I too have had most rejected which were submitted.  After re-Photoshopping, I usually get a different reason for rejection which convinces me to give up.  I'll continue to submit images anyway & am glad the site exists.  I got extremely frustrated when the image below was rejected for "poor lighting."  Anyway, I am glad to share it here.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=184759444&context=set-72157594325640259&size=l

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »