Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:53am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RailPictures.net
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   RailPictures.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RailPictures.net  (Read 2826 times)
Charlie_O
Historian
Re: RailPictures.net

« Reply #40 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 1:54pm »

Mike -

I hear ya.  

rrpicturearchives.net is a place to post your pix without being screened.  What they do offer is an encyclopedic and searchable archive that lets you search by RR, loco model, photographer, and even location (using a map feature).    

As for RP.net, they really don't like alot of air around the subject of a photo, and I've gotten dinged a few times for "bad cropping."  For what it's worth, I think your Amtrak GP15s would definitely get accepted with a tighter crop...as would the nose shot of the P&W.  The profile shot probably can't be cropped to suit their tastes. Unfortunate, not only because these are excellent shots with good light and interesting subjects, but also because alot of context is lost by a tight crop.  

I once submitted a photo of D&H 7303 during its brief stay along the Philly waterfront.  The pic was rejected because of ground clutter (i.e., trash).  Welcome to Philly, I thought.  Actually the old Geep in that context looked rather tragic, and I thought the trash actually added to the mood of the photo.  

Anyway, dont take the rejects too seriously.  I've enjoyed the pix you post here and hope you will continue to do so.  
-Charlie

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2005, 1:56pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Conrail6707
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 2:08pm »

on Aug 14th, 2005, 5:14pm, WM734fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Things that I notice about RailPictures.net is that they like modern diesels a lot. I'm a big steam fan, and half of my photos probobly get rejected for that reason. I posted a pic of a diesel and they took it. Half the battle is wondering what they are looking for, not the quality. Could this be true at all? Because this is how I look at them...

-Colin

I'd say 95 out of 100 of my shots are taken on NS, but 6 of 16 I have on RP are tourist RR shots, so I doubt they don't like steam.

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 4:46pm »

Mike -  

The shot on the river and the shot of 5308 in the gorge are great! One thing I've learned from hearing all the "big heads" at RP slam people's shots, is that they really want the train to be huge most of the time, with not much scenery. I definately don't agree with that. I think less people would take it personal if they actually took some time to explain, instead of giving a blunt "bad motive", or "bad cropping".  

I don't try with RP anymore, for the reason that I've only gotten two accepted (both of tourist lines in PA, those obviously aren't plentiful where I normally 'fan here in NC), and for the fact that I don't even get rejection emails anymore. I'm perfectly fine with sharing my photography (be it up to RP's standards or not) here on Railfan.net.

Cy

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2005, 4:47pm by Southern Green » Logged

Go Braves!

MH765
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 9:31am »

Charlie is right. I've found RRPictureArchives to be very helpful. I very rarely get photos into RailPictures, because they always reject mine for some stupid reason. I recommend RRPA to anyone.

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
sergio_vadora
Historian
  017_017.jpg - 92767 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 7:20am »

Everyone of you is right, but just for example, this photo was rejected because  "...out of the spirit of the archive..."
Do you agree?
Sergio, Italy.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/017_017.jpg
Click Image to Resize

spikemic
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 10:54pm »

on Oct 7th, 2005, 7:20am, sergio_vadora wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 "...out of the spirit of the archive..."

what the heck does that mean?

member Reading Company Technical & Historical Society MP&RE group - Reading Railroad Heritage Museum
metal craftsman/welder/fabricator/jack of all trades
WMSR_734
Former Member
  475src_2.jpg - 102642 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 10:48pm »

Does anyone have a clue why this pic was rejected? They said it was underexposed, when my back was at the sun and you could see my shattow in the orriginal pic before I cropped it. Tell me what you think...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/475src_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #47 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 11:01pm »

I think it's great! Recently I tried to get a pic on there and it was rejected for 4 different reasons!

Gif from Frograil

Known by CSX crews in NW Georgia as "that kid". Avid MSTS/Trainz/RTC Simmer.
RobR
Historian
  475src_2_brighter.jpg - 39995 Bytes
« Reply #48 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 8:04am »

Perhaps they rejected it as underexposed because it was actually underexposed.  Every now and then the people at RP.net give a valid reason for what they do.  Consider this version, which took me about 30 seconds in Microsoft Picture Editor.  I just bumped up the brightness and contrast a bit, and the result looks like it was taken on a sunny day.

RobR

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/475src_2_brighter.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 9:27am »

Rob -
Well done!  Was about to suggest the same when I saw yr post.    

Colin -
This also goes to show that RP.net rejections are not always permanent.  We as submitters have two options: appeal the rejection or fix the photo.  That does NOT mean the screeeners are always right or consistent.  It DOES mean that when I receive a rejection, I must look at my photo critically and re-evaluate it for any possible flaws.

Case in point... I recently submitted a pic of Housatonic RR train NX-12 passing thru Lee, Massacusetts.  I took the pic during a camping vacation a couple of months back.  It's not a place I can revisit conveniently, so I really hoped the photo would be good enough as is.  

The pic as rejected as "overexposed," even tho I had done my best to position myself with the sun at my back (and on the nose of the loco) and to fix other problems (obscuring weeds, etc.) in Photoshop.  

I let it go for awhile (till I could let my ego heal), then went onto the RP.net discussion forums to ask their advice.  I told them it was probably a once-in-a-lifetime shot (my lifetime anyway), and asked whether there was anything I could do to fix it.  I got some suggestions, but all agreed it was overexposed.  I still couldn't see what they were talking about.

So I let it sit another month.  Then the other day I took a last stab at fixing the pic in Photoshop.   I desaturated the color, reduced the contrast, and then selectively brightened the deepest shadows until some detail emerged.  Then I resubmitted the pic, without much hope for succes (frankly, to me, it looked worse than the original, but at least it didn't seem "overexposed").  

You already know where this story is going...the photo was accepted.  Now we can read this in one of two ways:
1. I critically re-evaluated and repaired a flawed photograph based on valid criticism and advice.
or
2. I reduced the quality of a good photo to pander to somebody's whim.

That I suppose is an individual's decision to make.  My personal jury is still out, as it seems that many of the pix that I like would be considered "overexposed."  Yet, I did get some validation for the photo (and myself) by having it accepted.

I guess the question is: How badly do we need the trumpets and confetti?
-Charlie

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005, 9:30am by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
RobR
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 12:14pm »

Colin,

Your post illustrates a couple of points about railroad photography.  

Point 1:  As Charlie pointed out, in order to get accepted into a forum with high standards, you need to be able to look at your own photographs objectively.  That can be extremely difficult, but it is critical to improving your photography.  

Point 2:  Your work is only beginning when you press the shutter.  If you want to convey feeling as well as fact with your pictures, you need to spend time in PhotoShop.  Is your picture sharp enough?  Is it too dark or too light?  Is the color balance good?  Can you improve the composition by cropping it differently?  Are there any specks that need to be cleaned up?  Are there any distracting elements that can be cloned out?  (OK, I know some people consider that cheating.)  I was a black-and-white film photographer for decades before I was a train photographer.  I'd think nothing of spending two hours to get a single image perfect.  Sometimes you need to spend that much time or more on a digital photograph, too.

Point 3:  A camera tries to make everything middle gray.  On a bright day with a lot of sky in the picture, middle gray is too dark.  Learn to understand what your camera is going to do and what you have to do to adjust for unusual conditions.  In this case, you could have realized how bright everything was and adjusted your camera to overexpose by about 1/2 stop (or, if your camera works like mine in increments of 1/3 stop, overexpose by 2/3 stop).  

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #51 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 12:58pm »

on Nov 8th, 2005, 12:14pm, RobR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Colin,

Your post illustrates a couple of points about railroad photography.  

Point 1:  As Charlie pointed out, in order to get accepted into a forum with high standards, you need to be able to look at your own photographs objectively.  That can be extremely difficult, but it is critical to improving your photography.  

Point 2:  Your work is only beginning when you press the shutter.  If you want to convey feeling as well as fact with your pictures, you need to spend time in PhotoShop.  Is your picture sharp enough?  Is it too dark or too light?  Is the color balance good?  Can you improve the composition by cropping it differently?  Are there any specks that need to be cleaned up?  Are there any distracting elements that can be cloned out?  (OK, I know some people consider that cheating.)  I was a black-and-white film photographer for decades before I was a train photographer.  I'd think nothing of spending two hours to get a single image perfect.  Sometimes you need to spend that much time or more on a digital photograph, too.

Point 3:  A camera tries to make everything middle gray.  On a bright day with a lot of sky in the picture, middle gray is too dark.  Learn to understand what your camera is going to do and what you have to do to adjust for unusual conditions.  In this case, you could have realized how bright everything was and adjusted your camera to overexpose by about 1/2 stop (or, if your camera works like mine in increments of 1/3 stop, overexpose by 2/3 stop).  

RobR

Thanks for the tips, Rob and Charlie. I will look into that pic that you doctored up for me. I would love to modify things in Photo Shop, but I don't have it. Thanks again for the helpful pointers. But, one thing I can't understand is how I got THIS PHOTO in. What does this pic have that the one of 475 didn't?

-Colin

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005, 1:06pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 4:29pm »

on Nov 8th, 2005, 12:58pm, WMSR_734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks for the tips, Rob and Charlie. I will look into that pic that you doctored up for me. I would love to modify things in Photo Shop, but I don't have it. Thanks again for the helpful pointers. But, one thing I can't understand is how I got THIS PHOTO in. What does this pic have that the one of 475 didn't?

-Colin

Colin -
The pic you had accepted has perfect lighting...no dark shadows...all the features of the loco are illuminated, as is the background.  At twilight, sometimes the difference between "perfect lighting" and "too dark" can be a matter of seconds.  
-Charlie

RobR
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 5:04pm »

Colin,

Thanks for the link to the picture you had accepted.  That is a really gorgeous shot!  

But it leads to the following question:  Why didn't you answer your question yourself?  The lighting in the two pictures is so different.  If you looked at them objectively, it would have been immediately obvious that the picture that was accepted had beautiful lighting and the one that was rejected was dark and flat.  

You mentioned earlier that you don't have PhotoShop.  You don't need it.  I'm pretty sure that Microsoft Picture Editor comes with the Windows XP operating system.  There may be similar things with earlier OS's.  Picture Editor has simple things that let you adjust brightness and contrast and sharpen your pictures and so on.  You can go to www.gimp.org and download the GIMP editor.  You can do just about everything there that you can in PhotoShop (maybe more -- I haven't come near to exploring it's full capabilities), and you can't beat the price:  FREE!

RobR

WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #54 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 5:28pm »

RobR and Charlie- thanks again for all your help. I guess the lighting is the secret! Thanks for that link there, Rob, I'll try to download it and mess around with it. Thanks for the comments on that pic too.

-Colin

WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #55 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 7:02pm »

on Nov 8th, 2005, 5:04pm, RobR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Colin,

Thanks for the link to the picture you had accepted.  That is a really gorgeous shot!  

But it leads to the following question:  Why didn't you answer your question yourself?  The lighting in the two pictures is so different.  If you looked at them objectively, it would have been immediately obvious that the picture that was accepted had beautiful lighting and the one that was rejected was dark and flat.  

You mentioned earlier that you don't have PhotoShop.  You don't need it.  I'm pretty sure that Microsoft Picture Editor comes with the Windows XP operating system.  There may be similar things with earlier OS's.  Picture Editor has simple things that let you adjust brightness and contrast and sharpen your pictures and so on.  You can go to www.gimp.org and download the GIMP editor.  You can do just about everything there that you can in PhotoShop (maybe more -- I haven't come near to exploring it's full capabilities), and you can't beat the price:  FREE!

RobR

Rob-  
I tryed the link you gave me, but I can't seem to figure out how to download it. Can you give me a link for the downloading?

Thanks,
-Colin

RobR
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 10:13pm »

Go to http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html.  Download GTK+ 2 for Windows, Gimp for Windows, and the help files.  Install them in that order.

RobR

EdM
Railfan

« Reply #57 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 8:29am »

I have said/thought some kinda unkind things about those guys and their rejections, but the pictures I do see there, and I watch it daily, are really really super, of a quality I would be proud to have taken..   So I just worship from afar.    Ed

a spinner of many antennas, tall tales and outright lies.. de k2lck
Dan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

ReconinPaper003_2.jpg - 279000 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 1:59am »

This one was rejected!

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (279000 bytes, 1238x693 pixels)

Click Here to View Image ReconinPaper003_2.jpg - 279000 Bytes

Gif from Frograil

Known by CSX crews in NW Georgia as "that kid". Avid MSTS/Trainz/RTC Simmer.
Charlie_O
Historian
  CSX_5249.jpg - 164546 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 9:39am »

on Jan 6th, 2006, 1:59am, Dan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This one was rejected!

Dan -
Don't feel too bad... the following image was rejected for "bad color"...
zoinks!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/CSX_5249.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »